Author Topic: Curious about the possibility . . .  (Read 6699 times)

LkonKbd

Curious about the possibility . . .
« on: October 29, 2005, 01:12:02 PM »
Have been checing some other password generators and find most are NOT as secure as PassWordMaker.

Also wondering if someone puts a progy on your computer that will download your 'rdf' file, will that give them all of your passwords plus your settings for each if you are using special features instead of the 'default'?  Then just crack your MasterPassword and they will have the full list at their disposal.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 01:22:36 PM »
If someone gets your RDF file *and* your Master Password, they will *not* have a 'list' of your passwords, but they will be able to generate them, so, yes, *effectively*, they have all of your passwords.

I've been encrypting my RDF file when emailing it, but I'd sure like to see a hook into GPG or something similar to encrypt it all the time...

LkonKbd

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 01:40:10 PM »
WOW!  Then NONE of these encrypting programs are really safe.  Unless MR. Genius Numbre Uno (aka Eric) can come up with some method of protecting these features.

Thanks for the reply, did not expect one this quick,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »
The answer is do not store you master password to disk. Then you are safe and  it wouldn't matter if someone gets your RDF file. Storing the master password to disk is a convenience which wasn't even an option in earlier versions of PasswordMaker. Typically, convenience means a sacrifice in security. The choice is yours to make.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 06:37:17 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline ajw

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 05:27:05 PM »
Geez, next thing I know you'll be telling us not to write our PIN numbers on our bank cards...    :)

- Al -

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »
Yeah, and lock your doors at night and all that phun stuff :)

LkonKbd

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 08:54:48 PM »
"Eirc,"

I do not leave anythingy unlocked day or night.  Even if there is my Wife or anyone else in my car, if I get out the doors are locked until I return.  When I drive off the doors are locked again.  Even when I return home and park in the drive-way the doors are locked again.

I do not store my MPW on the H/D either.  Paranoia is good and then again it can become all consuming.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 08:58:58 PM by LkonKbd »

Offline ajw

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 08:59:27 PM »
Damn!  And my wife calls *me* paranoid!   (I call her irresponsable!  :)

I'm very rigid about having the house and car doors locked, although we sometimes leave the garage doors open (kids running in and out, etc)  I go ballistic when the front door is left open...

It's a good thing I can store the MPW on the disk 'cause otherwise I'd have to write it on a little yellow sticky-note and paste it on the monitor!   :D

- Al -

LkonKbd

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 09:07:01 PM »
"Al,"

I even have working locks on the closets and bathroom doors.

This was started when we were first married 43 years ago.  My Wife was driving in downtown Cheyenne, Wyoming, when we lived there, and a street person ran over to her at at traffic light and attempted to get into the car, she thanked me for making her always lock the doors.  The light had just turned red for her and no-one was moving so she just drove off and lefter HER standing in the middle of the street.

It does PAY to be PARANOID ! !

OH! BTW, "Al," my PIN is not written down anywhere and will not be used on here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 09:09:40 PM by LkonKbd »

LkonKbd

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
When I was working and had OT and would get home the doors were always locked.  Even if it is in the middle of the day, night, next day, the day after that or even 96 hours later straight through the doors were always locked.  I would rather be Paranoid and have my family safe than to come home to a mess, no further explanation needed for that than MESS, the thought is not somethingy I want to think about nor mention.  My family is always safe.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 01:38:20 AM »
WOW! Then NONE of these encrypting programs are really safe. Unless MR. Genius Numbre Uno (aka Eric) can come up with some method of protecting these features.
So then you understand now that you ARE safe if you don't store MPW on disk??

LkonKbd

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 10:55:47 PM »
"Eric,"

Yes SIR that is understood.

Thank you for this info,

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 10:55:47 PM »