Author Topic: What is WRONG with using FF v3.0.1 & Vista Home Premium?  (Read 11114 times)

LkonKbd

What is WRONG with using FF v3.0.1 & Vista Home Premium?
« on: August 02, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »
I have a new system, well a NEWER reloaded, kept getting strange messages from Vista and took it back to the store where purchased.  They completely re-formatted my H/D and reloaded my software, except for those that are most important.  Has taken me two days to get this far back to NORMAL?  Now when I attempt to view an account. "PasswordMaker Account-Specific Settings" it opens on the 'General' tab and will not display the 'Generated Password' below the 'Password Strength' bar.  It is shown as the 'Generated Password' above the RB "Copy Generated Password to Clipboard".  Plus when clicking on the 'URL' tab the 'URL Components' are there for you to check parts of the four selections.  Those were not there before for any other 'Group', that I can remember, only when on the "Default" (first entry) of 'Groups'.  Also clicking the 'OK' or 'Cancel' will do NOTHING.  The only method to close that window is the RED 'X' in the upper right corner.

Thank you for reading my problem,

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: What is WRONG with using FF v3.0.1 & Vista Home Premium?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »
Now when I attempt to view an account. "PasswordMaker Account-Specific Settings" it opens on the 'General' tab and will not display the 'Generated Password' below the 'Password Strength' bar.  It is shown as the 'Generated Password' above the RB "Copy Generated Password to Clipboard".  Plus when clicking on the 'URL' tab the 'URL Components' are there for you to check parts of the four selections.  Those were not there before for any other 'Group', that I can remember, only when on the "Default" (first entry) of 'Groups'.

Judging from the subject of this post, I'm guessing that before you were using FFox 2.0.x on an XP computer?

I recall you had said at one time you had moved the 'Defaults' to another group or something like that, and were then told that that could cause unknown problems. I am fairly confident that whatever problem you may be experiencing now is related to that.

If I were you, I'd redo all of your accounts from scratch - assuming you can... if not, then I'd copy the RDF file to an XP based computer (go to a friends house or whatever), open PWM, copy all of the settings for each account (you could try exporting them, but I'm not sure I'd completely trust that in your case), then redo everything from scratch on your new computer.

LkonKbd

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:51:01 PM »
"tanstaafl,"

You are so correct and I will take care of this problem when I can find the time.  I think you suggestion of Export will not be used, taking it to a friends XP will probably not work either, just will have to attempt to copy all of the settings down and do this change over to cover my ERROR, removing the "Default" section.  I BooBooed and now is my time to pay for my ERROR.

Thank you for reading my posty toaster and will do what is needed,

alan smythee

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
Now when I attempt to view an account. "PasswordMaker Account-Specific Settings" it opens on the 'General' tab and will not display the 'Generated Password' below the 'Password Strength' bar.  It is shown as the 'Generated Password' above the RB "Copy Generated Password to Clipboard".  Plus when clicking on the 'URL' tab the 'URL Components' are there for you to check parts of the four selections.  Those were not there before for any other 'Group', that I can remember, only when on the "Default" (first entry) of 'Groups'.

Judging from the subject of this post, I'm guessing that before you were using FFox 2.0.x on an XP computer?

I recall you had said at one time you had moved the 'Defaults' to another group or something like that, and were then told that that could cause unknown problems. I am fairly confident that whatever problem you may be experiencing now is related to that.

If I were you, I'd redo all of your accounts from scratch - assuming you can... if not, then I'd copy the RDF file to an XP based computer (go to a friends house or whatever), open PWM, copy all of the settings for each account (you could try exporting them, but I'm not sure I'd completely trust that in your case), then redo everything from scratch on your new computer.

alan smythee

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:26:31 PM »
[nuts, posted without comments, sorry...]

Identical problem here, so this is not an isolated incident, it is not limited to Vista, and (at least in my case) it was not caused by moving groups within PWM. Experienced when running PWM FF extension (fault started with v1.72b1, then b2 now 1.72) on XP SP2 and SP3 machines. Running FF3.X0b prior to problem (not FF 2.x.) PWM seemingly broke with 1.71b on FF 3.0b4.

Exporting PWM settings, importing on a different workstation, and then clearing and reinstalling PWM and manually recreating entries do not resolve issue. Problem persists even with newest PWM 1.72 (non beta.) PWM extension on FF 3.01 is broken on my XP workstations, and reinstalling FF/XP is not an option for now.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »
I've been using 1.7.2 on multiple computers with XP Pro sp3 and FFox 3.0/3.0.1 for months... ZERO problems.

So, I'm afraid we'll need more details...

Can you be more precise about what, exactly is the problem?

Offline quixin

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
Have either of you tried creating a new profile, install Passwordmaker with no other extensions and test out your import there?

This way we can isolate the problem.

Offline HugoGreen

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »
Since I have the same problem, I just created a new profile and installed PWM 1.7.2 in it. PWM still says "Not compatible with Firefox 3.0.1". The only other extension is the ForceField Toolbar (checkpoint's ZAFF), which I disabled, though. This got into the new profile automatically.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »
Well, since Forcefield messes a LOT with Firefox, I'd REMOVE/UNINSTALL it (sometimes just disabling something isn't enough), THEN create a new profile from scratch and test.

I highly suspect this is the cause of your particular problem...

LkonKbd

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 10:33:02 PM »
Have either of you tried creating a new profile, install Passwordmaker with no other extensions and test out your import there?

This way we can isolate the problem.

Quixin & Tanstaafl,

I think you are familiar with me and MY ERRORous ways, creating mine own problems.  Have gone through my RDF file with my Text editor and recreated my list of accesses to all of my forums and other uses with the Defauts as the FIRST entry.  All are working just fine as FROG hair for me and it took me a couple of days working on that to get my list back to what I want.  And the postings I made in the "Tips & Tricks" worked GREAT to do the sorting in Alphabetical order as my sort.  If you want to do it in another method such as in most used that can be done very easily by choosing them in that order.

I hope this information can assist any one that is having a problem with their PWM, if a more detailed explanation is needed or someone may desire one, just ask and I will provide,
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:35:23 PM by LkOnKbd »

Offline HugoGreen

• Normal Members
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »
Well, since Forcefield messes a LOT with Firefox, I'd REMOVE/UNINSTALL it (sometimes just disabling something isn't enough), THEN create a new profile from scratch and test.

I highly suspect this is the cause of your particular problem...

Right. Forcefield was the reason.

LkonKbd

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »
After the recreation of my RDF file with the Default in it's HOME location all are working much better, my problem has been solved by my extra work and NOT using my creative ideas without asking first.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »