Author Topic: Using --Page Info-- for Auto Populate Feature  (Read 20422 times)

Offline offroadsooner

Using --Page Info-- for Auto Populate Feature
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »
My knowledge of webpages, webmaking, etc. is extremely limited so the rest of this message should be taken with that in mind (I need a WYSIWYG webpage application to even have a fighting chance...and I must admit that I now have a webpage on Google Pages...)--

Using the new, wonderful auto populate feature is great but I had been using the HTML view to find the form name, form id, etc. which, with my lack of knowledge, was not easy AT ALL.    

Then yesterday (known to many other people I'm sure) I found the Tools->Page Info menu option and, WHAM!, there was all the information that I needed without any hassle, humbug, or unnecessary frustrations!    

I just thought that it might be useful for other novices to know this so that using the auto populate feature is as easy for everyone as I'm sure it's intended!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:47:16 AM by Brad »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:37:28 PM »
Hi Brad,

That really is a good tip. I wasn't able to find Tools->Page, but I did find right_click->View Page Info. Here's a screenshot for everyone:

But I think you've forgotten -- or perhaps didn't know -- that you don't even need this information. PasswordMaker will gather the field info for you. Go to the Auto-Populate tab (called Advanced Auto-Populate in 1.5.1 and above). The dialog now remains in the foreground (again, 1.5.1 and above behavior). Click any field on any webpage and take a look at the Auto-Populate tab. All the infor (field name, field value, field id, field type, form name) is populated for you! This works with versions 1.5 above... meaning since the beginning of the Auto-Populate tab!

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:43:05 PM »
I sure didn't know that!  What a wonderful feature that I somehow missed--but I believe that I remember (somewhat) a post about this very thing.

I'm just on the upswing--not yet at the peak--of the learning curve.  Hopefully I'll make it.

Thanks,

Brad

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
But I think you've forgotten -- or perhaps didn't know -- that you don't even need this information. PasswordMaker will gather the field info for you. Go to the Auto-Populate tab (called Advanced Auto-Populate in 1.5.1 and above). The dialog now remains in the foreground (again, 1.5.1 and above behavior). Click any field on any webpage and take a look at the Auto-Populate tab. All the infor (field name, field value, field id, field type, form name) is populated for you! This works with versions 1.5 above... meaning since the beginning of the Auto-Populate tab!
Well, )(*&^%$#@!~ !!

Don't feel bad, Brad - I've been using PWM since about ver 0.5, and I missed that as well... and I was just working on a request for something similar for my 'Password Management' FR. Way kewl!

Now, for the bad news.. I tested this on the problematic site that was reported by Lutz here, and nothing shows up in the Auto-Populate tab when clicking in these fields - so most likely, that will help you find the problem for this site.

Now, I'm off to find a site that this works with to play!

Thanks again, Eric... one of the reasons I've stayed so excited about PWM since I started using it is because it changes so fast, and always for the better!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:31:31 PM by tanstaafl »

bart

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
Sorry I might be missing something. So i go to a web site that has a form. Open password maker go to Advanced Auto Populate > Then click on a field on the web page. This should then fill out the form information ready for me to add password etc??

If so it doesnt seem to be working for me. I'm using FF on Tiger with your latest extension.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Barty

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 09:19:31 PM »
Quote from: bart
Sorry I might be missing something. So i go to a web site that has a form. Open password maker go to Advanced Auto Populate > Then click on a field on the web page. This should then fill out the form information ready for me to add password etc??

If so it doesnt seem to be working for me. I'm using FF on Tiger with your latest extension.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Barty
Hi Barty,

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work, so you're not missing anything, except, maybe, the previous message about another site that it isn't working on. Apparently, there are some sites that are doing something differently that Eric hasn't taken into consideration, so if you could post the actual URL of the site that this isn't working on, I'm sure it will help Eric find the problem.

Thanks for your help in finding this bug...

Bart

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 11:40:55 AM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Hi Barty,

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work, so you're not missing anything, except, maybe, the previous message about another site that it isn't working on. Apparently, there are some sites that are doing something differently that Eric hasn't taken into consideration, so if you could post the actual URL of the site that this isn't working on, I'm sure it will help Eric find the problem.

Thanks for your help in finding this bug...

Thanks for the response. I guess I was unlucky, the two sites I had tried this on was my internal router admin page and my works Outlook web access. I have since tried this on gmail. It works perfectly on that site. If I find a public page that it doesn't work on I will post a link. On a side note, I think that password maker is an excellent product. At last I have found a password manager that will work across all operating systems. This is something that I have struggled with since my migration to mac at home.

Once again thanks

barty

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »
my works Outlook web access
If your work's Outlook website is anything like mine, it uses HTTP Basic Authentication. This type of login is not supported by PasswordMaker's auto-populate, as discussed in this thread. Sorry.

my internal router admin page
PasswordMaker auto-populate works on my router's admin page. Would it be possible for you to send the HTML of your page (using View Source)?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:36:05 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
PasswordMaker auto-populate works on my router's admin page. Would it be possible for you to send the HTML of your page (using View Source)?

Thanks,
Eric
My Linksys uses Basic HTTP Auth, so it won't work - maybe his is using that?

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 02:09:56 AM »
My Netgear also uses HTTP Auth.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 02:40:22 AM »
Ah, that's probably it. My SMC router doesn't use HTTP Basic Auth...it has a regular HTML password field. So let's scrap this thread up to the HTTP Basic Auth issue, not a bug in auto-populate.

Steve

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
Here's a page where the auto populate does not work where you can select the field id, etc. by just clicking the field on the actual form:

https://hnbtnet.hibernia.com/

I want to populate fields like the user code on that creen.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 02:34:48 PM »
Here's a page where the auto populate does not work where you can select the field id, etc. by just clicking the field on the actual form:

https://hnbtnet.hibernia.com/

I want to populate fields like the user code on that creen.
This page appears to use nested frames (can anyone confirm?). Auto-populate support for nested frames will be in release 1.6.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:35:46 PM by Eric H. Jung »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 02:34:48 PM »