Author Topic: PasswordMaker in PocketPC  (Read 4546 times)

Offline lucianop

• Normal Members
PasswordMaker in PocketPC
« on: November 08, 2005, 01:06:19 PM »
I tried downloading the online page and run it on my Pocket IE, with no success.
I understand PocketIE is not on the list of supported browsers, but I wonder if someone know why it doesn´t work. Maybe it´s a simple change.
I am planning to replace my traditional password database with PasswordMaker, but I would like it to be portable.
My concern with using the online version in public computers is that the generated password is visible and there may be keyloggers and such.

Any help is appreciated.
Luciano.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:58:55 PM »
Hi Luciano,

but I wonder if someone know why it doesn´t work
According to the Microsoft's MSDN, IE on PocketPC is based on IE 4.0. It does not support DHTML. This means in order for the page to work on that browser, you'd have to press a "submit" button, have the web server generate the password, then return it to your browser. Needless to say, this means you'd have to place enormous trust with passwordmaker.org.

Someone else brought this issue up recently. Does your PocketPC support Java? His did, and he suggested he'd wait for the Java mobile version.

My concern with using the online version in public computers is that the generated password is visible and there may be keyloggers and such.
If this is a concern, we can add a checkbox which, when checked, turns the password to ******. When unchecked, it shows the password in clear text. The checkbox setting would be stored in a cookie like the rest of the settings, so next time you visit the page it has the same value as before.

By the way, if you always use copy/paste of the generated password, you'll defeat any keylogger -- regardless of whether or not the password is hidden with ***** or not.

Regards,
Eric

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:40:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for you compreensive reply. I gotta check about my device supporting Java. ...(Damn, Pocket IE is IE4.0 - wow, that´s so 1998!! :)

I think conceiling the generated password to ****** is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible to have that kind of field with copying enabled (password fields do not allow COPY).

Thanks again.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:01:18 PM »
I'm not sure if it's possible to have that kind of field with copying enabled (password fields do not allow COPY).
That's a good point, but we can work around it by not making it a password field (and still filling it with asterisks).

tyrant: can you add this to the FRL even though it's for the online version?

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:01:50 PM by Eric H. Jung »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:01:18 PM »