Author Topic: Firefox 3 Beta 1 RC3 Incompatibility  (Read 14749 times)

Offline John Liebson

Firefox 3 Beta 1 RC3 Incompatibility
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »
Just to let you know that PWM 1.7 is incompatible with Release Candidate 3 for Firefox 3 Beta 1, and, thus, cannot be installed.

I tried to override the compatibility issue, but PWM and RC 3 don't like each other.

As the version of FF is not the official Beta 1 release, changes between RC 3 and the Beta 1 release may well occur.

This is not the only extension I've found that won't work with RC 3, nor am I at all surprised when I find such.

O sancta simplicitas! - Oh, holy simplicity! (Jan Hus) [Not to be confused with "Sancta Claus"....]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:45:40 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Jennifer

Re: Firefox Beta 1 RC3 Incompatibility
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »
I overrode the compatibility restriction with Nightly Tester Tools, and it works -- except it keeps forgetting the master password. No matter how often I tell it to store the master password on disk, the password is forgotten next time I pull up the box.

It seems to work using the autofill feature to fill form text boxes, but not if I need to actually see the password by clicking on the ring at the bottom right corner of the window.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »
I overrode the About:Config setting, Extensions.CheckCompatibility setting (after first creating that setting), which allowed PWM to be installed in Beta1; I had given up on the RC3 release. I suspect that I then had to use MR Tech Toolkit to make it compatible, as most other extensions I've been able to install required both steps.

No loss of master password, I'm happy to report, because when I first started using PWM I entered a very long master password and, so far, the programmers of PWM have not made it easy to change the master password; thus, were I to lose my master, I'd have to use up quite a few of the keystrokes stored in my keyboard and have to go to the store to buy some new keystrokes....

(I logged on here with no problem, thanks to PWM, as I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110904 Firefox/3.0b1 - Build ID: 2007110904, which is the first actual Beta Release.

Jennifer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:15:56 PM »
Unfortunately, in OS X 10.5 Beta1 has a few nasty showstopper bugs so I moved on to nightly trunk builds (I'm using one from 11/21, since there's a really really nasty, as in makes it unusuable, bug introduced around the 22nd or 23rd that 100% screws up the Proto theme that will eventually be the default theme for Mac FF3 builds).

I wonder what we're doing different.

Also, I'm not sure why changing the master password is so difficult... you can set the "store" function to none, and then close the window, then re-open and enter a new master, no?

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
For one thing, I'm not using a MAC, so I'm not using OX X 10.5, so I'm not using the Proto theme. (That is one thing taken collectively.)

There was a lengthy thread about changing the master password; as I recall, if you change it, that changes all your other passwords, as they are based on the master. I'm not certain that that is the actual reason why one can not blithely change it, but I do remember that it cannot be easily changed.

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »
Yeah, I did notice you're on Windows. Hopefully that isn't a factor, as most FF extensions are supposed to run the same on everything. I hope the next version of the extension will clear up the gotchas with FF3 betas/nightlies for everybody.

And I see what you mean -- there's varying definitions of "change the master password", true.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Re: Firefox 3 Beta 1 RC3 Incompatibility
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 04:47:49 AM »
Hm, I just came across this thread. Never got an email notification about it. I'm working on FF 3 compatibility right now. Should have a PasswordMaker beta shortly for you to use.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
See here.

James Rome

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »
See here.

The 1.7.2 beta2 will not install on FireFox 3.0 beta3. It says its incompatible.

I am running Leopard 10.5.2

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
See here.

The 1.7.2 beta2 will not install on FireFox 3.0 beta3. It says its incompatible.

I am running Leopard 10.5.2

Fixed. Try installed again from http://addons.mozilla.org

James Rome

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
It says it should work up to beta 4, but when I install it, I get the same error message.

Please try again,
Jim

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
It says it should work up to beta 4, but when I install it, I get the same error message.

Please try again,
Jim

I backed off the version compatibility from 3.0b4pre to 3.0b3. Let me know if that works. If it doesn't, I need to contact the guys at AMO.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »
Since you haven't replied again, I'm going to assume it worked.

Offline nicerobot

Re: Firefox 3 Beta 4 Incompatibility
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »
I'm not sure if this is an incompatibility or a configuration issue on my end but alt-esc doesn't bring up PWM under OS X.5.2. It just creates a grave accent input, ì, à, è, ì, ò, ù. ctrl-esc works just fine to bring up the PWM options and I can also add PWM's key toolbar-icon to let PWM generate and fill fields so this isn't a killer, but it is annoying since I'm so in the habit of using alt-esc.

BTW, I just installed FF3b4 last week and haven't used any prior betas so I have no reference as to whether it was working with betas but this was definitely fine with FF2 on the same patch-level of OS X so would seem to be an issue with PWM.

Thanks

Edit: I meant alt-` and ctlr-` not esc. ctrl-` doesn't bring up PWM anymore either. It just highlights the Tools menu for an instant. I'm not using the FF3 release and PWM 1.7.2.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:13:22 AM by nicerobot »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
I don't use it on a mac - but I thought it used the same shortcuts (alt-` and ctrl-`)?

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »