Author Topic: Accounts  (Read 6952 times)

Addison

Accounts
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:08:27 AM »
I'm having trouble getting the account deal to work. Geico.com only accepts alphanumeric characters. That's fine and dandy, I was just using the prefix and character count to make it satisfactory. But I don't quite understand what the two URL fields are for. I used that password created in the account deal, but when just using PM to populate that password later it would not work. So I figure it has something to do with those URL fields, but I really don't understand the whole account concept anyway. I was putting Geico.com into both URL fields.

Anyway, a little explanation here would be greatly appreciated. And just to summarize my problems if that seemed confusing, how exactly can I get PM to work on Geico.com which only accepts alphanumeric characters, and must begin with a letter and be 8-10 characters long?

Addison

Accounts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:16:45 AM »
Also, I've been reading about getting PM to populate username fields as well. I have looked over FAQ and analyzed these boards and the program and can't figure that out either.

To be quite honest I'm finding this whole process to be somewhat painstaking and often confusing. However I do see great value in it and I'm sure once I understand everything it'll be a piece of cake. It works on my banking site and that's the one I care most about.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Accounts
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »
I'm having trouble getting the account deal to work. Geico.com only accepts alphanumeric characters. That's fine and dandy, I was just using the prefix and character count to make it satisfactory.
Actually, thats not the best way to handle that... just edit the 'character set', so that only alphanumeric characters are in the character set that PM will use to generate the password.

But I don't quite understand what the two URL fields are for. I used that password created in the account deal, but when just using PM to populate that password later it would not work. So I figure it has something to do with those URL fields, but I really don't understand the whole account concept anyway. I was putting Geico.com into both URL fields.
Well, that should have worked... unless you weren't actually *at* that URL when you created the account and password. PM utilizes the URL to enable it to generate a unique password for each site - and it is the URL that PM uses to tell then apart - so that it can generate the same password every time.

So, if a site changed the URL for their login page, PM would no longer generate the same Password. In this case, you could put the new URL in the 'When URL contains' field, and leave the old URL  in the 'Use This URL' field, so PM could continue to generate the same password for that site.

Anyway, a little explanation here would be greatly appreciated.
I highly recommend reading the Manual - it is a little dated (especially the screenshots), but still provides a very good foundation for using PM.

And just to summarize my problems if that seemed confusing, how exactly can I get PM to work on Geico.com which only accepts alphanumeric characters, and must begin with a letter and be 8-10 characters long?

I think maybe you missed the Tabs on the Account Settings window - what you want to do is quite simple - just edit the 'Character Set' (found on the 'Page 2' tab on the Account Details window) to contain only the characters the site allows, and set the password length (same tab) to 10.

Again, I strongly encourage you to read the manual - it will help a lot. Although as I said, some of it is dated - and the Account Settings is one of the areas that needs updating. These screenshots don't show the new tabbed Account Settings, which was added because the window was getting very cluttered.

Also, I've been reading about getting PM to populate username fields as well. I have looked over FAQ and analyzed these boards and the program and can't figure that out either.
? If you created an 'Account' then you *must* be using the 'Advanced Settings', right? Simply check the box that says 'Automatically populate username...' on the Page 1 of the Account Details window. Then, whenever FireFox loads that page, PM will detect the URL, and automatically populate yuour username (and prompt you for your Master Password).

PasswordMaker can be a little daunting at first, but I can unequivocally tell you that it is by far the most useful Firefox Extension - heck, its the most useful utility/program I've found, bar none. For anyone that manages a lot of online accounts and/or is concenred about Security with respect to their online accounts, there is nothing better.

So, stick with it. We're here to help you until you 'get it'!

Hope this was helpful...

Offline Felipe

Accounts
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 01:11:22 AM »
WOW! Talk about service :D Good work! This is why I like these forums!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Accounts
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 01:25:41 AM »
Yeah, tanstaafl rocks, and he knows it.

PasswordMaker Forums

Accounts
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 01:25:41 AM »