Author Topic: Password Template Filter  (Read 13388 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Password Template Filter
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:56:55 PM »
Adding this now, forgot to do so a while back. Don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

This is a request for a Password Template, that would act as a Password Pre-Generation Filter. Basically it would force a generated password to conform to a specific required format... for example, you should be able to specify that the first character should be a number, , and that the password should contain at least one number, one lower case and one upper case letter.

This request originated in this thread, which contains this example of how another program - Password Agent - accomplishes this (well, as far as the UI goes).

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Password Template Filter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:42 PM »
OK, add it to the FRL. It reminds me of Tyrantmizar's PasswordMaker Markup Language, even though it's not really related. I think the two could be combined, somehow. Maybe the template can be specified in the markup he talks about; e.g., {A} for upper alpha, {a} for lower-case alpha, {n} for number, {o} for other, etc...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:07:06 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Password Template Filter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:24:25 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
OK, add it to the FRL.
Done...

It reminds me of Tyrantmizar's PasswordMaker Markup Language, even though it's not really related.
Wow, I somehow had missed that one... very interesting indeed...

Hmmm... off the top of my head, I think you're right, its not directlty related, except that it is simply another way of affecting the resulting password.

I think the two could be combined, somehow. Maybe the template can be specified in the markup he talks about; e.g., {A} for upper alpha, {a} for lower-case alpha, {n} for number, {o} for other, etc...
Actually, I don't think they can really be combined. The Password Template Filter, by its nature, would have to be the very last thing in the loop, but the PasswordMaker Markup Language request would essentially be the very first thing - in fact, it would pretty much have to replace the 'When URL Contains' (and the other requests to enhance this part) function - you know, be an either-or choice - either you want to totally customize the URL components, or you use the pre-defined options.

So, imho, I think they should be kept separate... unless, it makes sense programatically? Maybe you can do them both at the same time, and so for coding convenience, want to combine them?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:28:52 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Password Template Filter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »
Yeah, I'll have to think about it more.

PasswordMaker Forums

Password Template Filter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »