Author Topic: PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1  (Read 7694 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« on: September 07, 2005, 02:38:18 AM »
Hi,

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1 is available here. Comments welcome.
-Eric

Offline quixin

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 03:33:13 AM »
Eric,  I think I'm seeing an issue when I have multiple accounts on the same URL while using auto-populate username.

First of all though major props on the upgrade! The auto-login worked wonderfully when using one account!  :lock:

I have two accounts for gmail and once I turned the auto-populate username on for both of them I had a slight problem.  At first after navigating to gmail.com before the site loaded I got the PasswordMaker window to choose which account I wanted.  The first one I choose logged in fine.  I went back to try the second account and after clicking on the name several times it seemed to attempt to load but never did.  The username window just kept re-appearing.  I'm going to work with it a little more though.

This was all within my first 5 minutes with this new version.   :typing:

I really miss the 'Close' button on the left side.  It was so quick and convenient to get a password, copy it to clipboard and then close the window! Maybe we could have a vote?

Also regarding the context menu.  I gather 'Other Fields' can be used in cases where turning on auto-populate does not work?  And are 'New Account' and 'New Group' greyed out because they are not yet implemented?

Again,  Awesome work!!   :thumbsup:  :applause:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:46:20 AM by quixin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 07:34:33 AM »
Hi Quxin,
Looks like I jumped the gun and released it too early again. I completely forgot to test populating username where mulitple accounts match the same URL.

I really miss the 'Close' button on the left side.
No problem, I can put it back. No vote needed.

Also regarding the context menu. I gather 'Other Fields' can be used in cases where turning on auto-populate does not work?
Yeah, but it's not supposed to be there yet. It's not ready. I need to remove it. Thanks for finding it.

are 'New Account' and 'New Group' greyed out because they are not yet implemented?
Looks like a bug. Thanks for finding it :)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:39:51 PM »
I have two accounts for gmail and once I turned the auto-populate username on for both of them I had a slight problem. At first after navigating to gmail.com before the site loaded I got the PasswordMaker window to choose which account I wanted. The first one I choose logged in fine. I went back to try the second account and after clicking on the name several times it seemed to attempt to load but never did. The username window just kept re-appearing
I need help reproducing this. You can get two "Choose Account" prompts if you have two matching URLs and both have "auto-populate username" and "auto-populate password" checked. The first is asking you to choose the password to use; the second prompt is asking you to use the username to use. Does that make sense? Should it work differently? Are you seeing something different?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:38 PM »
I can reproduce one of the problems--if I go to a URL where I have more than one account defined, I constantly get prompted for the account to use. I've nailed that and can fix it pretty quickly.

Is there something else wrong, too, though?

Offline quixin

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:47:49 PM »
Ok, I tried it once more and here is what I find.  I am prompted twice as you said.  I choose the same account both times and the page then begins to log in and load.  As the page is loaded I get the account window twice again.  I choose 'Cancel' twice  The page then loads and I can see that I am logged in but once again I get the account window.  I have to hit 'Cancel' several times before it finally disappears.

Here is something else I notice.  I tried using this at my Internet providers page.  Once I navigate to the homepage I get the PWM account window even though there is no prompt for a username & password.  Is it because the URL matches whats in my account settings?  Could that also be whats happening once I am logged into the account?  The URL still matches in the account settings so PWM is prompting to choose ans account because auto-populate is checked.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:49:46 PM »
Yes, that's precisely what's happening. The logic to check whether or not a username/password field exists on the page is missing, so you are being prompted every time a match occurs--regardless of whether or not it's a login page.

Offline Romeo

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:23:05 AM »
Uninstall PASSWORDMAKER before installing the beta, or create a new profile in which to install it. You will not lose any accounts or settings if you uninstall and then reinstall PasswordMaker.
Eric, this means that I can install it in my live profile, correct ?  In other words, the next release will be downward compatible.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 01:00:17 AM »
Yes, but I'd recommend backing up passwordmaker.rdf just to play safe.

Offline Romeo

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 01:05:33 AM »
Allright.  That sounds good.  I had been twitching to finally use it in my live profile.  It makes logging in to web sites even easier than it was before.

Great piece of work.

Offline Romeo

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 09:27:33 PM »
Eric, I just looked at the default settings in version 0.8 beta 1 and noticed that you have a checkbox 'Auto-populate the username field ... matching URLs'.  Would that be all URLs, since this is default, or would this be none because no URLs will match the setting, since there is no URL field on there to match ?

I am not quite sure what this checkbox is supposed to do.  I am sure that there is a good reason for it, but I do not see it yet.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 09:47:22 PM »
Well, that checkbox has been removed from Beta2 so rather than answer your question, I'll just give you the new beta shortly :)

Offline Romeo

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 11:57:35 PM »
Eric, that sounds great.  I can't wait.   :D

PasswordMaker Forums

PasswordMaker 0.8 beta1
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 11:57:35 PM »