Author Topic: What happens if the extension stops working?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Ryan

• Normal Members
What happens if the extension stops working?
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:54:08 PM »
There's one big Achilles heel in this entire system that somewhat bothers me.

While I've no issue with the notion of you being screwed if you forget your master password (which is confirmed on the FAQ page), but what if the software itself becomes unusable? What if the author stops updating it, or an unavoidable update knocks it out of commission? Even if only for a few days, it's likely to cause problems!

Because of this possibility, I'd really like to see an optional way to somehow dump the saved passwords somewhere. Perhaps an executable on the machine that requires the master password to be opened? From what I've read the programming of the software prevents you from being able to do a full dump of all passwords at will, but perhaps it could be done on demand when they're created?

It'd be a nice failsafe for those who have reasonable faith in their own system's security should the software be knocked out of commission. It'd also of course be useful if you need to head out somewhere and want to quickly see what a certain password is so that you can use it once you get there.

If all this is possible then do let me know, but from what I've seen thus far it isn't.  

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:23:03 PM »
You can already print all of your passwords and also save them as an HTML file (viewable in any browser off-line; i.e. no internet connection required). I believe this feature was broken during one of the last releases, but give it a try.

What if the author stops updating it,
There are multiple authors in multiple countries so hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.

Offline Ryan

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:55:15 PM »
Ah yes, I see what you mean. It's not very clear, but using "Export Settings" also asks if you want to include the master password and the stored passwords.

Only problem is that even if you select 'yes' to the latter, it only includes the master password, so I guess you're right about it being a bit broken. Doh! Hopefully that'll be remedied at some point in the future.

This qualm aside, the extension is pretty solid. Thanks to those who're responsible for it.  

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:55:15 PM »