Author Topic: "hide master password field (number of asterisks)"  (Read 20780 times)

Offline Felipe

"hide master password field (number of asterisks)"
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:06:23 AM »
the "hide master password field (number of asterisks)" becomes unchecked when I close PWM (but do not close FX).

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:28:22 AM »
Thanks Felipe. I'll get right on this.

-Eric

Offline Felipe

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:45:21 PM »
Eric -- this isn't much of an emergency, only a notification/slash/reminder. This bug is still present in 1.4.4 beta. It happens when I clear the masterPW with Ctrl Alt `. When I click CTRL `, the 'checkmark' is gone (unchecked). I wouldn't label this as a "priority" though..

(hope the above made sense)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:46:42 PM by Felipe »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »
Hi Felipe,

I did work on this for 1.4.4 beta1. The remaining behavior which you see is the way it is supposed to work. If you do not have a master password, the "Hide Master Password Field (number of asterisks" checkbox automatically unchecks itself because there is nothing to hide. Does that make sense?

-Eric

Offline Romeo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 03:04:46 AM »
Eric,

If you do not have a master password, the "Hide Master Password Field (number of asterisks" checkbox automatically unchecks itself because there is nothing to hide. Does that make sense?
In a way, that makes sense, but you would probably want to have it hidden again, when you re-enter the MPW.  So then, you would have to go back to the global settings and check it again, right?  To boot, you would have to remember to do that eaxh time.

Romeo
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 03:21:21 AM »
Hi Romeo. Good point, but how would you re-enter the MPW in the first place? If the MPW field is hidden, you have to first un-hide it to enter one...no? That means unchecking the checkbox, entering the MPW, then checking the checkbox.

Maybe there's an easier way to do this, and I'm just being dull, thick-headed. What am I missing?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 04:21:06 PM »
Bump. Anyone?

Offline Romeo

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 02:23:45 AM »
Eric,

Good point.  I hadn't thought about that.  How about this, however: When the hide MPW box is checked, it hides the stars (*), when there is one to hide.  However, when there is not one, it allows the user to enter one.

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 03:18:39 PM »
However, when there is not one, it allows the user to enter one.
How will it know when to begin hiding... after how many characters have been typed?

Offline Romeo

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 08:42:14 PM »
How will it know when to begin hiding...
I think when the MPW box looses focus might be a good time.  In other words, while you are typing the box has got to have focus.  Then, when you go on to something else, wouldn't it loose focus?  Or even, when PM looses focus, such as thitting <esc>, or giving focus to another window.

Oh no, I see a problem here.  What if a mail notification pops up.  It would loose focus.

I don't know.  Adding another button, such as 'enter MPW', or so, you are probably not inclined to do.

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 10:27:54 PM »
I don't know. Adding another button, such as 'enter MPW', or so, you are probably not inclined to do.
True. Seems like more work than unchecking the checkbox (the original user interface issue you were trying to get around). Absent another idea, I'm going to just leave it the way it is...

Offline Romeo

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 12:38:20 AM »
Eric,

That's just fine by me.  I don't and wasn't going to use it anyway.  I was just trying to help make PM more perfect than it already is.  But that seems virtually impossible.

Romeo

Offline Felipe

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 04:03:07 AM »
what about when the user has "hide master password field (number of asterisks)" enabled, it "always" hides it. When the user pressed cool key Alt+`, the user types in the new MasterPW and it saves it. the PWM doesn't need to display it at all.

Maybe I'm missing something...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 04:04:18 AM by Felipe »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 04:48:23 PM »
How would someone know to press Alt+`?

I'd appreciate comments from others on this topic.

Offline Felipe

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
what about when the user has "hide master password field (number of asterisks)" enabled, it "always" hides it. When the user pressed cool key Alt+`, the user types in the new MasterPW and it saves it. the PWM doesn't need to display it at all.

Maybe I'm missing something...
What I meant to say is, you can 'always' keep the master password hidden (# of ***). It never needs to be revealed. The user can enter in the M.PW when he auto-populates a field using r.click or using alt + '. This way, the user doesn't need to keep enabling "hide master p.w. (# of ***)". Don't mean to sound mean or anything -- but have I made it a little less muddy? The user doesn't have to enter the M.P.W. in the PWM control screen; s/he can enter it in when asked to after pressing alt + ` or using r.click context features. :D

--
Felipe

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »