Author Topic: Same Password Generated With Different URLs  (Read 4237 times)

KriegeR

Same Password Generated With Different URLs
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:07:51 AM »
Hi there.

I have been using PasswordMaker on a single site up to now in order to evaluate how well it performs. I've been quite pleased with what it can do so far.

However I have now started to experiment with creating accounts within PasswordMaker for the different sites I use. This has led to the following problem.

I have created 3 accounts for different forums that I access. For some reason unbeknown to me, PasswordMaker generates exactly the same password for all 3 forums, despite them being on different URLs. My login for each forum is the same, but even with the different URLs, I am presented with exactly the same password for each forum.

Example of accounts below:

Account A : URL = www.accounta.com / Username = Me
Account B : URL = www.accountb.com/login.php / Username = Me
Account C : URL = www.accountc.net / Username = Me

I thought that the URL affected the outcome of the password generation but in this case it would appear that this is not so.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »
Hi KriegeR,

Welcome to the forums!

The only thing that comes to mind - there are two parts to the URL in the Account Settings...

The 'When URL Contains' field, and the 'Use This URL' field.

If you have all three 'Use This URL' fields set to the same thing for each account, then when PM generates the password, it is using the same URL *string*, even though the actual URL you are at is different.

What I generally do is put enough of the URL string to prevent phishing scams in the first, then just the base URL for the 'Use This URL' field. Example:

For the forums login here, I set them up as:

When URL Contains: //forums.passwordmaker.org/
Use This URL: passwordmaker.org

If this isn't your problem, then we'd need to know the actual URLs to try troubleshooting further...

Also - what version are you using and what version of FireFox?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »
Hi KriegeR,

Yes, be aware that only "Use This URL" affects password generation. "When URL Contains" does not affect password generation.

-Eric

Offline KriegeR

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
Thanks guys, that's sorted it!

I wasn't filling in the second URL portion, (as I didn't know that it was this part that acted towards the calculation).

I presume you could enter just about anything in this box to act as a 'key' in the password generation?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
Hi,

I presume you could enter just about anything in this box to act as a 'key' in the password generation?
That is correct. Its purpose is to allow you to be able to generate the same password for multiple websites. For instance, if you need the same password for both "gmail.com" and "google.com", you 'd create two accounts: one with "When URL Contains" set to "gmail.com" and another with "When URL Contains" set to "google.com". Both accounts would have "Use This URL" set to the same value; e.g., google.com or whatever you like.

Version 1.6 or 1.7 of PasswordMaker will allow you to enter multiple values for "When URL Contains" for each account so you don't have to create separate accounts just for this purpose.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »