Author Topic: PasswordMaker migrates to SourceForge!  (Read 5681 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker migrates to SourceForge!
« on: February 25, 2006, 09:40:20 PM »
Hi,

I wanted to let everyone know that we've successfully made the move from fee-based ASO hosting to free hosting sponsored by SourceForge.

This migration has the following advantages:
  • Reduction of costs to maintain the PasswordMaker project.
  • Longevity of the PasswordMaker project. If I get hit by a truck, the project won't die because I'm not around to pay hosting fees.
  • Easy access for multiple developers. Our previous host (ASO), like most commercial hosting ventures, only permit one shell account. This meant limited ability to maintain the site and source code since I only had access to the shell account. With SourceForge, there are other developers involved who have administrative rights to Subversion, the website, and shell accounts.
  • Automated backups of the website and associated databases --something we didn't have on ASO.
  • Consolidation of source code. Before SourceForge, PasswordMaker source code existed in two different CVS repositories (travisbsd.org and mozdev.org). Now all code will be centrally managed by Subversion on SourceForge
  • A web-based interface to browse all source code online! Note it's currently empty until source code migration is complete.
Please let me know if you find any broken links or other website errors during this time of transition.

Thank you,
Eric
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:42:10 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline morguns

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:17:10 AM »
wow, the change has more advantages than i was aware of. nicely done eric :)

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 02:50:55 AM »
Is it just me, or did some forum images disappear? I followed a link and got the 404 page.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 03:05:35 AM »
is it just me, or did some forum images disappear
It's not just you. Looks like the /forums directory was deleted. Whoever deleted it, please let it be! It has all the images for the forums.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:24:05 AM by Eric H. Jung »

LkonKbd

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 08:35:05 PM »
"SirEric,"

Great move and IT WAS NOT ME, I do not know enough to even delete info from my own CPU.  BAG!!  Just kidding, it still was not me.  I look forward to the improvements and also sure you will look forward to some relief.  Yet you are into this PROGRAMMING thingy enough you probably do not want one.  Take advantage of if and have a breather, after the move is done.

Will any of your webpage addys change?

LkonKbd

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »
"SirEric,"

The link SourceForge you provided gives your webpage, but; the top four (4) menu selections do not take you any where.  Just checked and the Manual link is not working either.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 08:45:12 PM by LkonKbd »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:44:07 PM »
There's an added passwordmaker.sourceforge.net address, but no, none of the addresses will change.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »
In case the http://passwordmaker.org domain ever fails to be renewed, http://passwordmaker.sourceforge.net will always work.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »