Author Topic: Password held encrypted in memory . . .  (Read 16245 times)

LkonKbd

Password held encrypted in memory . . .
« on: January 12, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »
Explain to me why is the MasterPassword always "Not at all" when first started?  Normality or can that be set to our selection?  Have also noticed when accessing another forum the MasterPassword will be required if you are in a custom account and there are two or more selectable accesses.

Have also signed up on http://forums.hamachi.cc/login.php do you know anythingy about this Company?  They are providing a VPN software that is recommended by Mr. Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation http://www.grc.com .

Another one is http://www.subratam.org/main/ and it also looks very well done and maybe some HELP for us DUMMIES.

Offline trephin

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »
To elaborate on the above....

if i use the coolkey keyboard combo, the previously selected "In Memory"  for where to store the master password is reset to Not At All

However, if you use any other method to open PM (click the ring icon or use the tools menu in Mozilla Suite), the selection is retained

actually, i don't know if the coolkey toolbar icon retains the password since i have that turned off
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 12:39:41 AM by trephin »

LkonKbd

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:53:39 PM »
"Trephin,"

Thank you for this info, I have several 'Custom' setups for different Forums I hold membership and also have 'autoFill' selected when I use the GoldKey.  The masterpassword is not maintained encrypted in memory though.  Could this be a bug or maybe just neglected to have it maintained, by Eric?  HiLo Eric, just was wondering what goes.

Thanks for the HELP 'trephin',

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:26:30 PM »
Sorry for not replying earlier. I'm pretty sure this is fixed in 1.4.4 beta1. Can you try it and let me know?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 06:30:39 PM »
"Eric,"

Have had some difficulties with this setup on my Wife's system and was a little shaky to download the ßeta1 version.  They seem to have cleared now so I will download and TEST 4 U.
CU L8R,

NativeTexan AKA 'd' also LkonKbd

AMD K6-II 500Mg, 184MG RAM, Win98SEv4.10.2222A, Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.1/w Extensions PassWordMaker v1.5ßTHREE, SpoofStick v1.06

LkonKbd

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:32:03 AM »
"Eric,"

On the problem you requested I do a test 4U has only been done on PWM through both of my usernames and all seems to be AOK.  Will do some testing on some of the other Forums shortly and report back using my alter ego.

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 01:51:58 AM »
Sorry for not replying earlier. I'm pretty sure this is fixed in 1.4.4 beta1. Can you try it and let me know?

Thanks,
Eric
"Eric,"

R U readY??  Just for grins I setup my access to PWM using this UserName in the Default Zone.  Now when I go to any website that requires PWM assistance NativeTexan is all that shows, of course that has to be removed and the correct entry made.  I removed the 'Auto-populate' feature in the Default Zone and it is still the only entry that appears until I manually make the entry for UserName then the password is entered for the correct site but it is also WRONG and I cannot enter.  Looks as though the entry for PWM using NT is going to have to be removed.  The Default Zone is not going to work for me as I have all Custom accounts setup.

Will do further testing and report back,

L8R,

Cannot get past the 'Default Zone', have removed all entries in the 'Default' plus set the password length to "BLANK" and with my correct UserName entered the pw field is blank when using Populate With PWM.  Still testing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:25:29 AM by NativeTexan »
CU L8R,

AMD K6-II 500Mg, 184MG RAM, Win98SEv4.10.2222A, Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.1/w Extensions PassWordMaker v1.5ßTHREE, SpoofStick v1.06

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 02:41:35 AM »
Not sure what exactly is happening, but; PWM forums is the only one I can enter.  The password or Auto-Populate is not working.  I recycled FF, closed and re-open, without any satisfactory results.
CU L8R,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
I'm thoroughly confused. Are there any bugs left in 1.4.4 beta1?

LkonKbd

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »
I'm thoroughly confused. Are there any bugs left in 1.4.4 beta1?
"Eric,"

Excuse me, so am I very confused with this.  I entered my NativeTexan access to PWM in 'Default' and now I cannot get CastleCops to work, will not populate with my UserName nor password.  Uses the 'Default' which is blank except for the password and that is only 3 characters long.  Pwm access works for both usernames/w correct passwords plus my ThirtyGigsDotCom addy works AOK.  Is there a method to use to clear the 'Default' so it will access my other Custom Accounts?

I changed my NativeTexan account for PWM to a Custom Account and removed all of the info in 'Default'.

