Author Topic: rdf file location and online version  (Read 10483 times)

Offline morguns

rdf file location and online version
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:41:06 PM »
i ran across this little project a few days ago, and must say it's impressive. kudos to everyone involved. experimenting with pwm has been both fun and frustrating. no worries though: i get three more chances to access my bank account tomorrow :)

i've spent quite a bit of time reading the manual, faq, and of course these forums, and would like to contribute $0.02.

there are several threads regarding sync'ing and/or ftp support. however, i didn't see any references to having the rdf file saved to a remote location _instead of_ a local hard drive. iow, have only one rdf file and have it located on a remote server.

picture this: i use pwm on my personal laptop (which dual boots win/linux), home desktop computer (also dual booting win/linux), family computer (which is setup for mom, dad, and 2.8 kids), work desktop, work laptop, blackberry, etc. wouldn't it be nice to have just one rdf file on a remote server instead of having 2, 3, 5, 10 or who knows how many different rdf files and trying to keep them sync'd?

regarding the online version, one or more people mentioned having control over what preferences are stored in the cookie. i agree this is important. a lot of the security comes from the different options selected when generating a password. having the leet level (if any), hash algorithm, password length, etc saved in a cookie would be _very_ bad if one is on a public computer. and the online version is probably being used _because_ one is using a public computer or at least a computer that isn't theirs.

it would also be nice to mask the generated password when using the online version. if you're using the online version there's a good chance someone will be looking over your shoulder. wouldn't want to give them a free peek at your online banking password (even if it's wrong and you're just trying to guess it :)

thanks for a great concept and its implementation.

....steve

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:20:14 AM »
Hello Steve,

Welcome to the land of PasswordMaker. We're glad you made it  :D

there are several threads regarding sync'ing and/or ftp support. however, i didn't see any references to having the rdf file saved to a remote location _instead of_ a local hard drive. iow, have only one rdf file and have it located on a remote server
This is most excellent idea. Tyrantmizar/tanstaafl, can you add this to the feature request list and apply one vote to it from morguns? Thank you in advance.

regarding the online version, one or more people mentioned having control over what preferences are stored in the cookie.
This is now on the high-priority list and is on its way. Thanks for voicing your concerns because they previously weren't voiced this lucidly.

it would also be nice to mask the generated password when using the online version. if you're using the online version there's a good chance someone will be looking over your shoulder
I like this idea, but how would one access the password? It can be copied to the clipboard and instead place **** in the display, but the code to do that is very browser-specific. In other words, we could get it to work with IE, Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape, but Opera and other browsers might be out-of-luck. Is that acceptable?

Regards,
Eric

Offline morguns

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 01:13:11 AM »
This is most excellent idea. Tyrantmizar/tanstaafl, can you add this to the feature request list and apply one vote to it from morguns? Thank you in advance.
thanks! i was afraid it had already been suggested but i'd missed it.

This is now on the high-priority list and is on its way. Thanks for voicing your concerns because they previously weren't voiced this lucidly.
this is good to hear. thx for the lucidly comment, i don't get that too often :)

... the code to do that is very browser-specific. In other words, we could get it to work with IE, Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape, but Opera and other browsers might be out-of-luck. Is that acceptable?
you're bound to incur the wrath of many if you implement a feature that doesn't work across the board. rather than put the project in that situation, i'd prefer to leave things as they are. as a work-around, it's easy enough to resize the browser window so it can be scrolled, and then scroll the page up until the 'generated password' box is off the screen. then simply tab to the password field and cut (ctrl-x). no peeking from wandering eyes. low-tech still has it's uses.

regards,

....steve

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »
it's easy enough to resize the browser window so it can be scrolled, and then scroll the page up until the 'generated password' box is off the screen
...unless you're on a public internet terminal in kiosk mode, like the ones at airports. You can't resize the browser when it's in kiosk mode. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 02:02:41 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »
there are several threads regarding sync'ing and/or ftp support. however, i didn't see any references to having the rdf file saved to a remote location _instead of_ a local hard drive. iow, have only one rdf file and have it located on a remote server
Sure... done...

Added as "Store RDF File to Remote Location"

morguns, you have 4 more votes...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 06:03:55 PM »
One question on this FR...

What does 'Remote Location' include? FTP location? Network Share? Both?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 06:13:07 PM »
Both.

Offline morguns

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 12:07:06 AM »
...unless you're on a public internet terminal in kiosk mode, like the ones at airports. You can't resize the browser when it's in kiosk mode. Any other ideas?
another low-tech idea: how about setting the font and background colors the same?

thanks for adding the feature request. how do i vote exactly?

....steve

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:12:20 AM »
another low-tech idea: how about setting the font and background colors the same?
Yeah, I can add a checkbox for that. You'd check it before entering any settings. I wish we had a feature-request list for PasswordMaker Online. I can't keep track of all this...

thanks for adding the feature request. how do i vote exactly?
Just go to this thread and post a reply with your votes. The list of open feature requests in the first post in the thread.

-Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:12:20 AM »