Author Topic: Password held encrypted in memory . . .  (Read 16256 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Password held encrypted in memory . . .
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 12:23:05 AM »
Your terminology is very confusing...

1. You cannot simply copy a FireFox USer Profile from one computer to another and expect it to work - unless the UserName is *identical* on both computers. The reason for this is the paths that are hard-coded into the FireFox Profile (I *really* wish the FFox devs would use relative paths, but thats another issue entirely).

2. You cannot 'remove' the 'Defaults' Settings - nor can you 'place' a login for a specific account in the 'Defaults'.

You can *use* the 'Defaults' *Settings* for *accessing* an Account, but when moving from one computer to another, the same rule applies as for Custom Accounts... if you made any *changes* to the Defaults on the other computer, in order for PWM to be able to generate the same Passwords, you must adjust the 'Defaults' Settings to be *identical* with the ones that were used to initially generate the password.

If they are not working, then you are missing something in the Defaults settings - the username, the URL, the Character Set, the Hash algorithm - something.

Simply using the Defaults settings for one account/URL can not somehow 'interfere' with using it for another Account/URL.

The only thing that I can see that might be a cause is:

and have managed to tie my pofile in FF to her copy of FF, that is the same version1.5 along with PWM extension v1.4.4ßetaOne (this version was downloaded after the transfer of my H/D)
If you didn't copy the passwordmaker.rdf file from your old profile to the new profile, then you are not using the same Settings. If you still have your old PRofile, try closing Firefox completely, and copying the passwordmaker.rdf file from the old profile to the new one *replacing* the one that is there currently. BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN ANY NEW ACCOUNT SETTINGS YOU MAY HAVE MADE SINCE USING THIS NEW PROFILE BEFORE DOING THIS.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I am having a very hard time understanding precisely what you did.

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 12:32:02 AM »
"Tanstaafl,"

One item at a time.  #1. I moved the HardDrive from my computer to my Wife's with all of my files included on my HardDrive.
CU L8R,

NativeTexan AKA 'd' also LkonKbd

AMD K6-II 500Mg, 184MG RAM, Win98SEv4.10.2222A, Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.1/w Extensions PassWordMaker v1.5ßTHREE, SpoofStick v1.06

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 12:50:44 AM »
"Tanstaafl,"

Next item, #2. I copied my profile from my HardDrive to the folder for profiles, C:\%WIN%\Application Data\Mozilla and added it below my Wife's profile.  I did not have a profile on her computer before because I had my own computer.  I went in and added " -profilemanager " (without the quotes) to the ShortCut for starting FF so I can select my own profile to have my Bookmarks and my PasswordMaker creator of my 'Custom Accounts', NOT using 'Defaults'.  I have never used 'Defaults' until creating NativeTexan in http://forums.passworkmaker.org/ after installing PWM v1.4.4 ßeta One.
CU L8R,

AMD K6-II 500Mg, 184MG RAM, Win98SEv4.10.2222A, Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.1/w Extensions PassWordMaker v1.5ßTHREE, SpoofStick v1.06

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 01:04:07 AM »
"Tanstaafl,"

Item #3. After discovering the 'Defaults' was selected first instead of going to my 'Custom Accounts' NT was removed and added to my 'CA' for PasswordMaker.  All entries in 'Defaults' were removed so that is now blank even the password length is blank.  

My access to PasswordMaker for both accounts work fine even my access to my 30GigsDotCom account, works great.  All other accounts are accessing the 'Defaults' because they come up blank, I had placed 3 in the password length field and three asterisks were shown for any other account accessed even thought there was not a password there nor account selected, all blank.  As I had mentioned before, "all of my accounts are 'Custom Accounts' with 'Auto-populate' selected for most.  But, 'Defaults' is what is used to fill in or 'Auto-populate' for me.  I later removed the password length so it is now blank.  So when I access any other account my UserName and Password that are 'Auto-Populated' for me are now blank.
CU L8R,

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 01:15:59 AM »
"Eric,"

In my message above at location:

http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...dpost&p=1130601

There is a P.S. "Yes the MPW is 'stored' in Memory 'Encrypted' now. Sorry still confuse by my other problem."

