Author Topic: PasswordMaker 0.7.3 beta1 released  (Read 19250 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 0.7.3 beta1 released
« on: July 29, 2005, 03:02:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

PasswordMaker 0.7.3 beta1 is available here.

After 0.7.3 is finalized, the next release will be 0.8 with auto-populate of arbitrary fields. I had to get whitelists working first, otherwise arbitrary field auto-population couldn't be limited to certain sites. For example, if you chose to auto-populate a form field by the name of "username", any form field on any URL by the name of "username" would be auto-populated. So I hope you understand--I'm not dodging the request, I'm just working towards it. Why not release what I have so far since whitelists have been requested anyway?

Hope you enjoy it. Please let me know of any bugs. Play around with the auto-populate white list feature in particular; make sure it does everything you want.

Thanks,
Eric

Tyrantmizar (guest)

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 03:11:49 PM »
Something is SCREWED up.

On any site, with any .rdf backup file I use, it gives me 11 accounts to choose from, all of which are blank.  Because of this, I can't log in to anything.  

I'm repeating myself-  doesn't matter which site, which .rdf file.  

I don't know what I did (other than test 0.8 beta).  Would that have done it?

I'm trying a new profile, but I pretty sure its confined to this profile.

Tyrantmizar (guest)

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 03:15:25 PM »
I found it on a brand new account with only 1 account.

If you need a screenshot, I'll post one.

Offline quixin

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 03:16:46 PM »
Double-clicking an account opens the Account Settings dialog

This is the first thing I tried and it work awesome, I love it!!

Right-click (ctrl-click for Mac) on an account opens a pop-up menu

This also works perfect.  The account tree seems so much more friendly to me now.

Hide Master Password Field now hides master password storage options

Works flawlessly for me.

Auto-popualte (Spelling Error) whitelists!

I have set this for one site so far.  I navigated to that site and the password field was populated,  I then changed to a different site that I have in my account list and the password field was not populated.  Next I want to try setting this in the Default settings.

Master password confirmation for password prompts, but not in the Basic and Advanced Settings yet

Here is were I think I run into a problem.  I set my master password to "Do not save".  Then I navigated to the PasswordMaker forums.  The auto-populate feature for the forums is turned off.  I hit the shortcut to populate the password and I get the popup master password window, I enter the master password twice and press Ok,  I then get the multiple user name menu for me to choose which user name I wish to use but it is empty.  It tells me 11 accounts match this URL but the list is empty.  I have only one username for the forums in my PasswordMaker accounts.  Let me know if I have left out any information regarding settings.

quixin

Offline quixin

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the Choose Account window I'm getting.

For the time being, I'm just going to open my PWM window and copy the password to the clipboard to login to sites.

quixin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:22:55 PM by quixin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 03:34:14 PM »
Ugh. Thanks for the feedback, guys. What's with this magic number 11? Reminds me of string theory. I tested this beta for hours and didn't find that problem.

Unforunately, I'm going away for the weekend and won't be able to work on PasswordMaker while away. I will, however, be active on this forum and in email... so if you find anything else problematic, please let me know!

Quixin... glad you like the new user-friendliness features. There are still a few more context-sensitive menu items I'll add (clone/copy account, create new folder, create new account), but not for 0.7.3. I also haven't forgotten you want the ability to re-order accounts (drag and drop).

Eric

p.s. just what is a quixin?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:34:50 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 08:39:34 PM »
Eric,
Auto-popualte whitelists! The global setting for auto-populate has been removed. Instead, you can now select auto-populate for individual accounts. If you want auto-populate for all URLs (global "on"), check the auto-populate checkbox in Default Settings.
Again an excellent solution for users who do not want the auto populate to pop up for every web site with a password box!!!

You did it again.   ;)

Incidentally, I installed beta1 after I removed 8.0 beta and the username was populated automatically.  But then I restored a backup profile I had and it quit doing that.

Romeo
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 01:53:33 AM »
Hi Romeo,
Thanks for the feedback. There is code in 0.7.3 beta1 intended for 0.8 which does arbitrary field auto-population. I have to comment it out since it's not ready. For most people, this code never gets called because their RDF file doesn't have the appropriate entries. Anyone you tried 0.8 beta1, however, will have those entries in their RDF.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will take care of it.

