Author Topic: major password problem  (Read 7986 times)

Offline mhargr03

• Normal Members
major password problem
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:33:20 PM »
Dear Mr. Jung, or anyone else who is able to help:
Please help.
I seem to have created a big problem for myself.  To make a long story short I downloaded passwordmaker and stupidly blundered about trying to figure it out without first reading all the documentation.  Real stupid, I know.  Basically, I changed my Gmail password and then changed it again, and now I cannot log into gmail.  The first time I changed it was with the default settings as I recall.  The second time I changed it was after changing the password length to 9 after the default 8 I believe.  I don't think I made any other changes.  However I go back to those settings and none of those passwords work...any suggestions??  Thank you very much for your assistance, and I apologize ahead of time for the annoyance.

I already tried resetting my gmail password but I didn't provide a secondary email address when I created the account.  Without that, I have to wait 5 days with no activity before I can change my password using my security question answer.  So, while I will get my account back after 5 days, that is a long time to wait...Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 06:11:29 PM by mhargr03 »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
major password problem
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:08:49 AM »
Hi mhargr,

I've thought about this problem for a while and cannot think of a solution, short of trying all the possible variations of the settings you might have used. That could take quite a while (more than 5 days?) depending on what settings you remember. I think it might be best to wait for the 5 days of inactivity.

Charles, Miquel, Quixin, anyone else have ideas?

You have my sympathy,
Eric

Offline mhargr03

• Normal Members
major password problem
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 01:09:58 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Hi mhargr,

I've thought about this problem for a while and cannot think of a solution, short of trying all the possible variations of the settings you might have used. That could take quite a while (more than 5 days?) depending on what settings you remember. I think it might be best to wait for the 5 days of inactivity.

You have my sympathy,
Eric
Thank you for your response and your attempt to find a solution.  I will just wait the 5 days.  Thank you!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
major password problem
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 01:17:35 AM »
I only wish I had a better answer for you  

Good luck

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
major password problem
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:32:03 AM »
And that is why you always have a backup e-mail, and in this case, an e-mail you can access without PasswordMaker.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
major password problem
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
Hi mhargr,

The only question that comes to mind is an obvious one - are you *certain* about the Master Password that you used/are using?

You have my sympathy,
Eric
Ditto - I did that more than once when I first started using PWM...

On a side note - Eric, is there a way to have the forum automatyically email me when NEW topics are created? I hadn't had any emails the last few days, and just thought the forums were quiet - went to check today, and lo and behold, there have been a number of posts...

I'm already set to be notified when anyone posts in topics I create or reply to, but it would be nice to be notified of any new topics as well...

Offline mhargr03

• Normal Members
major password problem
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 09:07:31 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
The only question that comes to mind is an obvious one - are you *certain* about the Master Password that you used/are using?
Yes...and I even tried variations and my user name as well, in case that was it.  I also tried opening it while on a different website in case i had accidentally copied it while on passwordmaker.org for example and pasted it into Gmail.  Very weird.  Oh well, my sentence is up tomorrow.  Thanks again for the attempts to help!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
major password problem
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »
On a side note - Eric, is there a way to have the forum automatyically email me when NEW topics are created?
Go to the forum (e.g., http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?showforum=4) then click Forum Options->Subscribe to this forum. Forum Options in is in the upper-right. Select immediate /notification. This is supposed to send you an email even when you have an active session on the forums. An active session lasts 20-30 minutes since your last HTTP request to the forums. However be warned: there are many times when I'm still not emailed of new topics even though I've selected immediate notification. This is the primary reason I wanted us to switch from http://invisionfree.com to our own hosted forums--because I need consistent, reliable email notification of each and every post/thread reply to these forums. It still isn't reliable, even though we're hosting the forums ourselves.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
major password problem
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 10:15:53 PM »
Go to the forum (e.g., http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?showforum=4) then click Forum Options->Subscribe to this forum. Forum Options in is in the upper-right. Select immediate /notification. This is supposed to send you an email even when you have an active session on the forums. An active session lasts 20-30 minutes since your last HTTP request to the forums. However be warned: there are many times when I'm still not emailed of new topics even though I've selected immediate notification. This is the primary reason I wanted us to switch from http://invisionfree.com to our own hosted forums--because I need consistent, reliable email notification of each and every post/thread reply to these forums. It still isn't reliable, even though we're hosting the forums ourselves.
Hmm... I guess its not working right again, because I'm already subscribed to the Help and Support Forum, but I only get replies once I'v replied to a new topic...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
major password problem
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 11:35:27 PM »
I'll never commit to IPB again.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
major password problem
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:54 AM »
I'll never commit to IPB again.
With all the trouble with it, I don't blame you - but no worries, now that I know its not working right, I'll just make it a point to check in at least once or twice a day...

PasswordMaker Forums

major password problem
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:54 AM »