Author Topic: Uninstalling question  (Read 7344 times)

alpha25201

Uninstalling question
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:11:56 AM »
I was wondering if someone could help me here...if I uninstall the Passwordmaker program from my computer, what will happen to my accounts on the sites that I used Passwordmaker? Can I still log in, or will I be unable to log in to my acounts? What happens to the passwords? Will I be able to create new ones (passwords not generated from the program but of my choosing) after I uninstall the program? I am just scared of uninstalling the program and then being unable to log in to my sites. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Uninstalling question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 10:38:20 AM »
Quote from: alpha25201
I was wondering if someone could help me here...if I uninstall the Passwordmaker program from my computer, what will happen to my accounts on the sites that I used Passwordmaker? Can I still log in, or will I be unable to log in to my acounts? What happens to the passwords? Will I be able to create new ones (passwords not generated from the program but of my choosing) after I uninstall the program? I am just scared of uninstalling the program and then being unable to log in to my sites. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
If you changed all of your accounts to use passwords generated by Passwordmaker, then if you really want to stop using Passwordmaker permanently (why??), then you will need to change your passwords for all of your accounts BEFORE you uninstall it. Change them back, then  uninstall, and you should be fine.

Now, that said... I couldn't live without PWM personally... maybe we could help you if you have been having any problems? There are a lot of settings available in PWM, and it makes it a very powerful program, but it can be a little intimidating at first, too. So, if you have any questions, please, feel free to ask away! There are a lot of knowledgable and friendly people here on the forums to help you out...

Best regards,

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Uninstalling question
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 03:41:32 PM »
To add to what Charles said:

When you uninstall PasswordMaker, the settings file isn't deleted (passwordmaker.rdf). This file is deleted, however, when/if you delete your Firefox profile. A future version will permit you to prevent the settings file from being deleted even when the profile is deleted (by permitting you to store the file anywhere you like).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:34:57 PM by tanstaafl »

Alpha25201

Uninstalling question
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 04:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the help! much appreciated. Based on the first reply that I got on the topic, I was wondering how exactly you change the password for an account. I tried, and I can't seem to figure it out! If the passwordmaker program doesn't ever duplicate the same password, how do you change it? Thanks for all the help!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Uninstalling question
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »
Quote from: Alpha25201
Thanks for the help! much appreciated. Based on the first reply that I got on the topic, I was wondering how exactly you change the password for an account. I tried, and I can't seem to figure it out! If the passwordmaker program doesn't ever duplicate the same password, how do you change it? Thanks for all the help!
Hello again,

I'm glad you decided to stick around for a usage question - maybe we can convince you that PWM is worth the effort...

First, maybe you haven't seen the User Manual? It is a bit outdated, but still worth reading to learn the basics...

For example, this section explains how to change an account from your current password to one generated by PasswordMaker.

I highly recommend reading the manual (you can also download a PDF version to read off-line if you want from the link above) first, then experiment with a non-critical account (not a financial account or anything), but most importantly one that has a 'password reset' function so that if you lock yourself out, you can easily reset it. Feel free to come here and ask as many questions as you want.

It does involve some learning but it is well worth it, especially if you have a lot of on-line accounts.

Lastly, there is work being done to simplify the User Interface and some of the things that are the most confusing, especially for new users - but the fact is, once you get the hang of it, it is really easy to use. My advice is, just keep at it until that light bulb goes off, and once it does, you won't know how you ever lived without it.

Best regards,

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Uninstalling question
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 04:45:33 PM »
My advice is, just keep at it until that light bulb goes off
Did you mean "until that light bulb goes on?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Uninstalling question
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »
heh...

PasswordMaker Forums

Uninstalling question
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »