Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.5 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 13607 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.5 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:21:59 AM »
Hi,

PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock version 1.5 beta 1 has been released and is available here. A lot of the underpinnings of PasswordMaker have changed in this release to support arbitrary field population, so please please please test it as much as you can. Test especially the features you may not use regularly. I've done days of testing and bug-slaying and need more eyes to take a look at it now.

Thank you!
Eric
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 04:22:33 AM by Eric H. Jung »

LkonKbd

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »
Eric,

He's back!!

Just downloaded the v1.5ßeta One to test 4 U.  Hope this is some assistance 4 U.

#1. After removing the v1.4.3 that was on this system and then downloading the latest  test version and installing.  Exited FF and investigated the 'TaskManager' which did show a version of FF still installed, without any Icons displayed.  This is due to using Profile Manager for FF, it maintains part of FF in memory so when you change profiles it will not take as long to re-establish the browser.

#2. Did not logout of PWM Forum so I would get back in withou any problems.  Well there is one, even though I am login automatic or RememberMe is checked PWM v1.5ßetaOne is still asking for my Password and to select the Profile to use because I have two different ones to use, but; already logged in.  Any time I change to another page in the forum it asks which profile to use.

That is just the first couple.  Will go to other sites to see what is happening.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 07:53:23 PM by LkonKbd »

LkonKbd

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 08:00:51 PM »
"Sir Eric,"

Even though I did logout and login again the selection for which Profile to use is still opening when changing to another page within this forum.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »
Hi LkonKbd,

Very strange. I will look into that.

Thanks,
Eric

LkonKbd

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »
"SirEric,"

Did the logout thingy to use my alter whatever, and it will not allow me in using NativeTexan.  The password is not being recognized or maybe my username is not working for that access.

Offline quixin

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:17:28 PM »
After unistalling the old version and then installing the beta, the CoolKey seems to be broken for me.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:24:59 AM »
After unistalling the old version and then installing the beta, the CoolKey seems to be broken for me
Can you give some more detail? What setting do you have CoolKet set to? Are you invoking it with the shortcut key or right-click context-menu? What website(s)? What kind of fields (username, password, other, all?)

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »
Nothing get auto populated, setting is at Populate Empty fields only, it did work with 1.4.3 though.

[edit] Forgot about the menu option, so I didn't test that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 02:17:13 AM by miquelfire »
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 02:39:21 AM »
Thanks. Looks like this is caused by a last minute enhancement I threw in which deletes sensitive memory (passwords and master passwords) more properly than previous releases. I'm working on fixing it...should have beta2 shortly.

LkonKbd

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 03:09:38 AM »
Hi LkonKbd,

Very strange. I will look into that.

Thanks,
Eric
"SirEric,"

I use the Tab open for any selections, middle click on a link and the tab is opened for that link.  Even logged in it still asks for me to select the profile to use, I just click on 'Cancel'.  I did click on the other profile and nothing happened plus clicked on the profile I am using and still nothing changed, I thought it may stop opening the select profile, but; it did not help.

When I post a reply or start a new topic even editing a post, such as this the Select Profile still opens just as though I had not logged in yet.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:11:32 AM by LkonKbd »

Offline major4579

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
Eric,

So far, 2 issues with 1.5.b1

1) As mentioned previously CoolKey (at least the Button) is not working completely, whereas the auto-populate and select from multuiple accounts are working. For example, I went to www.bidnip.com (which has a separate account and is set to auto-populate). The login page pops up and Username & Password are auto-populated correctly. Now if I clear the 2 fields and hit the CoolKey, only the Username gets filled in, the Password field is left blank. If I Reload the page, the auto-populate takes over and fills in both fields correctly.

2) I used the new Auto-Populate by field name feature for the site (podiobooks.com) I had previously had problems with. I like the way it works - I manually filled in the Username field (that's the one that PWM was not finding). And PWM picked it up and I was able to ADD it to the field list without any problems. Reloaded the site and everything worked greated. Logged into the site and I got a notification from PMW that it couldn't fill-in the field. Every page that I went to at podiobooks.com caused PWM to generate the same message.

So I went into PWM's settings for the Podiobooks account and tried to turn off "Notify me when this field can't be auto-populated". There's no way to edit a setting, I had to delete it and re-create it, this time remembering to uncheck the notify field.

So 2 options: (a) the Notify field showed be unchecked as a default and/or (B) the Notification should only pop-up if the field itself is present on the page, right now it appears to pop up on every webpage with the specific URL were the field does NOT exist.

Otherwise (after ony a short testing time) everything else seems to work fine.
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:52:54 PM »
LkonKbd,

What do you mean by "profile"? Do you mean the "Choose Account" dialog?

major4579,
Thanks. CoolKey is fixed and will be in the next beta (tonight?). I will change "field notification" to off by default.

right now it appears to pop up on every webpage with the specific URL were the field does NOT exist.
Right, that's the intention. It's alerting you of a problem. To reverse the behavior (alert when there's not a problem) would be annoying, I think. Moreover, you already get the "not a problem" feedback when the ring in the status bar turns gold. You can limit the frequency of this alert by narrowing the scope of When URL Contains. Don't forget, you can always create another account with a different When URL Contains which only has "other fields" (not username/password).

BTW John, I'm glad to have you as a Mozilla user -- I don't do nearly as much testing in Moz as I do in FF. By the way, why do you use Mozilla still?

Has anyone tried "other fields" with the TurboTax online site?

Offline major4579

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 09:13:28 PM »
Eric,

right now it appears to pop up on every webpage with the specific URL were the field does NOT exist.
Right, that's the intention. It's alerting you of a problem.

Maybe it's the wording. "Notify me when this field can't be auto-populated" implies (to me at least) that PWM will notify me when the specified field exists on the page but PMW could not auto-populate it.

What you're really saying is that the notification means: that PMW cannot FIND the specified field. There are 2 cases where this could be true (as far as I can see): (1) what I was originally complaining about, i.e., the URL matches but I'm not on the logon page; or (2), for whatever reason, the name/id of the specified field has been changed.

I guess that the question becomes, what is the primary purpose of this feature. I don't see it being a substitue for Mozilla's Form Manager (which, aside form the editing problems, works very well for me). I saw it as a way to deal with those problem login pages.

I do need to play more with the "When URL contains" as I've only been entering the same URL in both "when URL contains" and "use this URL" fields...

As for Mozilla, I use it because I like the Suite approach and I install if for a lot of my clients who need both a safe browser and a POP3 email client. I have not tried Thunderbird but with Firefox I found that I needed to add a lot of extensions to get the functionality that comes with Mozilla. I know this is the way Firefox was designed but when I'm supporting 50 plus users I prefer a standard setup and quick install (one program). Firefox/Thunderbird is great for the knowledgable individual users but in a business environment that isn't using Exchange, a single-product integrated-suite is a much better fit.

I know that I'm fighting the inevitable but I'm still pretty pleased with Mozilla. I am looking at Seamonkey (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/) - according to the website, Seamonkey 1.0 is basically Mozilla 1.8beta cleaned up. If Seamonkey doesn't pan out I will have to eventually go to Firefox.
-John

Offline major4579

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 11:25:38 PM »
Actually I talked too soon.

I just logged into Yahoo mail, I actually have 2 accounts and PWM shows me the "Choose Account" window at login.  Now, after installing 1.5.b1, the "Choose Account" window pops up on every Yahoo page. It did not do this in previous versions.

I cannot use the "when URL contains" because the URL of the logon screen is "http://mail.yahoo.com/" which is also part of the url of the email pages.

This is not happening with my online banking where I also have multiple accounts. But it is happening at another secure site where I have multiple accounts.

It almost seems that if there is ANY form field on a page then it triggers the "Choose Account" window.

Eric, this is a major pita!!! That's why it's called a beta!
-John

LkonKbd

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 01:40:01 AM »
"Eric,"

Quoted from Eric:
LkonKbd,

What do you mean by "profile"? Do you mean the "Choose Account" dialog?

Reference message:
http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...dpost&p=1186333

Yes SirEric, you are more correct than I, as usual.  "Choose Account" is the one.  Have noted the General "major4579" has the same problem with his account on Yahoo.  Discribing the same activity.

Also have updated my Sig for FF and PWM.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 02:42:43 AM by LkonKbd »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 01:40:01 AM »