Author Topic: password required to launch Firefox  (Read 5728 times)

sbrogden

password required to launch Firefox
« on: December 23, 2005, 08:38:49 PM »
On one PC - running Winxp Pro - Password Maker asks for a password when I launch Forefox 1.5.  On my other PC - running Win2k Pro - it does not.  I cannot find the option to tell Password Maker whether or not I want this feature engaged.

Can someone clue me in?

Thanks

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:33:49 PM »
Hi,

It sounds like your home page on winxp pro must have a username/password field, and you also have "Auto-populate username and password fields" checked for an account.

You can either uncheck this setting or store your master password to disk. Both prevent the prompt.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:34:00 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline sbrogden

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:45:56 PM »
Many thanks for your quick reply.  I use the Firefox Start page on both PCs - neither of which require a password to load.  I've tried to tell Password Maker to require a password to load this page on my Win2K machine, but the page loads with no prompt.  I am trying to require Firefox to prompt for a password on both machines.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 04:02:17 PM »
Hmmm... maybe I'm not understanding this, but...

PasswordMaker does not password protect a web page - it allows you to manage passwords for sites that require you to login.

What Eric was saying is correct - if you are getting a password prompt *from* *PasswordMaker*, then it is because PM is detecting some login fields (username, password) on the page. It has always worked pretty much flawlessly for me, though there have been some issues when these fields were located in frames, or had strange names/tags.

Now, it is possible that something *else* is prompting you for a password.

What we'll need to give you a definitive answer is a screenshot of each machine showing the browser URL/Location bar, and the password prompt on the one prompting for a password.

I suspect that either the URL is different, or the password prompt is not from PasswordMaker.

If you don't have anything to grab screenshots, I really like and use the free version of Screenhunter:

www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 03:13:19 PM »
I think sbrogden misunderstands what PasswordMaker is for. I think he wants to add password protection to webpages which don't already have it. Not a bad idea, but not something PasswordMaker does :)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 06:48:04 PM »
Yeah, thats the only thing I could think of that he could mean, but something like that would only apply to that computer/FFox profile, so don't really see any benefit...

LkonKbd

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »
"Eric, tanstaafl,"

If a dummy may have input?  What is he using for a home page?  That may require a password and username.  In other words, maybe he has them opening to different HomePages.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 01:11:18 AM »
Dunno. He doesn't seem to have returned to answer our questions...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 01:11:18 AM »