Author Topic: Compiling PasswordMaker under OS X  (Read 10034 times)

the salt man

Compiling PasswordMaker under OS X
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
howdy,

i recently compiled passwordmaker under os x tiger and i've got some instructions for people trying to do the same. i'm assuming a general familiarity with unix.

1. go to http://mhash.sourceforge.net/ and grab the mhash source code, install is standard ./configure, make, sudo make install

2. go to the directory where you extracted the passwordmaker source

3. open unix.mak and delete everything on the line after "LFLAGS = " then save it and exit your editor

4. at the command prompt in the directory the source is in type "make -f unix.mak" and hit enter

It should compile everything correctly and leave you with an executable called "passwordmaker"

I confirmed the output of the executable with that from the JS online version.

hope that helps anyone.

if anyone wants the executable drop a line in response

-The Salt Man

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:00:25 AM »
Hello Salt Man,

I most definitely would like the executable. Can you email it to me? [email protected].

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 12:00:37 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »
So the stuff in LFLAGS has some issues on OS X? I'll remove it now so that will be fixed in the next version. Also, I plan on having building docs as well.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

the salt man

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 04:07:28 AM »
eric: it's on the way, sent the email from duxlax at gmail dot com

miquelfire: yeah i'm fairly certain most of the options passed to ld by that make file are not supported by it, at least not on os x. i'd check the man pages for ld online to figure out whether the standard linux/bsd ld supports the options as well.

also, ideally, the make file should be renamed to just "makefile" so that the user can just enter "make" rather than having to point make to the makefile

sorry about the delay, kinda forgot i posted, i'll try to check more often.

-The Salt Man

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 04:15:35 AM »
eric: it's on the way, sent the email from duxlax at gmail dot com
Thanks! I'll try it on my i386 OSX build, although I know it probably won't work unless it's a cross-platform binary. Is it?

kinda forgot i posted, i'll try to check more often.
If you register and "Track This Topic", you'll get email notifications when someone posts a reply to this thread.

Salt Man? Cool name. What's it mean?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 04:16:43 AM by Eric H. Jung »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »
If you know of a way to allow us to detect the OS being used, I'll think about it. I have to type 'make -f mingw32.mak' everytime I compile the binary for Windows, even if I'm just testing to make it compiles. But having just one makefile would be nice.

Offline duxlax

• Normal Members
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:24:37 PM »
Quote from: miquelfire
If you know of a way to allow us to detect the OS being used, I'll think about it. I have to type 'make -f mingw32.mak' everytime I compile the binary for Windows, even if I'm just testing to make it compiles. But having just one makefile would be nice.

autoconf/make would probably deal with that well, unfortuntely i don't really have any experience creating those setups, only editing them a little, and i've heard it's somewhat tricky. if you know anyone with experience creating them they could probably help ya out

only problem might be getting it to work under windows, without needing a cygwin type enviroment to be already in place
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:27:15 PM by The Salt Man »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:31:04 AM »
It doesn't work under Windows without some sort of Unix like enviroment, so autoconf is out.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:31:04 AM »