Author Topic: How to create a new account within a group  (Read 10069 times)

Offline etechnophile

• Normal Members
How to create a new account within a group
« on: December 03, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »
I have two gmail accounts and want Passwordmaker to generate two different passwords for them depending on the username. After reading http://passwordmaker.org/Firefox/Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Flock/Netscape/GettingStarted and http://passwordmaker.org/Firefox/Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Flock/Netscape/Advanced, I think what I need to do is create two separate accounts.

To do this, I opened the Passwordmaker Advanced Options, selected Accounts tab, then selected New Group from drop-down list. After giving a name, I clicked on the name of my newly created group and selected New Account from the drop-down list above it. I got a new dialog box with the title "Passwordmaker Account-Specific Settings". There were two fields here, Name and Notes, both of which were grayed out. In the URLs tab, nothing happened when I clicked on Add, Edit, Copy and Delete Pattern buttons. Pattern Help button worked though. In Extended tab, I filled out all fields except Modifier, Password Prefix and Password Suffix. I left the Advanced Auto-Populate tab blank.

And that's where I encountered a problem. I clicked the OK button and nothing happened. The dialog box didn't close as it was supposed to. I then tried clicking the Cancel button with the same result. The close button in the upper-right corner of the dialog box closed it, but my account wasn't created.

I selected New Account from the drop-down list again and tried clicking the Cancel button this time without filling out any of the fields. It didn't close. I tried the OK button. That gave me a popup message saying "A minimum of two characters are required in the characters field." Clicking the OK button of this popup message got rid of it, but the "Passwordmaker Account-Specific Settings" dialog box didn't go away. Only the close button in the upper-right corner seemed to close it.

I did make a goof-up which might be responsible for this problem. I moved my Defaults account into my newly created group, and then deleted the Defaults account, leaving the group intact. I thought perhaps Defaults account was required for Passwordmaker to work properly, but I couldn't recreate it. (I couldn't create any account as explained earlier.) So I uninstalled Passwordmaker extension, restarted Firefox and then reinstalled the extension. But I found that all my settings were preserved, including the master password and deleted Defaults account.

So my question is, how do I create new accounts since the OK button doesn't seem to work? Am I doing something wrong? I'll be glad to provide any further information required to solve this problem.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: How to create a new account within a group
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:17:50 AM »
I did make a goof-up which might be responsible for this problem. I moved my Defaults account into my newly created group, and then deleted the Defaults account, leaving the group intact. I thought perhaps Defaults account was required for Passwordmaker to work properly, but I couldn't recreate it. (I couldn't create any account as explained earlier.) So I uninstalled Passwordmaker extension, restarted Firefox and then reinstalled the extension. But I found that all my settings were preserved, including the master password and deleted Defaults account.

This is the highlight that I know has something to do with PasswordMaker breaking. Actually, you're not supposed to be able to delete, let alone move, the default account, and it not being there can case all sorts of issues.

If you don't have any settings you have to keep, you can just delete the passwordmaker.rdf file that is in your directory. If you want to keep them write them down (exporting in HTML may work, but who knows if it will) then delete the file. BTW, make sure Firefox is closed (check task mananger) before deleting the file. It's in the profile directory, which I'm sure you can find a link on these forums on how to find it.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »
Another problem that would have never happened if the Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI were implemented.

This kind of problem (related to the 'Defaults' account and the differences between the 'Basic' options and the 'Advanced' options, and is, imho, the biggest downside to PWM and new users...

I actually have a 'new' idea that basically incorporates most of the ideas that have been bandied about on simplifying the GUI... I'm still re-reading some of those threads, and working on some screenshots, and will post back when done... I'm excited about this, because it will eliminate all of the reasons that I hesitate to turn other people on to PWM - like my boss, who is a computer idiot, and probably would end up locking himself out of all of his accounts and blame for it...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:40:39 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline etechnophile

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
Thank you Miquel 'Fire' Burns, deleting passwordmaker.rdf file solved the problem. PasswordMaker now asks me which account to use out of two that I have created and fills up username and password fields accordingly.

Actually, you're not supposed to be able to delete, let alone move, the default account
Do you mean to say that GUI should not have allowed me to delete defaults account in the first place? If yes, I agree with you there. I'll probably use one of my votes on Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI feature suggested by tanstaafl or any other feature which changes the GUI to make deleting defaults account impossible.

Once again, thank you for helping me out.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:56:26 PM »
I'll probably use one of my votes on Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI feature suggested by tanstaafl or any other feature which changes the GUI to make deleting defaults account impossible.

It doesn't prevent the Defaults account from being deleted, it simply converts the 'Defaults' from an 'Account' that shows up in the Accounts list, to plain 'Settings' that show up on a Tab.

See the above referenced thread and screenshots for what I mean...

Then let me know if I should add a vote from you for it...

Offline etechnophile

• Normal Members
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Yes, please add a vote from me to Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI feature. Thanks.

Offline orion

• Normal Members
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:17:57 AM »
Yes, please add a vote from me to Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI feature. Thanks.

I'm glad this issue has been discussed. I ran into this exact same problem today. Moved Defaults to a group and then deleted. Couldn't create any accounts after that. After messing with it some more, I ended up removing the rdf file and reinstalling it. It all began when I didn't see my newly created accounts in 'Choose Account' dialog because of improper URL patterns. For a moment I thought this whole thing is not ready for prime time, especially trusting important logins and stuff. Tool is good, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Regards,
Orion.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »
Shall I add a vote for this Feature Request Orion?

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »