Author Topic: Feature Requests List  (Read 2484985 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Feature Requests List
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
I know this would probably be a huge job... but it would be nice if you could create a forked version for FFox 3.x, that takes advantage of its native sqlite capability that it uses for its new 'places' functionality that replaces bookmarks.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
I'm voting for Search

For those of us who have many passwords that even having them in groups can't help, a search feature for the field Notes (or any other, maybe?) could be quite useful! For example: search in all groups, or search in a particular group.

Cheers!

Vote recorded - you have 4 more docdee...

docdee

« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »
Hello, again!

I wish to add a new vote. This time it's for: Merge imports/append imports.

Thanks!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #333 on: June 17, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
Done...

You have 3 more votes...

Matt

« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13:40 AM »
I want to vote for
Password Template Filter

LkonKbd

« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:59 AM »
How would we know what each of us have voted for?  Not meaning to know where others have placed a vote, but; like for myself?  Or will I need to search this 334 message, 23pages to see where my votes are?  Just curious.

Thank you for being there and assisting in keeping this ship afloat and on course, to tanstaafl, quixn, Miquel 'Fire', and Eric, what a wonderful job you have done and are doing.  Keep up this great work, I THANK YOU each and every one,

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #336 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »
The first post should be keeping track.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline etechnophile

• Normal Members
« Reply #337 on: December 04, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
I've already requested for one of my votes to be cast for Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI in http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php/topic,1560.0.html. I'd like to use my 3 of remaining 4 votes for the following feature requests arranged in descending order of priority.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »
I've already requested for one of my votes to be cast for Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI in http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php/topic,1560.0.html. I'd like to use my 3 of remaining 4 votes for the following feature requests arranged in descending order of priority.

Meh, can't we take Encrypt passwordmaker.rdf off the list and just recommend a 3rd-party encryption tool like TrueCrypt and friends?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #339 on: December 05, 2008, 03:10:26 PM »
Meh, can't we take Encrypt passwordmaker.rdf off the list and just recommend a 3rd-party encryption tool like TrueCrypt and friends?

I think thats reasonable... of course it would be 'nice' to be able to do it natively, but I'm mainly only worried about my RDF file when I upload it to an FTP server (for 'syncing'), but I always zip/encrypt it anyway, so having native encryption really wouldn't give me anything I don't already have.

This goes double if it is a lot of work, and if it was trivial to implement, I imagine you would have already done it... ;)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #340 on: December 05, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »

Done, except for the 'Encrypt RDF file' choice... if Eric can be convinced to leave this, I'll add it, but personally I don't think it will stay.

Eric - can you comment on how much work this would be? Like I said earlier, if it is a lot of work, I don't think it is worth it since there are other ways to accomplish this, but if it was trivial, I'd argue in favor of it...

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #341 on: December 05, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
Anything with the RDF is not trivial for me. Actually, the structure of the Firefox extension as whole is not trivial for me. :P

I almost want to see a rewrite to have a cleaner code base, and hopefully something that is easier for the outsider to figure where to find things. But that's too much work in of itself that can be better spent on something like, feature completing the Desktop Edition for example (and other editions that are considered in active development, like this J2ME version someone is working on)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #342 on: December 05, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
Anything with the RDF is not trivial for me. Actually, the structure of the Firefox extension as whole is not trivial for me. :P
The folder structure is pretty standard so I'm curious what you mean.

I almost want to see a rewrite to have a cleaner code base, and hopefully something that is easier for the outsider to figure where to find things
I absolutely agree.

Eric - can you comment on how much work this would be? Like I said earlier, if it is a lot of work, I don't think it is worth it since there are other ways to accomplish this, but if it was trivial, I'd argue in favor of it...
if all you want  is encryption for upload/download, it's not a lot of work,. But if you want it  100% of the time, it's more work but still doable. My concern is its affect on performance. It could make the extension very slow on older machines if we had encryption 100% of the time.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #343 on: December 05, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »
Here's my thoughts on the encryption:

* PasswordMaker should have a app wide memory to store things, like the unencrypted version of the RDF file or at least the settings read from it, memory stored Master password, and whatever else multiple windows normally keeping their own copy of stuff would do. Currently, it's per (browser) window, so someone using more than one window will have to enter their master password multiple times
* When the RDF is encrypted, then when the first instance of it runs (assuming the shared memory thing is being done) then read the encrypted file, unencrypt it, read the settings. And only when a change is made is the file written to disk. This way, only the encrypted file will be on the disk.

Also, the XML format I'm using for the Desktop Edition has an encryption attribute. I planned on having it be encryptable at some point (hopefully before 1.0). I was thinking of making a flag or something to handle a salt to go with the file (or as a key for HMAC-SHA256 hash on the encryption password)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »
Desktop Edition has an encryption attribute. I planned on having it be encryptable at some point (hopefully before 1.0). I was thinking of making a flag or something to handle a salt to go with the file (or as a key for HMAC-SHA256 hash on the encryption password)
Nice. Where would the salt be stored?

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »