Author Topic: Matching Online Settings  (Read 4572 times)

Peter

Matching Online Settings
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:07:23 AM »
I have just started playing around with PasswordMaker.  It's a very nice idea.  I have a few questions about the Firefox extension vs. the Online version.

I am very concerned about using a password I would never be able to remember.  I feel the need to match the online settings exactly so that I never have to worry about being locked out of an account.  I read the threads about the extra "\" being added to the extension character set and it causing differences with generated passwords.

It seems that the extra "\" is not in the default character settings but if you click on the dropdown box and select the first choice it is there.  

So, is there a way to add character sets to the dropdown list so I can be sure I can match the online version?

Is there an RDF file with the online settings that I could import?

Thanks

LkonKbd

Matching Online Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:45:25 AM »
"Peter,"

It looks as though no one is up yet this morn.  I will attempt to give you some info on this.

Once upon a time, oops not that way.

Try again, in the last update v0.8.7 there was a discrepency between the 'On-Line' version and the one on your system.  The 'On-Line' had the full list of characters and the one on your system was missing the "\" (backslash).  It was supposed to be there so it has been added to make them both the same.  This subject is discussed here -> http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...ndpost&p=802415

You may add or remove any character in the list by just highlight it and delete it or if there is a group do the same thing.  If you would like to have more than one copy of certain characters just highlight copy then paste.  As many copies as you like, not really sure of the "as many copies as you like" so be careful on that one.  When Eric is back here again he will give you better info.

If you go to a site that has restrictions of not wanting the use of any of the special characters, which most or many use, then just highlight those and remove them and PasswordMaker will remember your settings for each password you create.  Also remember if you use the "l33t" there is a chance there will be some special characters in the "Calculated Password" so my recommendation is NOT to use it unless you are sure they are accepted.  

Read the HELP Manual, it is on line and can be accessed from the DownLoad window or actually any of the websites windows just not here in the forum unless I learn how to place it in here.  I am a very Novice in using this forum but have some experience in using PasswordMaker.

If you have any further questions be sure to Post them here or if there are any Feature Requests post them under that topic.

Enjoy,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Matching Online Settings
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 02:43:07 PM »
Hi Peter,
It seems that the extra "\" is not in the default character settings but if you click on the dropdown box and select the first choice it is there.
This should have been fixed in 0.9 (which has a lot of other minor bugs, though, so I wouldn't install it--0.9.1 is coming out today with all the fixes)

So, is there a way to add character sets to the dropdown list so I can be sure I can match the online version?
As LkonKbd pointed out, you can type in this field directly to make your own character set. You cannot, however, add your own set to the dropdown list--yet. This feature has been requested by many and will be available shortly.

Let us know if you have other questions,
Eric

Is there an RDF file with the online settings that I could import?

Peter

Matching Online Settings
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:58:21 PM »
Eric,
Thanks for the information.  I think I was getting confused by the slash not being in the default charater set of the extension, but being in one of the selectable sets.

I'm still a bit confused since the online version does not have the additional slash.  Does that mean it is being added everywhere or being removed everywhere?

I did see some odd installation behavior with 0.9.0 so 'll wait for 0.9.1.

Thanks.

Peter

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Matching Online Settings
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 10:06:10 PM »
I'm still a bit confused since the online version does not have the additional slash. Does that mean it is being added everywhere or being removed everywhere?
The slash exists in all of the other editions of PasswordMaker. It's non-existance in the Mozilla/Firefox extension is a bug, so to answer your question: it is being added.

PasswordMaker Forums

Matching Online Settings
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 10:06:10 PM »