Author Topic: Making command-line work  (Read 20444 times)

Offline lordgreggreg

Making command-line work
« on: March 26, 2006, 12:35:49 AM »
Alright, i have password manager working just fine.  However, my Internet is slow, and so is my browser, so I don't want to always use them to generate a password.  So, an .exe version would be perfect.  However, when I run the command line version (double clicking on it) it pops up a dos window, and immediately closes it.  Something tells me that this is not how you call it.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Don't call me a noob to much:) thanks
GregHendrickson

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Making command-line work
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:16:42 AM »
Open a command line prompt, goto the directory you 'installed' the command-line version (because it's uses a JS file that needs to be in the same directory) and you can run it there. I suggest running it with the -h flag to see how to change the options to your needs. Also note, as a design choice, you will have to enter your master password everytime you use it.

Anyway, glad to know someone is using this version
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline lordgreggreg

Making command-line work
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 03:20:17 AM »
Quote from: miquelfire
Open a command line prompt, goto the directory you 'installed' the command-line version
Alright, I'm not quite sure where a command line prompt is.  I have windows Xp, and i can open up the dos window, but by default it is in the wrong folder and i don't know the commands to change that.
I also can use the "run" in windows, and i typed in the "program location" -h, and the dos window opened up, with what seemed to be lots of writing, but closed in less than a blink of the eye...?  
And yes, I am very excited to use this version, thanks so much for helping create it (I believe, if I've done my research correctly)
GregHendrickson

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Making command-line work
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 03:31:38 AM »
Command prompt is what most call the "DOS window"

Anyway, to change directories, just type:
Code: [Select]
cd <program location> and if you have it on another drive (if you have more than one, or you have it on a USB key), just type "driveLetter:" before changing to the directory.

Hope this helps everyone out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:31:59 AM by miquelfire »

Offline morguns

Making command-line work
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:25:27 AM »
to clarify a little (mostly because of personal hair loss in the past), windows uses back slashes (\), not forward slashes (/). so to get somewhere you'd type something like
cd c:\path\to\another\directoryor if there are any spaces
cd "c:\path\to\a dir\that has\spaces"and of course there's no rule that says you have to navigate to a subfolder in one shot! feel free to use something like
cd path
cd to
cd another
cd directory
and if it any directories have spaces in their names, remember to use quotes
cd path
cd to
cd "a dir"
cd "that has"
cd spaces

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Making command-line work
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:32:55 AM »
Greg,

You might find it easier to use the Javascript/HTML version off-line. Simply download it from here, expand the zip archive anywhere on your hard drive, then double-click the file passwordmaker.html.

Regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:33:51 AM by Eric H. Jung »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Making command-line work
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 03:38:57 AM »
He stated that his browser is slow, which is the reason for using the command-line version. And something tells me the computer he's doing this on, he has the Firefox extension installed anyway. Maybe not (and the reason he included his internet being slow).

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Making command-line work
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »
Quote from: greg
Alright, I'm not quite sure where a command line prompt is.  I have windows Xp, and i can open up the dos window, but by default it is in the wrong folder and i don't know the commands to change that.
I also can use the "run" in windows, and i typed in the "program location" -h, and the dos window opened up, with what seemed to be lots of writing, but closed in less than a blink of the eye...?  
And yes, I am very excited to use this version, thanks so much for helping create it (I believe, if I've done my research correctly)
This is a very useful toy for opening a Command Prompt window in the target directory.

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Making command-line work
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:09:36 PM »
He stated that his browser is slow
Even when off-line? I don't get it.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Making command-line work
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 07:27:32 PM »
My Firefox at work can be really slow that it bugs me alot. And this computer at work has more RAM than my computer at home (which is REALLY sad considering my computer at home is faster overall, outside of internet connection )

Offline lordgreggreg

Making command-line work
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 07:40:38 PM »
Yeah... my firefox can get really slow sometimes.  Mainly when I am just loading it up, not when navigating with it open.  So if I am trying to log into say.. yahoo IM.  I don't want to have to wait for firefox to load, and then for me to generate my password.  The .exe version loads much faster.  Btw, would you guys like some help creating a gui for it?
GregHendrickson

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Making command-line work
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »
Btw, would you guys like some help creating a gui for it?
Would LOVE help with that. What's your experience?

Offline lordgreggreg

Making command-line work
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 08:09:06 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Would LOVE help with that. What's your experience?
Java for the most part, (er, all part, sorry)  But I love making GUI interfaces, and I can work well with object oriented programing, so I can easily make a program to input all the variables and send them to. well, whatever ever you use to do the math stuff.  I would really like to say that I could do it all myself, but I have to be honest in that I really don't know how to make anything I make in java communicate with a command line program.  You would have to make it into a method, or object, and then it would be a piece of cake.  Hmm, but then we would have to figure a way to convert a .class to a .exe, and I don't know that either .
GregHendrickson

Offline lordgreggreg

Making command-line work
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
ok, did some research.  http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jet.html
there are tons of compilers that can fix the .class to .exe problem.
GregHendrickson

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Making command-line work
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »
Eric was working a java class for the 'math stuff' as you put it. Not sure how far he got with that though.

Also, I tried to design the actual generating code to be separate from the interface code so that if we get a GUI designer (for C++ at least), they just make the GUI and call one function with the needed parameters to make the password.

PasswordMaker Forums

Making command-line work
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »