Author Topic: Gradually Changing All Passwords  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Shope

• Normal Members
Gradually Changing All Passwords
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:20:06 PM »
I've been using this great program for a while and I can't tell you how much I enjoy it.  I'm run it with portablefirefox and am able to have a secure situation anywhere I go.  Plus, all my extensions with me.

I decided that, just to be more secure, and because I really didn't set it up the way I wanted initially (e.g. Myspace wants letters and numbers and the password generated off my default just happens to have no numbers for that url, so I use the old one, which really, could be guessed if you knew enough about me), I'd like to switch over all my passwords from the current configuration to a new one.  I'd make the new one have a  leading capital, only lowercase letters and numbers, and a trailing number, just to make sure that it will satisfy all logins.

However, I don't want to make this some great mission that I sit here for hours and go to everywhere I can remember that I have an account and log in to change it.  I'd like to gradually be able to change things over.  That requires that I have the current default setup still around, right?

Here's what I thought I could do:  Move the default settings into a custom (I guess by manually jotting them down and re-entering them), and set up a new default.  Use the custom to populate the login and then the old password data in the change password dialog.  Then use the default to make the new password, and use it to log in from then on.

Uh, am I thinking right?  Also, it looks like to use the custom in the way I'm talking about that I'd have to manually paste in the whatever.org domain to get the right password.

Uh, Help?

---EDITED TO ADD---

Nevermind, I found a way.  (I knew that'd happen as soon as I asked for help)

Here's what I'm doing.  The new custom, unedited, is the same as the default.  When getting to the new site, if the default pw doesn't work, I log in using the custom and manually enter the url.  It gives me the old PW and then I do the change over process.

Or, is there an even easier way.  Cause, like, this does work.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 05:20:51 PM by John Shope »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:08:45 PM »
Hmmm. anyone know an easier way until you can have multiple settings files?

Offline thibros

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:53:59 PM »
This reminds me of something I've been thinking myself once:
http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?showtopic=924

This would definitely be easier if we divide settings and accounts, and you'd store your old setting and new setting in a settings dialog, and in accounts you'd only choose the appropriate setting from one of the stored ones.

But that's of little help right now.

Is there a way to have two installations of firefox, with their own PasswordMakers? One could have the old settings, and the other the new ones.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:05:28 AM »
Is there a way to have two installations of firefox, with their own PasswordMakers? One could have the old settings, and the other the new ones.
Good thinking. Yes, it's called profiles. Read about it here. Since the settings file is stored in your profile directory, you can have multiple settings--one per profile.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:05:28 AM »