Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.5 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 13610 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.5 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 04:07:19 PM »
I just logged into Yahoo mail, I actually have 2 accounts and PWM shows me the "Choose Account" window at login. Now, after installing 1.5.b1, the "Choose Account" window pops up on every Yahoo page. It did not do this in previous versions.
I'm trying to reproduce this. Can you tell me the settings for the two accounts: When URL Contains, Use this URL, is automatically populate username and password fields checked?, and whether or not you have custom auto-populate fields defined for each account.

LkonKbd, thanks for the feedback.

I guess that the question becomes, what is the primary purpose of this feature. I don't see it being a substitue for Mozilla's Form Manager (which, aside form the editing problems, works very well for me). I saw it as a way to deal with those problem login pages.
It is both. Mozilla's form manager doesn't work across PCs (i.e., you have to continue to enter the data for each profile on each PC). It's also necessary as a prerequisite to the auto-submit feature because Mozilla's form manager won't auto-populate until you start typing in the field.

Seamonkey 1.0 is basically Mozilla 1.8beta cleaned up..
Yes, it is the Mozilla 1.8 codebase.

I know this is the way Firefox was designed but when I'm supporting 50 plus users I prefer a standard setup and quick install (one program).
There are a lot of tools like this one which make management of many Firefox extensions rather easy. You can roll all the extensions you like into one to make deployment really simple.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 04:13:51 PM »
What you're really saying is that the notification means: that PMW cannot FIND the specified field.
Good point. I've changed the text from Notify me when this field can't be auto-populated to Notify me when this field isn't found.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:14:14 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
I'm trying to reproduce this. Can you tell me the settings for the two accounts: When URL Contains, Use this URL, is automatically populate username and password fields checked?, and whether or not you have custom auto-populate fields defined for each account.
Nevermind, I've reproduced it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:30:19 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline major4579

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
Eric,

It looks like you found the settings but here they are anyway:

I have 2 yahoo mail accounts:

When URL Contains & Use this URL both contain the same : "yahoo.com"
Autopopulate is checked
No Custom Auto-populate fields

I didn't make any changes to these accounts betwwen v1.4.4.b1 and 1.5.b1

Setting it up this way, means this PWM account also works for logging into Yahoo Groups (hence the url specified is only "yahoo.com", not "mail.yahoo.com").

I guess that the question becomes, what is the primary purpose of this feature. I don't see it being a substitue for Mozilla's Form Manager (which, aside form the editing problems, works very well for me). I saw it as a way to deal with those problem login pages.
It is both. Mozilla's form manager doesn't work across PCs (i.e., you have to continue to enter the data for each profile on each PC). It's also necessary as a prerequisite to the auto-submit feature because Mozilla's form manager won't auto-populate until you start typing in the field.

I do not know where the Form Manager info is stored so I don't know about moving between computers. But you are thinking about Auto-complete not Form Manager.

Form manager is more sophisticated. I can go to a site with a number of fields, click on Fill-in form and a window pops up with all the fields that Mozilla recognized with the data I had previously saved. Each field has a drop down menu to show me all the different data I have used to fill in that field. I then click on OK and the data is transferred to the web form. Note that when I manualy fill in a web form, Mozilla asks me if I want to save the info or not. This is not an extension, it is part of Mozilla. (Go to Tools, Form Manager in Mozilla). I can also specify sites were Mozilla will never ask about saving data, and sites were Mozilla automatic fills in without asking me.

The main advantage of this is that the info is not tied to a site, like the default username and password in PWM. PWM has a limited number of fieldnames it checks for; you're adding the ability to add more field names by site (I didn't check, can we also add field names to the default account?). Mozilla is trained everytime I say remember the filled in values and (1) it remembers all the fields/values on a page with a single click; and (2), unless I tell it otherwise, checks for all the learned fieldnames on whatever web page I'm in when I activate the Field Fill-in.

So here is another example of not needing an extension do something in Mozilla where I would need an extension to do this in Firefox.

I know this is the way Firefox was designed but when I'm supporting 50 plus users I prefer a standard setup and quick install (one program).
There are a lot of tools like this one which make management of many Firefox extensions rather easy. You can roll all the extensions you like into one to make deployment really simple.

Looks interesting, I will, at least re-install Firefox and see if I can get it to work the way Mozilla does for me.
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline Romeo

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 08:00:39 PM »
Hi there,

I just installed PWM 1.5 beta 1 in a new profile.  So far, I have noticed one bug.  When I press <ALT>` to populate the username and password, nothing happened.  I also tried the Coolkey and nothing happened.  Only when I enable auto-populate for the site(s) in question, do those fields seem to get populated.

Romeo
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 04:42:17 AM »
Thanks, beta2 should fix that.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 04:42:17 AM »