Author Topic: Discover Card secure online account numbers  (Read 4650 times)

David Town

Discover Card secure online account numbers
« on: April 12, 2006, 03:16:17 PM »
Discover Card offers an online tool for generating secure online account numbers.  If you click on the "Launch" button at http://www2.discovercard.com/deskshop/?icm...p_sec_nap_soa_1 a new tab (in my configuration - helpful hint: Disable "Move or resize existing windows" under the "Advanced JavaScript Options") is opened and there is no option to populate with PasswordMaker.   I think it is a Macromedia Flash application.  Is there a way to get PasswordMaker to populate the fields?

Another thing that I tried was to "Copy Generated Password To Clipboard".  The two problems that I had were:

1) The "Default" profile was used instead of my "Discover" account to generate the password.
2) When I pasted the password in (from my "Discover" account), "something" appeared to go wrong.  It looked like my 10 character password was truncated to 2 (based on the number of "*" and the fact that authentication failed).  If I pasted the password to a text editor and then copied and pasted back into the "secure account number" page, it worked??

Thanks,

-David

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »
Hello David,

You are right: this is a Macromedia Flash application. Sorry, there is no way to auto-populate those.

It looked like my 10 character password was truncated to 2 (based on the number of "*" and the fact that authentication failed)
This appears to be a bug in the Flash application or communication between the browser and Flash because if you copy/paste anything into the User ID or password fields, two characters appear but they have nothing to do with the password contents. Try it with something other than PasswordMaker text and you'll see what I mean.

The "Default" profile was used instead of my "Discover" account to generate the password.
Well, can't you just select a different account in the Advanced Settings window? Selecting a different account besdies "Defaults" will show you the passwords for that account.

Hope that helps,
Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »