Author Topic: Default Account View  (Read 8273 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Default Account View
« on: July 15, 2005, 02:15:56 PM »
Hi Eric,

This thread is an offshoot of this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/8m7bc

I think displaying the "Choose Account" dialog used when populating password fields would be a nuisance.

Ok, I think you misunderstood *when* I meant this should happen...

First, the following is predicated on my correct understanding of these terms:

'Folder' = 'BaseURL' (ie, google.com)
'Account' = 'username/password pair' for a certain URL (could be differentiated by sub-domains, but under the same 'Folder'/'BaseURL')

I agree that having a 'Choose Account' dialog would confuse things when the auto-populate function/dialog kicks in if there is only one 'Account' defined for the current 'BaseURL'. Obviously, if there is more than one 'Account' for that 'BaseURL'/'Folder', PM has no way of knowing which 'Account' to use (until Eric implements 'mind-reading' functionality), so it would have to prompt for an 'Account'.

Now, for the subject of this thread:

What I meant that you were replying to, was that when not using the auto-populate functionality, and you are on any given website, and click on the PM icon (or select it from the Tools menu), PM should check to see if the current BaseURL matches any of the Custom 'BaseURL's'/'Folders'. If it matches one, then it should display that 'BaseURL'/'Folder' tree (already expanded), assuming that you want to work with one of the 'Accounts' under that 'BaseURL'/'Folder' (otherwise, why would you have clicked on the PM icon?).

Hopefully my understanding of these terms is now correct, and you will now understand what I meant qith my suggestion for the Default Account View.

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Default Account View
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:40:48 PM »
If it matches one, then it should display that 'BaseURL'/'Folder' tree
What if it matches more than one?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Default Account View
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 06:02:03 PM »
Drawing from my suggestion in the 'Folders and 'Accounts' - correct usage thread...

Just have it use the 'BaseURL' View as a tree, with the Account choices itemized underneath it.

No?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Default Account View
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to install Thunderbird to understand what you mean about adding accounts to arbitrary views. I understand the concept, but I'd like to see how they implement it (haven't used Thunderbird since before its 1.0 release).

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Default Account View
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 07:18:30 PM »
Actually, TBird's functionality doesn't work quite like that...

With TBird, you perform a 'Search' (search on all of the usual suspects - Subject contains, Sender =, etc), then 'Save' the Search as a 'folder'. This Saved Search shows up as a Folder in the Folder list, but is simply an active (updates automatically as new messages meet the search criteria) window into your messages. The actual physical location of the messages doesn't change, just filters them.

this way, you can leave all of your messages physically in one folder (the Inobx if you like), but still have them filtered and indexed as if they were in dofferent folders.

It is very powerful.

Evolution has had this functionality for some time - I think they call it vFolders (Virtual Folders).

Charles

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Default Account View
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »
I didn't finish my thoughts on why I compared this to TBirds Saved Searches...

It is more just its ability to attach multiple criteria to a view, than *how* they implemented it.

I can come up with a few suggestions though if you get stuck... but I don't see that happening. You've done a tremendous job so far with building PM's user interface.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Default Account View
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 07:11:52 PM »
To follow-up... when you have time to revisit this, install TBird, and check out how they implemented the 'Views'...

They have a Select box called 'Views' at the upper left of the Message Display list.

There are a number of pre-defined Views already there:

'All' (default) <- this would be the same as 'by BaseURL' for PM
'UnRead'

Then by labels:

'Important'
etc...

Then last, there is a 'Customize', for creating your own.

Might give you some ideas...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Default Account View
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 05:42:35 PM »
PM should check to see if the current BaseURL matches any of the Custom 'BaseURL's'/'Folders'. If it matches one, then it should display that 'BaseURL'/'Folder' tree (already expanded), assuming that you want to work with one of the 'Accounts' under that 'BaseURL'/'Folder' (otherwise, why would you have clicked on the PM icon?).

How does this sound: I'll highlight all the accounts which match the current URL (whatever folder/group they may be in). The generated password won't be shown unless a single account is selected. Additionaly, the "settings" button will be disabled if more than one account is selected.

Sound alright?

PasswordMaker Forums

Default Account View
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 05:42:35 PM »