Author Topic: Help, my passwords are all wrong!!  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Chatalot

• Normal Members
Help, my passwords are all wrong!!
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:40:10 PM »
Hello,
Earlier this evening I used approximately 12-15 of my log-in accounts without any problems at all.  Two hours later i tried to log-in to those same accounts and each one has invalid log-in details.  I used Passwordmaker in exactly the same way each time and made no changes to my accounts between uses.  Please can you tell me what could possibly have gone wrong.  I have ZoneAlarm and AVG installed so thought I was fairly safe from hackers etc.

Now I come to think of it, I wasn't asked for my master password before attempting to log in.  I don't know if this is signifiacnt or not.

I'd really appreciate an urgent response.

regards

Chatalot

Quote from: Chatalot
Hello,
Earlier this evening I used approximately 12-15 of my log-in accounts without any problems at all.  Two hours later i tried to log-in to those same accounts and each one has invalid log-in details.  I used Passwordmaker in exactly the same way each time and made no changes to my accounts between uses.  Please can you tell me what could possibly have gone wrong.  I have ZoneAlarm and AVG installed so thought I was fairly safe from hackers etc.

Now I come to think of it, I wasn't asked for my master password before attempting to log in.  I don't know if this is signifiacnt or not.

I'd really appreciate an urgent response.

regards

Chatalot

OK - now I'm really confused - but somewhat relieved as well!!
When I realised I hadn't been asked for the master password, I went back and re-entered it.
After doing that everything worked ok.  Somehow my master password had been changed.
The panic is over now as I can access what I need, but I guess the question exists - how did the master password get changed?

regards

Chatalot
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:37:10 PM by Chatalot »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »
Quote from: Chatalot
OK - now I'm really confused - but somewhat relieved as well!!
When I realised I hadn't been asked for the master password, I went back and re-entered it.
After doing that everything worked ok.  Somehow my master password had been changed.
The panic is over now as I can access what I need, but I guess the question exists - how did the master password get changed?
Well, I guess this depends...

What version of PWM? OS?

Are you storing your MPW in memory? Or on disk?

If either, then the most likely cause of the problem is that you entered it wrong the last time you were prompted, and the wrong version got stored... although, it is of course entirely possible that there is a bug.

Personally, I don't store my MPW either on disk or in memory, so I would never notice a bug there...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »
Chatalot, make sure you turn on "Prompt for Master Password Twice (instead of once)" then you won't make a typo.

I highly doubt you've found a new bug. There are tens of thousands of pleased PasswordMaker users.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:55:19 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Chatalot, make sure you turn on "Prompt for Master Password Twice (instead of once)" then you won't make a typo.

I highly doubt you've found a new bug. There are tens of thousands of pleased PasswordMaker users.

tens of thousands, eh ?  I trust that you have a reliable source for this guestimate.  If you do and the number is somewhat trustworthy, I am very happy for you.      As a simple user, I have no way of telling how popular PM really is.  But I can truly imagine that there are that many users.  It would be interesting to know how long it's taken for people to finally catch on to this great piece of softwsre.  It would be even more interesting to see what the curve of users vs. time would look like.

Again, thanks again for a great set of security tools.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

LkonKbd

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:05:57 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung

Greetings from LeonSprings, Texas USofA,

OK, this is going to be a little long as I attempt to explain a similar problem experienced this morning with my Bank.  As you know of me by now, it can become a bit confused.

I attempted to login to my banking account and it kept telling my my JavaScript was not working, that was because of NoScript was blocking them, the end of that problem.  The next time I attempted to enter it told me I had an invalid user name or incorrect password.  I called them and they changed my password, as they cannot extract my password, to a simple one so I could go in and change it to whatever.  It worked and allowed me in, but; they have a time-out, not sure how long it is, and my session logged me out because of that time-out.  So I logged back in with the password I had just set and went through the same problem of "invalid user name or incorrect password" and called them again to get it changed.  I hung-up and logged out to try my new(old) password and could not get back in.  They have a 'Forgotten your password' link setup so I used that and went in and changed my password and all went well, except it would not allow me in, what I mean is it told me my password was changed and confirmed the action but NO you may not enter!!  I called them back and complained so they elevated this problem to their Technical Department, now waitting for them to call me.  In the mean time I went into the Advanced Auto-Populate area, and thanks to your discussions with others I learnt how to determine how to use this by going to 'Tools', 'Page Info' and placing the cursor in the box to have the titles entered so I may provide the correct info for each.  I did just that and even entered the correct password, but; when going in to that field, pswrd, with all of the astersks my password would show in the password field within the 'Advanced Auto-Populate' area and was not the same as the one PWM had generated.  After several tries I finally managed to get what came back as the same as what was created by PWM.  I eventually made it work correctly all seems to be working now.

Do you understand what I am attempting to explain?  Through all of this I use the enter MasterPassword once, did not go in and change to entering it twice stayed with ONCE.  It now works without any difficulties.  Any questions, Just Ask and I will make all attempts to explain or TEST for you.

Greetings from LeonSprings, Texas,  Edited by LkOnKbd 4/26/2006@1743Hours (5:43P)

After posting this I returned to my bank and attempted to re-inter of which I could NOT.  At this time I still have not been able to return, time 5:40P on the same day as above.  Do not know what has caused all of this.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:45:01 PM by LkonKbd »

LkonKbd

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Quote from: Romeo
tens of thousands, eh ?  I trust that you have a reliable source for this guestimate.  If you do and the number is somewhat trustworthy, I am very happy for you.   :)   As a simple user, I have no way of telling how popular PM really is.  But I can truly imagine that there are that many users.  It would be interesting to know how long it's taken for people to finally catch on to this great piece of softwsre.  It would be even more interesting to see what the curve of users vs. time would look like.

Again, thanks again for a great set of security tools.
Romeo,

A very accurate account of the downloads will give you a strong idea as to how many USERS there are, plus the fact of your membership in this discussion forum can add some more solid figures.

I feel the number is much HIGHER because of the downloads from Mozilla as well were probably very good also.  The BEST spread of info on this is from 'friend to friend' let alone the 'stranger to stranger' and that probably worked just as well because this is THE password genie that will be around for a very long time.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »