Author Topic: Master password /Account confusion  (Read 6001 times)

Forbin

Master password /Account confusion
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:50:30 AM »
I read the forums and I thought there was an entry where I thought you can do this.  Is it possible to have multiple master passwords?  I break up my sites and passwords based on security.  For my low security sites (The Default setting) I would like the master password in memory and on disk.  Medium and High Security, I would like different master passwords and ..  for Medium, retain in memory and High, not retained anywhere.  Is this possible (Having 3 different Master passwords)?  It looked like when I entered new Groups within Accounts, the Master passwords followed the Groups.

Thanks ..

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »
Hi Forbin,

You can have as many master passwords as you like. However, once you save a master password to disk or memory, you won't be prompted for it again unless you Clear Master Password with the Alt-Ctrl-` shortcut or manually erasing the master password in the dialog.

Does that answer your question? There have been requests for multiple master password support WITH saving to disk or memory; please vote for that feature if you'd like it.

Regards.
Eric
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 01:07:41 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline morguns

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:09:29 AM »
passwordmaker can't store multiple passwords like you're talking about. if you want to use multiple passwords, simply open passwordmaker (eg. ctrl-`) and type in the password of choice.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:12:43 AM »
But morguns, I believe this has been requested by others (e.g., Romeo). Take a look at the FRL.

Offline morguns

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:21:06 AM »
But morguns, I believe this has been requested by others (e.g., Romeo). Take a look at the FRL.
you are correct of course. i prolly should have mentioned the frl in my reply. never mind me, i've been eating my foot quite regularly lately :)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »
Actually, I don't see this *precise* FR on the list, but similar functionality has been discussed, and there are a few that speak to this... for example:

This one talks about 'Master Password Verification', and a second 'Master Password VErification - Visual Indicator', which if implemented, in my opinion, should be implemented at the Account Level, as opposed to the extension level. By this I mean, save the MPW hash that was used for that particular Account.

Here is another one that is vaguely related - 'Hash Master Password before Use'. I really, really like this idea, and believe that this should be part of this new functionality.

Since PWM currently allows you to use whatever you want for the MPW, whenever you want (at Password Change time, at Password Enter time, etc), it only makes sense to do all of this on a per Account basis.

This is one of the things I have noticed that confuses many new users of PWM. That said, it is a Feature (I do consider it a Feature) that I consider critical, and finding a way to minimize the confusion aspect while enhancing the effectiveness I think is highly desirable.

So, Eric, maybe we should discuss consolidating the Feature Requests that deal in some way with this, or at least, link them together, so that if/when you decide to start implementing them, you'll be able to take into account the different aspects?

I'll go through the list sometime this week if that is agreeable, and see which ones make sense to consolidate, and which ones to simply link to the main request.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:20:59 PM »
So, Eric, maybe we should discuss consolidating the Feature Requests that deal in some way with this, or at least, link them together, so that if/when you decide to start implementing them, you'll be able to take into account the different aspects?

I'll go through the list sometime this week if that is agreeable, and see which ones make sense to consolidate, and which ones to simply link to the main request.
Yes, please do.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:21:25 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline forbin

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:34:14 PM »
Guys .. I appreciate the chatter ;-)

Thanks

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:34:14 PM »