Author Topic: 1.5 bug wrt Coolkey and Populate (via right-click)  (Read 15266 times)

Offline RotiJohn

1.5 bug wrt Coolkey and Populate (via right-click)
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:21:45 PM »
Using PWD 1.5 under Firefox 1.5. Just discovered that Coolkey and "Populate with Passwordmaker" only populate the Username field but not the password field. However, if Auto-populate is ON, both fields are correctly populated.

Have reported this on IRC.

Regards.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 09:40:18 PM »
Thanks. Investingating...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:15:19 AM »
Both Coolkey and Alt-` worked fine for me (populated both username and password with auto-populate disabled) on the two sites I tested...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 03:48:17 AM »
Thanks, tanstaafl.

I have identified the problem encountered by Romeo and have fixed it. I'll be releasing 1.5.1 beta1 tomorrow (Saturday). Unfortunately, RJohn didn't supply enough info here for me to test the problem he encountered...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 03:49:29 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline RotiJohn

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 04:51:39 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Thanks, tanstaafl.

I have identified the problem encountered by Romeo and have fixed it. I'll be releasing 1.5.1 beta1 tomorrow (Saturday). Unfortunately, RJohn didn't supply enough info here for me to test the problem he encountered...

Eric, what would you like me to furnish? It's as I described. When I position my cursor in the Username or Password field and use Right-Click to invoke "Coolkey" or "Populate with PWD", only the Username field gets populated and not the password field. This is using a Custom Account.

Windows XP Pro SP2 running Firefox 1.5.0.1

Let me know if there's anything else I should supply.

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 06:15:08 AM by RJohn »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
Eric, what would you like to me furnish?
URL, please.  

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 02:07:28 PM »
Hi RJohn,

Please give 1.5.1 beta1 a try. Problems should be fixed... let me know if it works for you, please.

-Eric
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 02:13:55 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline RotiJohn

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 08:52:46 AM »
Hi RJohn,

Please give 1.5.1 beta1 a try. Problems should be fixed... let me know if it works for you, please.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I've just installed 1.5.1 beta2. It seems to have fixed the problem.  However, I just want to confirm the following is the intended behaviour:

1. When I use Coolkey (either through Alt-` or via Right-click), both Username and Password fields will be populated. However,

2. When I use "Populate with Passwordmaker" via Right-click, ONLY the field in which the cursor lies will be populated. That is, if my cursor is in the Username field, "Populate with PWD" will only populate that field. I need to click in Password field and "Populate with PWD" again to get the password filled. Is this correct behaviour?

Regarding your query about which URLs were giving me problems: this problem affected ALL sites I was registered with, including this PWD forum itself. Another one would be http://www.mozillazine.org.

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 05:43:45 PM by RJohn »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 02:14:50 PM »
Hi Roti,

When I use "Populate with Passwordmaker" via Right-click, ONLY the field in which the cursor lies will be populated. That is, if my cursor is in the Username field, "Populate with PWD" will only populate that field. I need to go to click in Password field and "Populate with PWD" again to get the password filled. Is this correct behaviour?
It is for now. There is a feature request asking that behavior be changed to operate the way in which you describe (I think?) The more I think about it, though, isn't that what CoolKey is for? Why would you use "Populate with Passwordmaker" on a single-field when you could choose CoolKey? If I change the behavior of "Populate with Passwordmaker", then there's no option to populate single fields anymore... right?

Offline RotiJohn

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 02:04:09 AM »
Hi Roti,

It is for now. There is a feature request asking that behavior be changed to operate the way in which you describe (I think?) The more I think about it, though, isn't that what CoolKey is for? Why would you use "Populate with Passwordmaker" on a single-field when you could choose CoolKey? If I change the behavior of "Populate with Passwordmaker", then there's no option to populate single fields anymore... right?

Hi Eric,

Oh, I wasn't asking for a change in the way "Populate with Passwordmaker" works. I only wanted to confirm that it isn't a bug. It's working fine enough for my purposes. However, I wonder if it shouldn't make more sense to rename Coolkey to "Populate All" if that's what the user has assigned Coolkey to do? Also, perhaps rename "Populate with PWD" to "Populate this field with PWD" would make it clearer to the user?

Regards.

John

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 03:55:37 AM »
I wonder if it shouldn't make more sense to rename Coolkey to "Populate All" if that's what the user has assigned Coolkey to do?
As you apparently know, CoolKey is user-definable. It would be difficult to rename CoolKey to any of the 3 possible user choices. I'd prefer to just keep it named "CoolKey".

Also, perhaps rename "Populate with PWD" to "Populate this field with PWD" would make it clearer to the user?
This is a great idea. I've made the change, and you'll see it in version 1.5.1.

Offline RotiJohn

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 04:28:32 AM »
This is a great idea. I've made the change, and you'll see it in version 1.5.1.

Do you think it's a good idea to make it less verbose by shortening "Populate this field with PasswordMaker" to "Populate this field" and "PasswordMaker Coolkey" to "Coolkey" since it's well-understood? I know this is purely an aesthetic issue. Just thinking out loud.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 04:37:23 AM »
Do you think it's a good idea to make it less verbose by shortening "Populate this field with PasswordMaker" to "Populate this field" and "PasswordMaker Coolkey" to "Coolkey" since it's well-understood? I know this is purely an aesthetic issue. Just thinking out loud.
Yep. Completely agree. Changes made... thanks for the idea.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 04:37:23 AM »