Author Topic: settings stored in cookies  (Read 8320 times)

Offline morguns

settings stored in cookies
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:10:28 AM »
here are a couple more thoughts regarding the 'settings stored in cookies' topic. to begin, a little context might be helpful. for best security, no settings would be stored in a cookie, but that brings the convenience factor way down. at the same time, having all settings stored in a cookie by default would not be attractive to the security centric folks.

the $64 question then becomes: how can we best compromise between security and convenience to please most folks most of the time?

one line of thought goes something like this: allow a user to select which individual settings they want to have stored in a cookie (i'm thinking a checkbox for each setting). if implemented, one could choose as many or as few options to save based on their personal preferences.

then to take it to the next level, how about letting a user store multiple custom sets of preferences (i'll refer to them as 'preference sets'). eg. one 'preference set' could save all preferences, another 'preference set' could specify l33t, hash and characters, and a third 'preference set' might save everything except three or four fields.

i have no idea how easy/difficult this (these?) would be to implement. if it's more towards the difficult end of the spectrum then we can file it in the 'The Supremely Difficult Features' category or just fuhgeddaboudit. if it's closer to the 'easy' end, then let's open it up for discussion. opinions?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:46:16 AM »
one line of thought goes something like this: allow a user to select which individual settings they want to have stored in a cookie (i'm thinking a checkbox for each setting). if implemented, one could choose as many or as few options to save based on their personal preferences.
Yes, this is what I was planning.

then to take it to the next level, how about letting a user store multiple custom sets of preferences (i'll refer to them as 'preference sets'). eg. one 'preference set' could save all preferences, another 'preference set' could specify l33t, hash and characters, and a third 'preference set' might save everything except three or four fields.
This is an excellent idea, but I think a slightly different approach might be even better. A preference set, as you call it, is really just the same as "account setting" in PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla, no? If so, we should store each set as an account (and each in their own cookie, perhaps, for easy management/deletion).

btw, I split this into a separate topic so the discussion doesn't convolute the feature request list.

Offline morguns

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
This is an excellent idea, but I think a slightly different approach might be even better. A preference set, as you call it, is really just the same as "account setting" in PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla, no? If so, we should store each set as an account (and each in their own cookie, perhaps, for easy management/deletion).
yeah, you understand what i was getting at better than i do :) thx eric.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »
OK, can you add "Support for multiple accounts/settings" to the FRL (pointing to this thread) and add your vote to it?

Offline morguns

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:58 PM »
OK, can you add "Support for multiple accounts/settings" to the FRL (pointing to this thread) and add your vote to it?
done!

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:58 PM »