Author Topic: similar settings for muliple user name  (Read 7339 times)

Offline dschwartfeger

• Normal Members
similar settings for muliple user name
« on: April 15, 2006, 01:32:14 AM »
Enjoying the short time I have used this- great job all.

I would like to be able to use the same settings(hash type etc) for most login pages. The thing is some sites require an email address while generally I prefer using a login name that doesn't include an email address, still other sites fix the username and I can't change it.

At present it seems the best way to set up things is to put he most common username in the default account setting then create an account for every other site that uses a different username. This works but if half of my sites use a second username this amounts to a lot of setting up.

Is there an easy way to apply the same settings to different sites(URLs) using the same user/login name but giving each a different generated password?

If not then it is a feature I would like.
Note: the "Multiple "When URL Contains" entries to accounts." request would seem to generate the same username & password for different URLs if I understand correctly.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:57:27 AM »
Multiple accounts seems to be the only way right now.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 02:35:58 AM »
Is there an easy way to apply the same settings to different sites(URLs) using the same user/login name but giving each a different generated password?
Yes, this is precisely what the "Modifier" field does. It's just an extra field which you can put anything into (number, alphabet, words, sentences, whatever you like) that affects the generated password. So, if you keep the accounts identical except for Modifier, I think you'll have what you like.

Give it a try and let us know,
Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 03:23:40 AM »
Actually, I think what Donald is asking for is precisely fulfilled by my own, personal favorite Feature Request, namely, Modifiable Username Prompt.

Donald, can you confirm that this would completely and utterly fulfill your every desire?

Seriously, this is just a FR that I have been waiting for oh-so-long, but no one else seems to have a huge need for - but it would make PWM vastly more simple for me to use, given my own personal needs, that I just moan every time I think about it - which is every time I scroll down my huge list of ever-growing accounts, most of which I will happily delete when this FR is finally implemented...

Anyway, if this is something you'd like to see added, please, by all means, mosey on over the the Feature Request List and add your vote! And everyone gets 5 votes, so while you're there, feel free to see if there are any others you'd like to see implemented.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 06:16:35 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline dschwartfeger

• Normal Members
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:30:15 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Actually, I think what Donald is asking for is precisely fulfilled by my own, personal favorite Feature Request, namely, Modifiable Username Prompt.

Donald, can you confirm that this would completely and utterly fulfill your every desire?
It would be useful but actually I was thinking more along the lines of what is in the-
 'Multiple "When URL Contains" entries to accounts' request but allowing multiple URLs or regexps in the "in this text" field.
This would allow me to make 1 rule for all sites that use a particular username and simply add each URL or a regular expression to cover all the sites I want to use it for.

One thing that would have to be considered is the precedence given when multiple regexps match (perhaps the highest account setting in the list)

I will add some of these thoughts to that post
thanks

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »
One thing that would have to be considered is the precedence given when multiple regexps match (perhaps the highest account setting in the list)
Actually, this is already taken into account. You can already create multiple accounts which match the same URL (contains the same text). When this happens, the user is prompted to select which one to use from the list of matching accounts. Give it a try.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »