Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.5 beta 2 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 16395 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.5 beta 2 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:44:38 AM »
Hi,

PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock version 1.5 beta 2 has been released and is available here. Please let me know your experience with it so if I know it's production-quality or not.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:55:25 PM »
Wow! LOTS of cool new toys! After checking, it looks like another FR never made it to the list, because I know a lot of people were waiting for the ability to populate any field, but its not on the list... oh well, doesn't matter, since it is now done

Thanks Eric! You da man...

Dang email notification is still on the fritz though - unless this forum doesn't send them.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »
Hi Eric,

Ok, some observations...

In general:
  • I like the alternating colors of the items in the list, but when I click on one that is the slightly darker color, I cannot read the text in the item anymore - can you either make the background go dark, or make the text black?
  • Visual feedback when dragging/dropping would be nice (I know you said that more drag/drop improvements were on the way, so I probably didn't even need to mention this) - some kind of indicator as to where the item will go when the mouse button is released, make the Group name go dark if it is going to go inside one, etc.
  • I'm really glad to see 'auto-populate URL fields when creating new accounts' is implemented, but, I'd prefer that when the URLs get auto-populated when creating an Account, the 'Use this URL' NOT be the full URL, but just the stripped down root domain (ie, instead of 'http://www.domain.com', just 'domain.com'). I like the 'When URL Contains' to be the full URL though.
Settings Upload/Download:

(I didn't know that the FTP upload was supposed to be working - I thought you had said to ignore the tab, so I hadn't even tried it yet)
  • I don't like the way the Remote Computers are handled... I don't see any need for 'Groups', like we have for the Password Accounts, this just complicates things. I'd prefer a simpler interface - more like the way the newer FireFTP does it (tabbed pop-up Account Settings window). If you don't have FireFTP, and don't want to install it to see what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll provide more explanation.
  • Since it is planned (I believe) to support different remote server protocols (FTP, WebDAV, etc) I think it would make sense to have a 'Type' selector when defining a Remote Site, that causes different options to be offered depending on the type (FTP, WebDAV, etc). This way, if it is an ftp site, we would be proferred the normal 'host' & 'port' options, instead of a URL.
  • I haven't been able to get this to work with my FTP site, probably because I'm not putting the hostname in right. All I'm used to doing is specifying host=domain.tld, port=21, then the username/pass of course.
Many thanks for all your hard work!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
Dang email notification is still on the fritz though - unless this forum doesn't send them
It's supposed to work if you're subscribed. InvisionFree (the free host of the forums) is really flaky about emails. I was waiting for quixin to finish skinning the new forums before making the switch, but I think we should just switch now anyway. The new forums even have RSS feeds! And we won't lose any messages if I do it right...

I like the alternating colors of the items in the list, but when I click on one that is the slightly darker color, I cannot read the text in the item anymore - can you either make the background go dark, or make the text black?
This was a mistake not intended to be released. I'll remove it, but if you really want it I can fix it. The problem is it probably won't look right with some themes, so I'd rather leave it all white.

Visual feedback when dragging/dropping would be nice
You got it.

I'd prefer that when the URLs get auto-populated when creating an Account, the 'Use this URL' NOT be the full URL, but just the stripped down root domain
OK, but can you add this to the FRL so I don't lose track of it? I probably won't be able to do it right away for 1.5.

I didn't know that the FTP upload was supposed to be working - I thought you had said to ignore the tab, so I hadn't even tried it yet
I did say that for the 1.3.x betas. But it's been working since 1.4. See release notes here.

I'd prefer a simpler interface - more like the way the newer FireFTP does it
I'll take a look at FireFTP. I introduced groups because I thought it would be consistent with the way Accounts and Special Domains work. FWIW, FileZilla and some other desktop FTP clients permit the use of folders/groups. Here's an example.

Since it is planned (I believe) to support different remote server protocols (FTP, WebDAV, etc)
Actually, they're already supported, but the fact that you can't tell that clearly shows me the GUI needs to change :)

I haven't been able to get this to work with my FTP site, probably because I'm not putting the hostname in right.
Right. Again, the UI apparently must change. Can you put this in the FRL (it can be something vague like "Make the Remote Computers interface easier". To get it to work, enter full URL to the file to upload/download in the URL field. For example:
  • FTP:  ftp://host.com/path1/path2/passwordmaker.rdf
  • WebDAV: http(s)://host.com/path1/path2/passwordmaker.rdf and check the WebDAV checkbox
  • HTTP(S): http(s)://host.com/path1/path2/passwordmaker.rdf and don't check the WebDAV checkbox. Note that only download is supported with HTTP(S), not upload.

Offline major4579

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 05:11:43 PM »
Eric,

I too cannot see the text when I've selected a colored band in the accounts.

More importantly, the problem I discussed with 1.5.b1 regarding multiple accounts in Yahoo is still there. To recap I have 2 Yahoo mail accounts and the settings for both are the same:

When Url Contains: yahoo.com
Use this Url: yahoo.com
Auto-populate is checked
No custom auto-populate fields

On EVERY yahoo.com webpage PWM pops-up the "Choose Account" window. This behavior is different from 1.4.4 and earlier where the "Choose Account"  only popped up on the logon page. The settings were not touched between the two versions.

Thanks,
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »
Hi,

I too cannot see the text when I've selected a colored band in the accounts.
Fixed. It will be in beta3.

More importantly, the problem I discussed with 1.5.b1 regarding multiple accounts in Yahoo is still there.
Thanks for the clarification. I've reproduced this and am working on it.

beta3 -- let's hope the its the last beta for 1.5 -- should be out this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:26:20 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 07:50:40 PM »
I just installed it.  The first thing I checked, of course, was the <ALT>` feature.  I am sorry to report that neither that feature, nor the cool key password population feature work.

Call me weird, but I much prefer using <ALT>` to the autopopulate feature.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:02:46 PM »
Damn. This release is really difficult for me. As I wrote before, I had to rewrite a lot of the underpinnings to get auto-populate to work.

LkonKbd

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 09:55:34 PM »
"SirEric,"

Just to give you some more to check into or maybe attempt to FIX?  Not really, I loaded PWM v1.5ßeta1 and PWM shows v1.5ßeta1 when clicking on HELP/About.  Under Tools, Extensions is shown as v1.4.3?  That is very strange.

My Alt+` for autopopulate from the KeyBoard works just fine plus the GoldKey works GREAT as well.  I am about to close FF to load the latest version of PWM v1.5ßeta2.  

Thank you for reading this one,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 10:09:14 PM »
Hi LkonKbd,

Just to give you some more to check into or maybe attempt to FIX? Not really, I loaded PWM v1.5ßeta1 and PWM shows v1.5ßeta1 when clicking on HELP/About. Under Tools, Extensions is shown as v1.4.3? That is very strange.
Yes, I'm aware of this. The version in Tools->Extensions doesn't change for betas...just final releases. The About Box is more accurate.

My Alt+` for autopopulate from the KeyBoard works just fine plus the GoldKey works GREAT as well. I am about to close FF to load the latest version of PWM v1.5ßeta2.
That is good to know. Thank you :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 10:09:26 PM by Eric H. Jung »

LkonKbd

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 10:14:22 PM »
"SirEric,"

As mentioned in my previous message, http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...dpost&p=1195620
"PWM v1.5ßeta1 and PWM shows v1.5ßeta1 when clicking on HELP/About. Under Tools, Extensions is shown as v1.4.3?"  Can now have v1.5ßeta2 placed where the "ßeat1" is and still shown as v1.4.3 under the Tools/Extensions from the MenuBar.  

Thank you for reading this, if it is too confusing just ask,

P.S. Forgot to mention about the "Choose Account" popup when changing pages is still happening.  The difficulties with the 'ColorBands' is not a problem for me as I use the 'Default' Skin, cannot get too fancy with my system as it is slow enough with out all of that.

again thankyou for reading this,
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 10:18:47 PM by LkonKbd »

Offline morguns

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 06:16:20 AM »
i'm in the middle of rebuilding ye old pc, but have firefox installed and 1.5b1. haven't had too much time to play with it, but the alt-` isn't working for me either. i completely dig the drag and drop! way cool. i'll try to play with it more over the weekend.

Offline morguns

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »
woops!! make that 1.5b2.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 11:02:28 PM »
I just installed it. The first thing I checked, of course, was the <ALT>` feature. I am sorry to report that neither that feature, nor the cool key password population feature work.

haven't had too much time to play with it, but the alt-` isn't working for me either
I cannot reproduced this with 1.5 beta2. Can you guys give me the settings, website, etc. where I can reproduce it?

edit: For testing, I've been using Yahoo! Mail, http://mailbolt.com, and this custom page.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:06:04 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline morguns

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 12:33:27 AM »
i am using firefox 1.5.0.1 (just updated from firefox 1.5 while writing this). the following extensions are installed: dom inspector 1.8, passwordmaker 1.4.3 (it's the beta of course), tab mix plus 0.3.0.2, and flashblock 1.5.1. system is win xp pro sp2.

the alt-` does not work at gmail.com. i have multiple accounts, and when i hit alt-`, the popup displays the accounts i can choose from. neither double clicking or highlighting and then clicking 'ok' populates the username and/or password fields.

each of the gmail accounts has its own settings (not default). no special fields are specified (no prefix, suffix, modifier, etc.) let me know if i can be more specific.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 12:33:27 AM »