Regards,
Eric

Offline Romeo

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 02:04:44 AM »
Eric,

Don't get me wrong.  That is not an inconvenience.  I actually got kind of spoiled by 0.8.

Romeo

Offline quixin

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 05:29:21 PM »
p.s. just what is a quixin?
Its just a silly alias from back in the BBS days.  Its also an Rx used to kill bacteria in the eyes in the form of drops which I found rather interesting.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 10:35:07 PM »
Hi quixin,

That's interesting.  Actually, I was wondering that myself.  But now we all know.  I don't think there is a need for me to explain my alias.

But it would be interesting to know how Eric came up with grimholtz, wouldn't it ?

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 01:33:51 AM »
quixin,

BBS days? I'm an old BBS'er myself. I was a sysop for 5 years of an Apple BBS (custom made :)) in the early 80s. Started at 300 baud, went to 1200, ended at 2400 with 6 disk drives :) My handle back then was The Necromancer; the BBS name was The Middle-Earth BBS. As you can see, I've been a LOTR fan since well before the movies emerged.

Tell me your story...!

Romeo,
interesting to know how Eric came up with grimholtz
Tyrantmizar asked me this a few weeks ago. Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in Colorado. We often hiked in alpine (high altitude) regions where vegetation is scarce. When vegetation does exist, it is often stunted and grows very slowly.

One time we were hiking somwhere between Leadville and Aspen. There was a sign which said, "Do not step on the krummholz!! It takes hundreds of years to grow![/i] We had never heard of "krummholz" before and were ROFL. It became an ongoing joke between us and even a term of endearment at times, but at some point my wife bastardized it (I think she forgot the original word) and starting calling me "grimholtz." Although no one calls me that anymore, it's a contrived word so it's never taken as a username on email or forums or whenever i need registration. That way I can be "grimholtz" instead of "Romeo1962"  :)

Offline quixin

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 02:11:59 AM »
BBS days? I'm an old BBS'er myself. I was a sysop for 5 years of an Apple BBS (custom made smile.gif) in the early 80s. Started at 300 baud, went to 1200, ended at 2400 with 6 disk drives smile.gif My handle back then was The Necromancer; the BBS name was The Middle-Earth BBS. As you can see, I've been a LOTR fan since well before the movies emerged.

Tell me your story...!

Yeah,  My day doesn't go back quite that far.  I ran several different boards in the early 90s.  Started off with the old 2400 Hayes, skipped the 9600 and got a 14.4 for my birthday when I was 13.  I always got computer items for birthdays like modems, software or new 500meg hard drives.  There was actually a computer shop that gave sysop's discounts on shareware cds.  My first board was on WWiV 4.22.  I saved up my cash to register it and get the source.  Then proceeded to heavily mod it.  I remember I had waited all that time to get the floppies in the mail of the source and didn't have enough ram to run the C++ compiler.  2megs just didn't cut it.  Later I moved to PCBoard then finally onto Oblivion/2.  Unfortunately I didn't know any better and I started socializing with some of the more "shady" characters around my area code.  But thats all in the past.

I'm with you on the LOTR! I read it back in high school, loved it.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 02:29:27 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for letting us know how you came up with your nick.
One time we were hiking somwhere between Leadville and Aspen. There was a sign which said, "Do not step on the krummholz!!  It takes hundreds of years to grow! We had never heard of "krummholz" before and were ROFL. It became an ongoing joke between us and even a term of endearment at times, but at some point my wife bastardized it (I think she forgot the original word) and starting calling me "grimholtz." Although no one calls me that anymore, it's a contrived word so it's never taken as a username on email or forums or whenever i need registration. That way I can be "grimholtz" instead of "Romeo1962"
That makes a lot of sence, now.  Did you know that if you added an extra m to the 'bastardized' version of Krumm, you get Grimm, who are quite famous in  Germany.

Romeo   :)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 04:20:14 PM »
Ohhh... my wife and I lovev Grimm's Fairy Tales. She has some of his books. I didn't know they were comparative linguists!

On a related note, here in the U.S. I'm constantly asked if I'm related to Carl Jung because my surname isn't common in America.

Listen, when are you guys going to use avatars on the forum?  :)

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 04:20:14 PM »