Author Topic: forgot my master password! possible way out...  (Read 27267 times)

Offline ajw

forgot my master password! possible way out...
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:20 AM »
A few moments ago I realized I have forgotten my master password - a major no-no!

I checked my usual places for storing such confidential information (which is mostly migrating to PasswordMaker itself - I'm using it less as a *maker* and more of a place to store secure info...  with the nice ability to auto-populate web pages...)

Anyway, it's not there...

What if I forget my Master Password?
You're out of luck.

Uh-oh...

Fortunately, I'm lazy, so I've stored the master password both in memory and on disk - so I don't have to type it each time I use PasswordMaker (which is probably why I've forgotten it...  :)

But because of that, I can bring up PasswordMaker...

First thing I did was File|Export and saved everything (including the master password) as an RDF file.   Not sure if that's actually useful without the master password (will I need it to import on another computer?  probably...)

Then I did a File|Export and saved it as HTML.  Brought that HTML file up in FireFox and *bingo*!  There's the master password - unencrypted!

That's surely a security risk, so you don't want to keep that file around for long!  (and maybe even securely delete it...)

But I'm glad that option is there!  Otherwise I'd have to clear everything out, create a new master password, and import all my accounts.

- Al -

Offline Felipe

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 04:00:28 AM »
make your master PW your cats name - something easy like that. (If you don't have a cat, imagine that you did :D)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:24:57 PM »
Al, Al, Al. Tsk, tsk. Don't forget the ONE!

Then I did a File|Export and saved it as HTML. Brought that HTML file up in FireFox and *bingo*! There's the master password - unencrypted! That's surely a security risk, so you don't want to keep that file around for long! (and maybe even securely delete it...)
When exporting and printing, you are clearly prompted whether or not you want this sensitive information included:

...and yes, you could have used File->Print Settings to retrieve your master password, too.

-Eric

Offline ajw

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 08:02:29 AM »
Al, Al, Al. Tsk, tsk. Don't forget the ONE!
It's ok, I've changed it to "password" now so I won't forget it!  :)

(actually, when I saw what I had as the master, I hit my head and said "oh, yeah!  I remember why I chose that - 'cause I'd never forget it!  :)

When exporting and printing, you are clearly prompted whether or not you want this sensitive information included
Yup. and I was very glad I had the option to!

- Al -

LkonKbd

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:20:34 PM »
Greetings from LeonSprings,Texas USofA,

Your MasterPassWord should not be saved on your system, for security reasons and should be changed every 6 months or sooner, not really on a regular bases.  That is the main recommendation of security experts.  As a Retired System Manager for a Government Mini-MainFrame type system I had the responsibility of granting access to different areas of the system along with creating passwords.  I had approx. 18 different passwords for access just for myself and not any one was less than 16 characters.  They were not written down anywhere they were all in my head.  Now I have THE BEST PasswordMaker and KEEPER with only one password to keep me going.

Thank YOU, Eric, for having this system,

denario

Re: forgot my master password! possible way out...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »
make your master PW your cats name - something easy like that. (If you don't have a cat, imagine that you did :D)

PasswordMaker Forums

Re: forgot my master password! possible way out...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »