Author Topic: What do people do when they need to use the password somewhere else?  (Read 7456 times)

Offline tillicollpase

• Normal Members
I am just wondering what people do when they need to enter a password in a field that is not a web form, or when they use another computer.
For example, there are certain non-web applications that use the same password.
I do open up firefox and use passwordmaker to get the password, but that's such as hassle.

Also, what do you do when you use a public computer or someone else's computer, like at a library?
Sometimes libraries don't have firefox installed, and even when they do, they prohibit installation of anything, so I can't install passwordmaker.
For this case, there doesn't even seen to be a way around like the problem above.
Desktop edition is pretty sketchy and does not take my profile. (In fact, I don't even understand how to use the desktop edition)

And there are also cases of a few websites where firefox doesn't work properly, so I use internet explorer and that creates a problem too.

I've already made a transition to passwordmaker and while it made web surfing much easier, it's also such a huge commitment. I can't really go back to my original non-passwordmaker configuration any more. But how can I resolve the above issues?

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: What do people do when they need to use the password somewhere else?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »
Desktop Edition, still a BETA product and missing some vital features to really be on par with the Firefox and online editions but is being developed for when you don't want open Firefox just to use PasswordMaker. For on the go use, the portable edition would be the way to go. (If you're using PortableApps, just extract it to your PortableApps directory)

There is the on-line edition that was made just for the purpose of using on other computers.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline ignatius.reilly

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:01:59 AM »
A crucial feature for off-FF usage will be the possibility to decrypt Advanced auto-populate passwords

See feature request:
http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php/topic,1518.0.html

Offline tillicollpase

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks.
There were so many versions and they all seemed different and I wasn't sure of how to proceed.

Desktop Edition, still a BETA product and missing some vital features to really be on par with the Firefox and online editions but is being developed for when you don't want open Firefox just to use PasswordMaker. For on the go use, the portable edition would be the way to go. (If you're using PortableApps, just extract it to your PortableApps directory)

There is the on-line edition that was made just for the purpose of using on other computers.

But how do I load my rdf file using online or desktop edition?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:24:31 PM by tillicollpase »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »
Desktop edition, just use the import. I think you may need to change the file type at the bottom for it to appear however. It does not support accounts, and will only import your defaults.

Online edition doesn't support RDF files.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
Hi Tillicollpase,

Try using the online edition at http://passwordmaker.org/passwordmaker.html when you're on a public computer and can't use Portable Firefox on, say, a thumbdrive (sometime you don't have physical access to the PC's USB port).

HTH,
Eric

Offline tillicollpase

• Normal Members
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 02:02:48 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply.
But how should I use the online version if I can't import my rdf file?
Does that mean that I actually have to memorize all the parameters that I set for each of 20+ sites in order the generate the right password for that site?
That seems like awful lot more to remember than a password....

Maybe I'm just stupid, but even with the desktop version, importing my rdf file doesn't seem to change anything. I have no access to my individual account settings, where I have different user names and parameter settings for each website.

I know this is probably annoying, but could you please explain to me how I can do this?

When I use the online or desktop version, do I need to remember different user names, whether I used I33t, it's level, the hash algorithm I used for that account, password length, the characters I used, modifier, suffix and prefix, and the site's address (exactly down to whether I used full address or just the domain name or whatnot) in order to generate the password that firefox has generated for me?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 02:28:34 AM »
The desktop edition currently ONLY handles the default account. If you actually use the firefox extension's account settings alot, then you're currently stuck with the that version for ease of use.

Ideally, you should have your setup so that you remember what the default is, then go about changing only the characterset, username, and maybe the modifier of the different sites.

If you only create accounts for sites that don't take your passwords from the default account (one of the three above in my ideal setup are the only thing you actually change), then it's not that much more work to use the online or desktop versions (online easier because the settings all there though)

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 02:28:34 AM »