Author Topic: Populate Password vs. Dialog Password  (Read 7586 times)

Kyle Miller

Populate Password vs. Dialog Password
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:07:08 PM »
I love PasswordMaker. What a fantastic extension.

I've been having problem since 0.9. (Currently using 0.9.1.) I used to select Populate with PasswordMaker on a password field, and the generated password would automatically appear. It still does this, but it always populates with an incorrect password. Yet, I can go to the PasswordMaker dialog and click "Copy Generated Password to Clipboard", paste the password in, and it works fine.

I'm using Firefox 1.5b2. Not sure if that is a problem. Is there an option to check?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:56:03 PM »
Hello Kyle,

I love PasswordMaker. What a fantastic extension.
Thanks!

It still does this, but it always populates with an incorrect password. Yet, I can go to the PasswordMaker dialog and click "Copy Generated Password to Clipboard", paste the password in, and it works fine.
The best way to figure out what's going on is to use the ring statusbar icon. Use the "Populate With PasswordMaker" option, then hover over the statusbar icon. The tooltip shows you all the account information which was used to populate the field. This info should match the settings you're using when clicking "Copy Generated Password to Clipboard". If they don't, the account hasn't been configured correctly.

I suspect one of the options is using the Defaults while the other is using a custom account. Can you confirm?

Regards,
Eric

Kyle Miller

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:24:25 PM »
I have only one account, Default Options. Look at the ring's tooltip displays the parameters match the parameters in "Default Options." When I bring up the Dialog, the generated password matches the generated password in the Account settings dialog. The only password that doesn't seem to match is the one created when right clicking and clicking populate with password maker.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »
Hm, can you confirm the password generated by Populate with PasswordMaker is not correct by viewing the password on the webpage (turn off asterisks) by using Advaned Options->Global Settings tab->Show all passwords on webpages as clear text?

Secondly, can you give me the website on which this occurs? Also--have you stored the master password to disk, memory, or not at all?

Thanks,
Eric

Kyle Miller

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 10:09:55 PM »
Yes, confirmed. The password on the page (unmasked) is different than what is in the dialog.

From what I've seen, it doesn't matter what web site I use. PM consistently generates different passwords. The incorrect one generated on the page is always the same for a given site.

One site I was testing with is GoDaddy.com.

I store the master password on disk and in memory (encrypted).

Offline Romeo

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »
Kyle, I used to use populate with passwordmaker from the contex menu also.  But then I found out about the <alt>` shortcut key.  (The ` key is actually the ~ key w/o pressing the shift key.}  You could give that a try, because I use that key combination  exclusively now.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 08:09:43 PM »
I seem to be having exactly the same problem. If I do Alt+~ I get one password and if I do CTR+~ and put in the same master password there, I get a different password.  From the info I got hovering over the ring icon I see no difference in the info used and I have only the default account.  I've solved the problem by only using the coolkey, but it is odd and potentially confusing.  Also, if I use the online version I get the password that is generated via Ctr-~, not the one generated by the coolkey.  If I use the context menu I get the same thing as using the coolkey.  This is all on Firefox if that matters.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 09:01:57 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Could you give us your settings (not the master password) and a website on which to try it?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline ashear

• Normal Members
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 09:20:11 PM »
URL Components: domain
auto populate off

l33t: not at all
MD5
8 Characters
Characters: 0123456789abcdef

Just a default account

Global settings: top 3 not checked, rest checked, populate empty fields only

I have the problem with Google, yahoo, and every other site I've tried.

Let me know if there is any other info you need.

(This is Andrew by the way, I just registered with a different username)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 09:20:40 PM by ashear »

Offline ashear

• Normal Members
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 02:09:25 PM »
Another bit of info.  This only seems to happen on one particular computer.  On my laptop it does not happen, I get the same password I get via Ctr-~ on the other computer no matter how I do it.  I tried to uninstall and reinstall the extension, but it did not work.  Obviously its something with that machine.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 09:27:29 PM »
When you uninstall the extension, passwordmaker.rdf does not get deleted. Try deleting this file (you don't need to uninstall the extension) and re-opening the browser. The file automatically gets recreated if it doesn't exist.

Offline ashear

• Normal Members
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 02:15:47 PM »
Eureka!  It worked. :D

Thanks so much.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 01:59:40 PM »
I suspect one of the options is using the Defaults while the other is using a custom account. Can you confirm?
Slowly I seem to understand the cause of my troubles also.

How could the generation of password inside a dialog use customized account settings and the one use via the populate context meny use different option. What sense does this make?

I have the problem of registering to a site where no special characters are allowed inside a password. So I changed the character set, but I don't want to change it globally (Which might affect the passwords, I already have registered.)

Know the ring popup shows, PWM has correctly identified the site. The password shown in the dialolg ist the right on, but using the populate filter fills in the wrong password (regardless off automatic or manual population).

What am I missing?

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 02:22:07 PM »
Both passwords (dialog and population) came together after switching to basic options and back to advanced options. I tried it again at another site, couldn't get any difference.

What I found and should be changed: if you switch from basic to advanced, the password inside the dialog is not changed to the password, that is generated by advanced options. May this is one of the reasons for problems...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 08:38:03 PM »
What I found and should be changed: if you switch from basic to advanced, the password inside the dialog is not changed to the password, that is generated by advanced options. May this is one of the reasons for problems...
That is true if you've selected "Do not store master password". But you are right, the master password should be maintained when switching from one dialog to the other. I will fix this.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 08:38:03 PM »