Author Topic: QuickLock  (Read 16203 times)

Offline thibros

QuickLock
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:55:40 PM »
A user might not want to type his master password every time, because of keyloggers, or people looking at his keyboard. But he doesn't want to leave his computer open.

A QuickLock would lock all functions of PasswordMaker, and could be invoked either directly or by a timer. A shortcut key would be nice, too.

QuickLock has its own password, which maybe expires after a certain amount of time (like a day), so every day/session the user sets up a new QuickLock password. It could very well be a short fast-typable password on the numpad (like "78523"), and the only consequences after a wrong entered password is the deletion of the master password from memory.

It's purpose is thus to protect the master password from overusing it. It would be a step between "Store master password in memory" and "Store not at all".

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
QuickLock
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 02:23:24 AM »
Hi Thibros,

This is an interesting idea and certainly hasn't been requested yet. However, do you think "Set time to clear Master Password box" in the Feature Request List would serve a similar purpose?

Unfortunately, there's no thread describing that feature linked on the FRL page. The idea is this: the user can set a number of minutes/hours after which he's entered the MPW that it "expires". In other words, even if you save the MPW, it will be erased from disk & memory after x minutes or hours.

What do you think? By the way, I like your photo  Also, why haven't you voted for any features in the FRL yet?

-Eric
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:23:51 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline thibros

QuickLock
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 07:40:09 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
This is an interesting idea and certainly hasn't been requested yet. However, do you think "Set time to clear Master Password box" in the Feature Request List would serve a similar purpose?
Yes and no. The purpose is also to have the master password VERY strong (something like "Tb,ontb1Titq2" ( This on is derived from "To be, or not to be 1 That is the question 2", taking the first letters. You have to think the whole sentence everytime you type it. But TAKE YOUR OWN SENTENCE, of course.)) and the QuickLock password something short and easy to remember and fast to type.

So when the settings are revealed, it's impossible to rehash the master password matching common used passwords, yet it's not typed too often. The "expirement" is only an addition.

What do you think? By the way, I like your photo  Also, why haven't you voted for any features in the FRL yet?
I took the pic last summer, so it's not too old. Do you look like your avatar too?  

I'm still going through the full list of feature request, making sure I understand each one. And as you might have noticed, I'm making my own feature requests, just so I can vote for THEM later.  

But I want to make a request for a new Feature Request List. A new list where people can suggest development for yet unsupported operating systems and programming languages. I found the FR for JAVA (J2ME) and mobile phones inside the Firefox Extensions FRL. That's not where I'd expect it to see. And what about a Python version? A lot of devices can run Python. I want to know where people want to see PasswodMaker.

Offline forbin

• Normal Members
QuickLock
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »
Quicken has a feature like this .. A seperate password to the PIN vault.  I kinda like this idea .. then you can have have a very obscure MPW and a more simple one to access it.  This would be more secure as well?  An encrypted Access password to gain access to the encrypted Master password?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
QuickLock
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 03:38:36 AM »
Well, I'll be honest: this is a lot of work for not much return IMHO. How about we add it to the FRL and see who else likes it? I personally wouldn't use it, but clearly there are two of you who would

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
QuickLock
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 02:37:57 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Well, I'll be honest: this is a lot of work for not much return IMHO.
I have to agree, as far as I'm concerned...

How about we add it to the FRL and see who else likes it? I personally wouldn't use it, but clearly there are two of you who would
Done... and gave it one vote from Thibros...

Quote from: Thibros
But I want to make a request for a new Feature Request List. A new list where people can suggest development for yet unsupported operating systems and programming languages. I found the FR for JAVA (J2ME) and mobile phones inside the Firefox Extensions FRL. That's not where I'd expect it to see. And what about a Python version? A lot of devices can run Python. I want to know where people want to see PasswodMaker.
Guess you missed the 'Other Editions' FRL?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
QuickLock
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 04:09:51 AM »
Do you look like your avatar too?
Heh, no, thankfully!

Offline thibros

QuickLock
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 08:37:01 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Guess you missed the 'Other Editions' FRL?
I don't think so, because those FRLs are all about the existing editions. I was talking about an ERL (Edition Request List). Once those editions are under development, they can have their own FRL.

Or maybe a forum category called "editions in development", with discussions on the Opera browser edition, J2ME, PocketPC, phone editions, and suggestions, etc. I'm probably starting the PocketPC edition first next week, and I'd like to find people testing a beta or making feature requests.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
QuickLock
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 09:20:34 PM »
Thibros,

I can add such a forum if you like... or we can use the "Other" forum until the posts about a particular edition reach critical mass.

If you are starting the PocketPC edition next week, then I'd like to invite you to the "private" forums where we discuss (mostly) development issues.

I'll add you to the private forums shortly.

-Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
QuickLock
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Thibros
I don't think so, because those FRLs are all about the existing editions.
Ahh, ok, yeah, I see... sorry...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:42:20 AM by tanstaafl »

Offline lkd999

• Normal Members
QuickLock
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »
Here is a suggestion which should be not too hard to implement:

Clear Master pwd from memory when one of the following happens:
    - "Clear MP" button pressed
or - FF is minimized
or - the computer is idle for a certain time

PasswordMaker Forums