Author Topic: Dashboard Widget Available HERE!!!  (Read 11279 times)

Offline dbw784

Dashboard Widget Available HERE!!!
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I downloaded the mobile version of passwordmaker and converted it into a convenient dashboard widget. It is exactly the same as the mobile version, except you can access it from Dashboard now. I added 4 lines of HTML code to change the text and background colors (since the background was transparent in Dashboard). It is pretty rough, but it does its job. If anyone wants to add a little style to it, I'd appreciate it. You can view the source and edit the HTML by ctrl- clicking the .wdgt and choosing "Show package contents". Enjoy!

-Daniel
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 01:46:39 AM by dbw784 »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:35:52 AM »
I cleaned up your mess.

And which Dashboard? Vista or OS X? (Can't test either anyway)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline dbw784

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:54:29 AM »
Quote from: miquelfire
I cleaned up your mess.

And which Dashboard? Vista or OS X? (Can't test either anyway)
After some further testing, the widget doesn't work quite as well as I had hoped and so I took the link down. However, it's pretty easy to make the widget. There is a free tool called Amnesty Generator that turns any html code into a Dashboard Widget (Dashboard is OS X). The problem is in the mobile code, not the widget. However, the full Javascript version would work nicely, if only I knew how to alter its appearance so the form appears on the left instead of the center (ie without a margin). Then it would be easier to fit it into a widget-like interface and create a sleeker (and smaller) interface. If you're interested in taking over, just Google Amnesty Generator and you'll find the tool.

P.S. Isn't the quote, "I'm not drunk. I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking."?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:41:14 AM »
1) I made the quote
2) I don't drink. 25 years going strong!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:16:56 AM »
dbw784, please post the widget so we can hack away at it to make it look nice... then we can post it on the main site for download by all.

Offline dbw784

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:59:23 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
dbw784, please post the widget so we can hack away at it to make it look nice... then we can post it on the main site for download by all.

OK, here it is.  Remember, I have little experience with coding, so I have no idea how to adjust the style of the javascript. However, the widget works... it's just ugly and a little unintuitive. If you could work it down to the size of the mobile version, it would be perfect.

Here's the link:

http://hometown.aol.com/Dbw784/PasswordMaker.wdgt.zip

Download and enjoy!

(remember, to edit the HTML, just crt-click the .wdgt and click show package contents.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:02:47 AM by dbw784 »

Offline dbw784

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
Where is everybody? I posted this a week ago and have zero responses?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 02:24:51 AM »
Hard to do anything without a Mac.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 02:39:03 PM »
Agreed--I have no access to a mac and am unlikely to buy one in the future. However, if you are confident that it works, I can bring it to Kinko's Copy Center, try it on a mac to make sure it works, then post it on the main site for all to download. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:40:01 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline dbw784

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »
Well I know it works. It's just really big. Like opening the full web page. the point of a dashboard widget is that it is a small, easily accessible program that can be reached with the push of a button. however, if you switch to dashboard with this open, it will take up (almost) your entire screen. If I could get the mobile version to work, it would be worth posting. If you could simply create a javascript version with a smaller footprint, I can take that make it into a widget. but as it is right now, the size of the window is too impractical.

One question: Why doesn't the mobile version of passwordmaker work?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 05:05:02 PM »
It post to the server.

I believe some basic HTML and CSS knowledge will allow you to make it smaller or whatever.

Offline dbw784

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 01:08:25 AM »

I believe some basic HTML and CSS knowledge will allow you to make it smaller or whatever.

of which I lack. Oh well, maybe someone else will pick up the project and add the necessary fixes.

LkonKbd

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
1) I made the quote
2) I don't drink. 25 years going strong!

MiquelFire,

Congratulations on 25 years, I am on 31 or 33 years, depending on how strict you are with the rules.  I stopped in 1974 then in 1976 went to the local rodeo with a friend that was still drinking and he gave me a beer.  I told him, "I don't drink any longer."  He told me, "drink it or wear it."  So I did and when he returned with two more I told him, "drink them or you will wear them."  He did.  I didn't.  And still don't.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS,

LkonKbd

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 08:22:22 PM »
Hard to do anything without a Mac.

Eric H. Jung' date=[/b]'Apr 20 2007, 09:39 AM' post='1279757']   Agreed--I have no access to a mac and am unlikely to buy one in the future.

OK, then I can donate a MAC 4 U 2 use, I have had it for a year, my friend that gave it to me had it stored in his barn about 5 or 6 years.  Neither one of us have had it plugged in so do not know how good or bad it is, if anyone wants to come by and pick it up.  BAG!!!

Maybe one day I will be able to make it work again, have spent the last 6-8 months on an old laptop, Toshiba Satellite 2505CDS, that weights about 10# and have it working now.  Except for the keyboard it seems to be a total screwed mess.  Some keys work, most really except some will give double characters and others will just thumb their little noses at me.  I usually plug in an external keyboard and use the mouse post in the keyboard of the laptop.

BTW that little BAG means BigA__edGrin,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:53 AM »
Quote from: dbw784
One question: Why doesn't the mobile version of passwordmaker work?
OMFG. Again? The page just comes back blank (after a few minutes of nothing)

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:53 AM »