Author Topic: Store Password in Memory doesn't work  (Read 18923 times)

Offline galgoz

• Normal Members
Store Password in Memory doesn't work
« on: November 29, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »
Based on the description of how this is to work on the website it isn't working.  I store the password but I have to reenter it when visiting other pages in a new window.  I haven't closed out all of the windows and it says that it is stored until all windows are closed.
George Algozzini

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 11:52:23 AM »
Hi galgoz,

This is a very old preference (by that I mean it is not new functionality) that has always worked fine for me. And yes, the way you are expecting it to work is correct - you should not have to re-enter the password until all browser windows/instances have been closed.

Can you provide a little more info? Versions of PM, FFox and OS, some example websites?

Is it prompting you for the password automatically? Or maybe you mean you are having to hit ALT-` (which woul dmean, you simply have to check the 'Automatically populate' checkbox)?

Lastly, could be a conflict with some other extension maybe? Have you tried in a clean profile?

Offline AgentJ

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »
I'm having the same problem.
I use ALT+~. In the PasswordMaker options, I've specified to store the master password in memory. However, whenever I'm at a page and press ALT+~, the dialog always defaults to storing the password "not at all". If I change it to "in memory", it does work (for that browsing session) but I'd rather not have to do that every time.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 12:30:05 PM »
Hmmm...

I don't store my Master Password, but decided to test this a bit more...

Mine seems to remember the settings fine - until I LOGOUT or REBOOT - after which it reverts back. I can quit Firefox and reopen it and the setting persists, but it doesn't survive a reboot...

I'll post a bug later this morning...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »
Just realized this thread is already in the bugs forum... lol

Offline major4579

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
This option was working fine for me (Store PW in Memory) until I upgraded from 1.33 to 1.43.

In my settings I have "Store in Memory". But each time I go to a site needing a password I get the "Enter Master PW screen" with the option "Not at All" for PW storage.

If I select "Store on Disk" then it works fine (i.e., doesn't ask me for the Master PW at all).

I am running Moz 1.7.12

-John
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:19:19 PM by major4579 »
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 03:20:39 AM »
Damn, I hate this forum software. I never got an email about this thread even though I should have. This is the first I'm seeing it, and only because miquelfire linked to it from this thread.

We really need to upgrade to the new forum software ASAP.

major4579, can you tell me how the password field is populated? Is it with auto-populate, CoolKey, or right-click->Populate With PasswordMaker?

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »
Someone like you shouldn't even be relying on e-mail notifications in the first place.

BTW, I don't recieve any e-mails myself. I run through the thread listings and hit any topic that says there's a new post. Good way to kill off bandwidth though.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 03:39:14 AM »
In my settings I have "Store in Memory". But each time I go to a site needing a password I get the "Enter Master PW screen" with the option "Not at All" for PW storage.
I've reproduced and fixed this. It will be in the next release. I also didn't see it until I logged off or rebooted, like tanstaafl.

Someone like you shouldn't even be relying on e-mail notifications in the first place.

BTW, I don't recieve any e-mails myself. I run through the thread listings and hit any topic that says there's a new post. Good way to kill off bandwidth though.
I don't trust the "new post" notifier. It often says a thread has a new post even though it doesn't have anything new.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 04:39:55 AM »
I don't trust the "new post" notifier. It often says a thread has a new post even though it doesn't have anything new.
Never had that issue.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 06:57:17 AM »
case in point: ...this thread didn't have the word "New" next to it after you posted the last post.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 06:57:59 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline major4579

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 03:53:07 PM »
Eric,

You asked:

major4579, can you tell me how the password field is populated? Is it with auto-populate, CoolKey, or right-click->Populate With PasswordMaker?

it looks like it's too late as you said you've fixed it, BFWIW, I use both auto-populate  and Coolkey (mostly Coolkey).

-John
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 03:56:05 PM »
I was about to report this as still broken (but in a different way), but apparently it is only for a specific situation...

There is a site I use, that gets passed the username in the URL string, and so only has a password field on it. I am ALWAYS prompted for the Master Password on this page. All of the other sites I checked seemed to work fine - if I have MP stored in memory, Username and Password are auto filled without a MP prompt.

I cannot give out the link to the page in question (its an internal/private site) and I don't know of any other public sites that don't have a username field on them...

Hopefully this is enough information to fix it, but I guess its no big deal anyway... I generally don't save the MP in memory (paranoia will destroy ya) - although now that I've been playing with it, I can definitely see its advantages...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:56:20 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »
So you get prompted even if the MPW is already stored in memory?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 03:02:31 AM »
case in point: ...this thread didn't have the word "New" next to it after you posted the last post.
Your session has 'expired' and the forums thought you just logged back in for some reason (if you're behind a proxy, it might be changing the IP on you between page request, which IPB seems as a possible attempt to HiJack a session, so it invalidates it and starts a new one)

I encounter this all the time when I get disconnected while viewing a forum.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 03:02:31 AM »