I added the single quoted words above to assist in making that a little more clear.  When entering my NativeTexan in 'Defaults' instead of 'Custom Accounts' I have been unable to remove the entry completely even though they are all blank now.  It still accesses 'Defaults' instead of going to my 'Custom Accounts'.  For my other accesses for the other forums.  My access for PasswordMaker Forums is working just fine, both accounts.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:18:23 AM by NativeTexan »
CU L8R,

LkonKbd

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 08:43:11 PM »
"Tanstaafl" and "SirEric,"

The problem I was having is when accessing an account for any of the forums I hold membership all that PWM would use for entry to that account was the 'Default' settings, which I had removed and even the UserName.  I created a new CustomAccount for that NativeTexan and made all of my entries to access PassWordMaker.  Could not make PWM use the new CustomAccount.  I finally did by editing the 'passwordmaker.rdf' file, and that was some time back and do not remember what was removed, but; all are working correctly now even CastleCops.  I discovered what was in error for them, the field 'When URL contains:' was not entered correctly and that has been made correct now and is working just fine.  Mine ERROR!!!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 09:06:42 PM »
OK. By the way, you can't remove the 'Default' settings (unless you hack the RDF file). It's not supposed to be removed...

LkonKbd (guest)

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 09:54:29 PM »
OK. By the way, you can't remove the 'Default' settings (unless you hack the RDF file). It's not supposed to be removed...
"SirEric,"

This system will not accept either of my passwords.  So this is the only method I have to reply.

I know you cannot remove the 'Defaults' settings, the entries or settings are what I was referencing, even when the entries were removed, made blank, they still were selected and would not allow me to use any of my 'CustomAccounts'.  At that time I had to enter may user/name and then use the 'Copy Generated Password To Clipboard' then do the pastey thingy.  That is when I went into the 'password.rdf' file and did my little editing job to remove those entries for 'Defaults' and now it is doing just fine.  I will not use the 'Defaults' any at all, only 'CustomAccounts.

TIA CU L8R,

etceteras . .

LkonKbd not loggedin because the system will not allow me.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 10:11:12 PM »
This system will not accept either of my passwords. So this is the only method I have to reply.
In your last message you seemed to indicate you had figured out what you were doing wrong...

?

I know you cannot remove the 'Defaults' settings, the entries or settings are what I was referencing, even when the entries were removed, made blank, they still were selected and would not allow me to use any of my 'CustomAccounts'. At that time I had to enter may user/name and then use the 'Copy Generated Password To Clipboard' then do the pastey thingy.
This indicates to me that you are still not getting the 'When URL Contains' and 'Use this URL' fields right. Maybe you need to step back, regroup, and start over?

That is when I went into the 'password.rdf' file and did my little editing job to remove those entries for 'Defaults' and now it is doing just fine.
I have no idea what you mean here...

The Defaults are only used when the current URL doesn't match one that is defined in the 'When URL Contains' field in one of your Custom Accounts. If you navigate to a URL, and PWM doesn't use the Account that you have set up, it is because you have something wrong in the 'When URL COntains' field for that Account.

Either that or your passwordmaker.rdf file is totally hosed, in which case starting from scratch sounds like the best way to handle this, even if you have to change all of your passwords again.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you're just having too much trouble with this for too long - something is wrong.

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 01:34:05 AM »
Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you're just having too much trouble with this for too long - something is wrong.

I'm still a perma-noob when it comes to Adobe Photoshop :crazy:
Everyone's a perma-newbie at something...

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 03:53:52 AM »
In your last message you seemed to indicate you had figured out what you were doing wrong...

?

This indicates to me that you are still not getting the 'When URL Contains' and 'Use this URL' fields right. Maybe you need to step back, regroup, and start over?

I have no idea what you mean here...

The Defaults are only used when the current URL doesn't match one that is defined in the 'When URL Contains' field in one of your Custom Accounts. If you navigate to a URL, and PWM doesn't use the Account that you have set up, it is because you have something wrong in the 'When URL COntains' field for that Account.

Either that or your passwordmaker.rdf file is totally hosed, in which case starting from scratch sounds like the best way to handle this, even if you have to change all of your passwords again.

Charles
"Tanstaafl,"

Guess what?  All "bets" are off as of this time, what is meant here, everythingy is working normally again.  

Yesterday none of my accesses to PasswordMaker would work, attempted several times.  Made my entry in http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...dpost&p=1240817 and today, not changing anythingy in my PasswordMaker, and back in normally, if you would consider me Normal, I don't.

This having the 'Quoted' message in one window and my replys in another is confussing to me, will attempt to adapt.

In my last message on "editing my 'passwordmaker.rdf' file" is not covering what I had done WRONG, but; what was done to cause the PWM to STOP using the 'Default' settings.  Even when I had cleared all entries in 'Default' the system was still accessing 'Default' even though they were blank.  That is WHY 'Defaults' will not be used by me any at all.  'CustomAccounts' only for me.

NOT EVEN, "Maybe you need to step back, regroup, and start over?" to quote from your entry.  NO, my '..rdf' file is NOT Hosed, maybe I should be, but; not at this time.  Maybe I need to go to my other accounts on other Forums to see how they are doing now, as some have not been accessed in several days, weeks and months.  I have been working on another project for a friend in a wheel chair and doing some of this when there is time to get to it.

"Tanstaafl,"

I am not smart enough to take any HELP the wrong way, any criticisum is taken as HELP, because; I need all I can find.  I just HOPE anythingy I say here is not taken the wrong way because I am concentraiting on what I have done in an attempt to remember it so I can tell all what is happening and how I was able to accomplish the task at hand.  If you have not figured out yet I do get a little wordy at times and do not re-read what I have put down, I am confused enough without trying to figure my own messages.  If you are confused just ask and I will attempt to clarify, or maybe make the mud a little transparent, after I come up for some air.

Now, what were we discussing?  I know, just kidding.
CU L8R,

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 03:58:14 AM »

I'm still a perma-noob when it comes to Adobe Photoshop :crazy:
Everyone's a perma-newbie at something...
OK, Eric, what would you classify me?  I have problems with everythingy except when my system is in the OFF condition.

As for Adobe, I think that is a great system, I do not have to create any of the files, PDFs, that it uses.

So I am a Newbie, newby, oldie, that is perma also.
CU L8R,

LkonKbd

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 05:04:15 AM »
"Maybe I need to go to my other accounts on other Forums to see how they are doing now, as some have not been accessed in several days, weeks and months.  I have been working on another project for a friend in a wheel chair and doing some of this when there is time to get to it."
OK, here I go again, well not really, have gone and entered CastleCops and MozillaZine, both at the same time and had NO problem.  Even downloaded "NoScript" v1.1.3.9 and have to restart FF to have it activated, will do that after posting this.

Was having problems with CastleCops, minor ones, and MozillaZine and that was solved by changing the length of my password and those are working PERFECTLY FINE.

When doing these posts that "ChooseAccount" window is still shown even when doing the preview of my message.

Will report back on some of the others after my restart and maybe tomorrow for the others to be tested.

Thank you for being patient with me and when I get these reports finished I think my input to you will have to come to a HALT.  I do not want to cause any confusion with my use of terms and titles for things, my terms are non-standard because I am not a programmer nor any of the other that are accused of being a problem.  Like Skip Kiddy, Hacker, Geek-a-zoid, Nerd-a-zoid, Flakey, Square Eyes, KeyBoardJockey, Tip Tapper, Tripper on a KeyBoard, etceteras.   Some were some of my own creations, I am also very confident you could tell.

LkonKbd

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 09:01:30 PM »
"SirEric,"

Have checked out three (3) other Forums, Net-Inegration, AV Comaratives and SaferNetworking and they are doing just fine, like FROG hair, if you can find it.  There are several more but they have not been used in months some in over 5 months.  Not going to worry about them, AntiVir, CastleCops, Safer Networking, Net-Integration and PasswordMaker are the main ones I use.

I hope some of what I have done and provided have been some enlightnment to you.  I will be back to see how thingys are going but will not post unless I have more troubles, and that will probably be of mine own miss doings.

GOOD LUCK on the new setup and work you have planned.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 09:01:30 PM »