P.S. Yes the MPW is being in Memory now.  Sorry still confuse by my other problem.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:01:53 PM by LkonKbd »

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 08:13:43 PM »
"Eric,"

Excuse me as I have been having some difficuties with this setup on my Wife's system and maybe should not do any testing for you.  Just read over the entries made by me and have trouble understanding them as well.

I will attempt to explain; #1. When I setup NativeTexan in PasswordMaker Forums the entries in PWM was in the 'Defaults' zone.  Check the first three (3) boxes, entered UserName, checked 'Auto-populate', made a selection for the length of password and strength of encryption.  I did work just fine for that purpose in PWM Forums.  When going to any other site all that would appear was the 'Defaults' settings no matter which site was accessed, except for 30Gigs.Com there it did populate with the correct UserName and password.  #2. In an attempt to correct the problem of 'Auto-populate' in 'Defaults' after clearing all entries, including 'Length', my access to CastleCops is still using the password entry from 'Defaults' and the user name is entered as the 'Defaults' is now set to 'blank'.  Even entering the correct username and 'Populate with PasswordMaker' is also still using the 'Defaults' settings.  #3. None of the other sites I have registered on will give me access, only PasswordMakerForums and 30Gigs.Com will the username and password populate automatically and correctly.  So far the others will only go as far as the 'DefaultsSettings'.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 08:14:08 PM »
"Eric,"

Excuse me as I have been having some difficuties with this setup on my Wife's system and maybe should not do any testing for you.  Just read over the entries made by me and have trouble understanding them as well.

I will attempt to explain; #1. When I setup NativeTexan in PasswordMaker Forums the entries in PWM was in the 'Defaults' zone.  Check the first three (3) boxes, entered UserName, checked 'Auto-populate', made a selection for the length of password and strength of encryption.  I did work just fine for that purpose in PWM Forums.  When going to any other site all that would appear was the 'Defaults' settings no matter which site was accessed, except for 30Gigs.Com there it did populate with the correct UserName and password.  #2. In an attempt to correct the problem of 'Auto-populate' in 'Defaults' after clearing all entries, including 'Length', my access to CastleCops is still using the password entry from 'Defaults' and the user name is entered as the 'Defaults' is now set to 'blank'.  Even entering the correct username and 'Populate with PasswordMaker' is also still using the 'Defaults' settings.  #3. None of the other sites I have registered on will give me access, only PasswordMakerForums and 30Gigs.Com will the username and password populate automatically and correctly.  So far the others will only go as far as the 'DefaultsSettings'.

I hope this HELPS you,

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
All on PasswordMaker,

Excuse me again, forgot to login in the previous posting.

"MiQuelFire,"

See you are not 'alone' a few of us have that part of our brain missing as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 08:24:20 PM by NativeTexan »
CU L8R,

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 09:38:18 PM »
NativeTexan,

I'm very confused by what you are saying...

Your Custom Accounts do not automatically follow you when going from one computer to another. They are contained in a separate file called 'passwordmaker.rdf', that is in your FireFox Profile folder something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0o9na50z.default\

You can take all of your custom accounts and settings with you by simply copying this one file - but without it, your startring all over from scratch again.

I'm not positive thats your problem, but it sounds like it might be...

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 11:32:02 PM »
NativeTexan,

I'm very confused by what you are saying...

Snip snip,

. . your startring all over from scratch again.

From NT: No, not starting over.

I'm not positive thats your problem, but it sounds like it might be...
"Tanstaafl,"

Forgive me for not being clear enough on this one.

I have all of my files here on this system with me.  The MBD in my CPU died so I removed my H/D and placed it within my 'Wife's' system and have managed to tie my pofile in FF to her copy of FF, that is the same version1.5 along with PWM extension v1.4.4ßetaOne (this version was downloaded after the transfer of my H/D).  So all of my systems files are here and for some reason, and it may be caused by my placing NativeTexan access to PWM Forums in 'Defaults', may be interferring with my other forum accesses.  They are all in 'Custom Accounts' even my 30GigsDotCom account.  The only one placed within the 'Defaults' is NT for PWM.  When accessing 30Gigs and PWM Forums everythingy works just fine.  When I access CastleCops, Wilders, Net-Integrations, Safer-Networking, etceteras, they all are being given the 'Defaults' info for my UserName and Password, which is blank at this time.  I removed every entry I had made in 'Defaults' for NativeTexan.  That has all been removed and re-established in a 'Custom Account'.  If you need to know any more about how I managed to setup this system I will go into farther detail, but; that will not assist in this problem from my point of view.  

If there are any specific questions you have please let me have them.

I await your return,
CU L8R,

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 11:32:02 PM »