Author Topic: Bug in firefox edition (linux)  (Read 5439 times)

Offline thibros

Bug in firefox edition (linux)
« on: June 21, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
Version information:
Linux Suse 10.1
X-windows: Gnome
Firefox 1.5.0.3
PasswordMaker 1.5.1
(has been reported by Mike on a slightly different system, but with the same behaviour)

To recreate the bug:
Create an account (e.g. forums.passwordmaker.org)
set up an advanced auto-populate field for the password
Click OK
Test the page (it should work as it should)
Open the account, and close it again
Test the page
   BUG: the password filled in is 64 asterixes, it's the ENCRYPTED VALUE
   (I checked by checking "Show clear passwords" and comparing to the rdf file.)
Every time you open the account and close it, the encrypted value will be encrypted again, making the value even longer.
It does not seem to be decrypted ever.

(Note: encryption and decryption works fine in 'remotes')

Temporary workaround:
Store the custom password in the field "Password Prefix" with the appropriate length (Extanded tab). NOTE: no encryption in the rdf file!
Check the box: Automatically populate username and password fields... (General tab)

Second bug:
If "show clear passwords" is checked, in advanced auto-populate a password field is not recognized as such, but as text field.
Added as text field, it's not populated.
Changing it manually to password, doesn't work either, closing the account and opening it changes the Field Value from <hidden> to empty.

Temporary workaround:
Don't check "show all passwords on web pages as clear text" while setting up accounts.

Do you need more information?

I've never debugged any firefox extension before, but I'll be happy to learn, or test anything.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:42:01 PM by Thibros »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:33:08 PM »
Hi Thibros,

Thanks for reporting this. Can you do one more favor? Can you open the Javascript Console before you run these two tests? In Windows Firefox, this is found in Tools->Javascript Console, but in Linux it might be under Edit or View.

Then run the tests and tell me if any Javascript errors from PasswordMaker appear. It's not important if there are any from the website(s) themselves.

Thank you,
Eric

Offline thibros

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:27:07 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Thanks for reporting this. Can you do one more favor? Can you open the Javascript Console before you run these two tests? In Windows Firefox, this is found in Tools->Javascript Console, but in Linux it might be under Edit or View.

Then run the tests and tell me if any Javascript errors from PasswordMaker appear. It's not important if there are any from the website(s) themselves.
In Linux it's also in the Tools menu.

Sorry, no PasswordMaker errors whatsoever. Nor warnings or messages. I checked both bugs.

One more detail: the decryption of the password works when I press the cool key. By this I mean, when the encrypted value appears in the password field, the file is already double envrypted, thus the first encryption will be calculated from that value.

Thus: only when I open an account, the encrypted value is loaded directly instead of being decrypted, but when I click OK to close the dialog it will be encrypted, thus creating the double encryption. Opening an account and closing it several times will result in a very long string inside the rdf file.

Here's yet another temporary workaround:
After setting up the account with the custom password in the advanced auot-population field, close the dialog and never open it again. If you do open it, you must delete the stored password and set it up again (every time).
If you do it this way, you cannot use the link in the General tab to navigate to that site. (@Mike: that's why it didn't work when we tested it. It would have worked if we hadn't opened the account dialog.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 01:39:45 PM by Thibros »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:06:52 PM »
OK, thanks for the info.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:06:52 PM »