Author Topic: Opera edition/widjet plz  (Read 34288 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:24 AM »
Cool. I thought you were going to host it here, but that's better. We'll link to the opera site from here... let me know when it's approved.

Offline caspian

Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »
Ok, the Opera widget has been approved! It took a while since the interface didn't confirm to Opera widget standards at first, so I had to make some modifications.

The widget page can be found here: http://widgets.opera.com/widget/6197 (Wow! It's had 46 downloads and it's only been approved for 5 hours)

It's also on the "New Widgets" page: http://widgets.opera.com/new/

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »
Very nice! Congratulations! We should add this the news page and news feed.

Offline ricardomz

• Normal Members
Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
Thanks man... very good widget. The biggest limitation is that it can't retrieve the pages url automatically, so you have to create profiles and manually put urls. Other thing that I noticed is that even if I check just "domain", writing www.passwordmaker.org or www.passwordmaker.org/test makes a diferent password. Isn't it supposed to be the same? But great job man.

p.s: there's a similar widget: Password Hasher, that uses other site instead of passwordmaker.

Offline caspian

Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
Unfortunately, Opera widgets are completely separated from the browser due to "security reasons."

The options such as domain, protocol, etc. state which part of the URL is to be hashed with the other data to generate the password. So, yes, changing these options will change the generated password.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
Almost 1800 downloads... very nice, Caspian. We gotta add this to the list of editions on passwordmaker.org.

Offline jarvis

• Normal Members
Re: Opera edition/widjet plz
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 02:40:35 PM »
Hi

Given that opera widgets cannot interface with Opera, my request would be to move the "Input URL" dialog from the pop-out "Edit Profiles" window, to the main window.  This would make it easier to use the "Default" profile because you would be able to past in the URL you're logging into.

A second request would be to have a slight delay after changing the contents of a field before the password is re-calculated.  (See the desktop version).  This is because the widget seems quite sluggish when typing into text boxes and the password being recalculated with each key stroke can't be helping.  Like the desktop version, you could blank the "Calculated Password" box when a field is changed and start a timer.  If more keys are pressed, the timer is restarted.  When the timer ends (2 seconds maybe) the password is recalculated and displayed.

I did add a comment over at widgets.opera.com but I'm not sure if Caspian is monitoring this, or even continuing development of the widget.

Thanks

Andy

P.S. Full marks on the PasswordMaker system in general, just started using it after hearing somebody mention it on Security Now! podcast with Leo Laporte / Steve Gibson.  They were discussing using "algorithms" in your head to come up with passwords for different sites, but it's a h of a lot easier to use a proper hashing algorithm, thanks guys!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
P.S. Full marks on the PasswordMaker system in general, just started using it after hearing somebody mention it on Security Now! podcast with Leo Laporte / Steve Gibson.  They were discussing using "algorithms" in your head to come up with passwords for different sites, but it's a h of a lot easier to use a proper hashing algorithm, thanks guys!

Thanks! If you happen to have a link to that podcast or know which date it was that is was broadcast, I'd appreciate it... I'd like to listen to what Leo has to say. Caspian is still around; I'll ping him to get him to look into your suggestions.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
So, the Javascript in Opera widgets does't run faster than normal pages. I'm guess Firefox is the only browser that does that.

The lack of the interfacing with the main browser is the reason I didn't really try to develop it myself (and because I'm not used to using Opera anyway).
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline jarvis

• Normal Members
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:26 PM »
I heard it SN#96 which was a Listener Q&A - a listener named Justin wrote in and said (among other things)
STEVE:  It certainly sounded good.  Then he says, "There is a wonderful add-on for Firefox called PasswordMaker.  It allows you to use a single password, and it hashes your password and the domain name of the site you are currently on to create a unique, random-looking password for each site.  Since the hash is created the same way every time, you can get your password from any computer with the browser, or use the online JavaScript version if you are on a different computer."

LEO:  I use something similar from Zarate Labs, same exact idea.

STEVE:  Yup, and I like it.  And for what it’s worth, there is also an add-on for IE.  They don’t have screenshots of it.  They’ve got screenshots of the Firefox version on PasswordMaker.  But I just wanted to - I thought that was a cool thing, and I’ve heard about it, so I wanted to relay that from Justin, our listener.

LEO:  That’s a good way to do it.

Passwordmaker.org also appears in the show notes for episode #5 http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-005.htm along with some alternative methods of achieveing secure unique passwords for each web site you use.  However, it wasn't mentioned in this pod-cast.  I guess Steve just wanted to present a list of alternative "password managers" and the like and didn't get into fully describing all of them.

Yes, Opera Widgets don't seem very useful - I've never bothered with them at all until now, plus the javascript does seem to run sluggishly and consume a fair bit more CPU than when using the HTML version of Passwordmaker.  I might just use the on-line version in a panel like a user mentioned previously in this thread!

Offline caspian

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
Hi, Jarvis.

I like your ideas. Just a thought... which could be better -- moving the login URL text field to the main window, or adding a button (in the main window) which would open the login page in a new browser tab?

I like the idea of not rehashing the password immediately. I'll play around to see what kind of delay can improve performance without getting in the way with usability.

---

On a side note, I found that SoftPedia is now listing the PasswordMaker Opera widget (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/PasswordMaker-Opera-Widget.shtml).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:36:20 PM by caspian »

Offline jarvis

• Normal Members
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 06:15:38 PM »
Hi, Jarvis.

I like your ideas. Just a thought... which could be better -- moving the login URL text field to the main window, or adding a button (in the main window) which would open the login page in a new browser tab?

Both sound good ideas, why not do both!.  Can widgets open new tabs or otherwise interact with Opera?  From previous comments I thought they couldn't.

I like the idea of not rehashing the password immediately. I'll play around to see what kind of delay can improve performance without getting in the way with usability.

Cool, much appreciated.  Good luck!

Offline caspian

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:59 PM »
Widgets can open new tabs, but they can't interact with any pages... even pages that were opened by the widget.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 02:59:36 AM »
I just realized the Opera Edition was never linked on the main http://passwordmaker.org website (under "Downloads"). It's there now; hopefully this will make it easier for people to find!

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 01:40:34 AM »
Now someone needs to make it support the Wii. Only Widget I would install on mine. ;)

Actually, I need to see if I have a junk USB keyboard I wouldn't mind using on that.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 01:40:34 AM »