Author Topic: Exe gui, auto fil for non broswer items  (Read 28907 times)

Offline lordgreggreg

Exe gui, auto fil for non broswer items
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:52:02 PM »
Ok, I love the command line version, but it is a bit cumbersome to have to type -r google.com -g 32 etc.  So, i was thinking something more user friendly, perhaps much like the version you see in FireFox, just not as an extension.  rather one that comes up when you run the .exe  Also, I love the auto complete, however, when logging onto aim, or yahoo, there is no "cool key" feature to fill in the fields.  Perhaps a way to add a "fill field wit h password" in regular windows explorer for this?
GregHendrickson

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:18:15 PM »
Hi Greg,

I agree the command-line version is cumbersome. You can speed it up by running it with a batch file that automatically passes the command-line arguments. In other words, create one batch file per account. Yeah, that's really ugly.

I've always intended to have a standalone version of PasswordMaker. It's in the feature-request lists. The command-line version is the "backbone" of that. We just need to add a GUI to it.

You mentioned in another thread you'd be interested in this kind of work. Is that true?

-Eric
p.s. moving this thread from the Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock Browser Extension > Feature Requests / Enhancements forum to the Other Editions > Feature Requests / Enhancements forum.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:19:03 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »
Bah, we both did the moving!
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 11:23:40 PM »
I just placed what I've done for a java version in Subversion. You can browse it here.

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
I just placed what I've done for a java version in Subversion. You can browse it here.
Alright, I took a look at it, and it looks very nice.  I wasn't able to complile it myself because i don't have your "org.apache.commons.cli" stuff.  I apologise for not spending too much time analysing all the code, but what I got out of it, is that the gui part needs to
1. Look Good
2. Send an 11 String call to password maker object
3. Recive a String (either error text or Correct password) and display it.
[/color]
GregHendrickson

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:23:58 PM »
Alright, I was thinking that for starters, to make it look very similar to http://passwordmaker.org/passwordmaker.html
just compact it a little bit more.
also, what string would you want me to send for the prefix, if they chose not to suply one? ""?  (I problby could have read your code to find out, sorry for being lazy)
GregHendrickson

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
I wasn't able to complile it myself because i don't have your "org.apache.commons.cli" stuff.
You can find the two libraries (jars) in the /lib directory.

Send an 11 String call to password maker object
Right, we should objectify of some of these strings. e.g.:

Code: [Select]
class Account {
  private String url, useLeet, leetLevel, hashAlgorithm,
  characters, passwordLen, username, modifier,
  prefix, suffix;

// TODO: getters and setters
}

then it takes two args: the master password and an Account object.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:16:36 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:35:09 PM »
Right, we should make objectify of some of these strings. e.g.:
class Account {
  private String url, useLeet, leetLevel, hashAlgorithm,
  characters, passwordLen, username, modifier,
  prefix, suffix;
  // TODO: getters and setters
}
then it takes two args: the master password and an Account object.
Hmm, so first send most of the stings to an acount object.. and then send the acount object to the passwordmaker along with the master password?
or, are you thinking of having them create and account file, and then after they store it somewhere (unsure how to do that) alow them to load it and the master password?

I had in mind one that looked at worked almost identical to the JS Online version...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 06:35:41 PM by greg »
GregHendrickson

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
Hmm, so first send most of the stings to an acount object.. and then send the acount object to the passwordmaker along with the master password?
Right. This is a more OO way of solving the problem. There will be other places where we'll need to use Account objects; e.g., reading and writing them, deleting them, creating them, editing them.

are you thinking of having them create and account file, and then after they store it somewhere (unsure how to do that) alow them to load it and the master password?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The program should read and write the file directly.

I had in mind one that looked at worked almost identical to the JS Online version...
I did, too... at least initially. But ultimately we want this to support multiple accounts, just like the browser extension. The online version will support multiple accounts, too. With that in mind, I think we should design for that up front...hence the idea of an Account object.

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 07:14:47 PM »
Right, when compling, all works except for
PasswordMaker.java:120: replace(char,char) in java.lang.String cannot be applied to (java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
                hashAlgorithm = hashAlgorithm.replace("-", "");
                                             ^
1 error

Process completed.

glad we are not taking the easy way out, lol.
Alright, I understand what you have in mind, and I can make it work except for one problem that I forsee.  Once the acount settig are created... are we going to store them onto the hardrive some where (as a .act or somehting?) If so, I don't have any clue how to do that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:16:25 PM by greg »
GregHendrickson

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
Interesting. I don't know why I made those arguments strings. Clearly they both should be chars:

hashAlgorithm = hashAlgorithm.replace('-', '');
Do you want checkin access to the Subversion repository? If so, create a SourceForge ID and tell me what it is...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:16:14 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 07:18:33 PM »

Do you want checkin access to the Subversion repository? If so, create a SourceForge ID and tell me what it is...
not yet, I am a little busy with school now... So I'm not realy coding anyhting yet, just getting into my head what I want to do, and figuring out if I know how to do it. eventauly I will start writting some code, and I'll let you know my account then.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:23:38 PM by greg »
GregHendrickson

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 08:01:47 PM »
OK, well let me know what the next step is for you, and how I might help out. I do all my Java development in Eclipse. What about you?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:23 PM »
Alright, I was thinking that for starters, to make it look very similar to http://passwordmaker.org/passwordmaker.html
just compact it a little bit more.
Sounds good.

also, what string would you want me to send for the prefix, if they chose not to suply one? ""? (I problby could have read your code to find out, sorry for being lazy)
Please force them to enter a master password. Blank MPWs are no longer accepted.

Offline lordgreggreg

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »
I use JCreator, but normaly start in notepad.
And I will make them enter in a master password, but what would you like returned if they don't specify somehting else, like a prefix.

The program should read and write the file directly.
I will need help doing that.  How do you write and read?
GregHendrickson

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »