Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 11824 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Help needed please
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »
Quote from: Guest
Hi John,

Your installed extensions have nothing to do with this.
Actually, they did on his first computer - he had Roboform on it, as he said...

So, why will the passwordmaker not do what it is supposed to do  

Regards
John B
Because you're missing something...

Maybe you should start over and tell us your exact steps you're taking, from the point of installing PWM...

Help needed please
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 07:48:17 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
In PasswordMaker or in the Firefox Password Manager?

In passwordMaker.

John.

Help needed please
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 07:55:12 AM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Actually, they did on his first computer - he had Roboform on it, as he said...

Maybe you should start over and tell us your exact steps you're taking, from the point of installing PWM...

If you read May 5 2006, 07:40 AM post this tells you what I did from piont of installing PWM.

I never set a master password in the FF password manager.

Mmmm I gathered that that's why I am asking on here  

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Help needed please
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 04:02:22 PM »
If you read May 5 2006, 07:40 AM post this tells you what I did from piont of installing PWM.
Ok, assuming you mean the post on the 3rd (there isn't one from the 5th), I didn't reply to that one because I couldn't make a lot of sense out it, but I'll give it a shot now...

I set a master password first.
Eric then asked you if you meant the MPW in PWM, or Firefox, and you said PWM, and that you never set a Master PW in Firefox... but the next part of your post says:

Then.

I installed the password maker extension and deleted any previous password I had created with it.
Eh?  - this makes no sense - how can you set a MPW in PWM BEFORE you INSTALL it? And for that matter, how can you have previously set passwords with it, again, BEFORE you installed it...

See what I mean? Your explanation obviously is not complete - because the only way this can make sense is if you have previously installed then uninstalled PWM, but if so, you left that part out.

This is important because, if you install it, and change prefs and/or create some accounts, then uninstall it/reinstall it, then you are STILL using the settings/accounts that you CHANGED before you uninstalled it.

The only way to start over with default settings is to delete the 'passwordmaker.rdf' file that is in your profile folder. And by the way, this is also the file to backup if you want to save your settings, or migrate them to another computer.

I want to use existing passwords so I have created a new group and in that group a new account. I want to use the Advanced Auto Populate function with the user name and password I already have, so in the user name section I entered my user name and in the Advanced Auto-Populate section I entered my password in field Name and field value by clicking onto the password that was in the password filed on the web site I want to log into.
Ok, first - you went to the login page of the account you are setting up... but you say that you 'clicked onto the password that was in the password field' - what do you mean? There was already a password there? If so, then something else is putting it there, unless you have already enabled auto-populate and refreshed the window - if so, try disabling auto-populate for this account until you finish setting it up - if not, then as I said, something else is populating it.

Next, you say that you entered your password in BOTH the field NAME and the field VALUE fields? If so, this is most likely your problem - unless the actual field-name on the form is the same as your password, which is unlikely to the point of being virtually impossible - in other words, do NOT change this value (field NAME) for ANY of these fields after PWM has populated it for you (after you click into the field) - it is the form-field name that PWM uses to determine which field to populate with which value.

Lastly, you say you are wanting to just use your OLD passwords, without changing them to ones generated by PWM. This is indeed how you would do this, but just want to confirm. Normally, unless the password field was NOT properly detected by PWM, OR (as in this case?) you wanted to use a non-PWM-generated password, you would NOT use these Advanced Auto-populate fields for the password field, you'd just let PWM do its thing. Also, you would still need to use the SAME MPW as you did when setting up the account initially.

I then pressed the add button which added the password to the small window below the Add & Delete Selection buttons.

Now, when I go to the web page I want to log into which is www.pcanswers.co.uk then go to the forum section to log in, the user name is not populated and the password is compleatly different form the one that is in the Advanced Auto-Populate section. So what am I doing wrong?
Ok, but you left off something... did PWM prompt you for the MPW? If not, but a password got populated anyway, then indeed, something else (NOT PWM) is populating that field.

Hope this helped...

Charles

PasswordMaker Forums

Help needed please
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 04:02:22 PM »