Author Topic: PWM Password Change issue 50% Solved  (Read 4280 times)

Clint Chamberlin

PWM Password Change issue 50% Solved
« on: November 05, 2005, 07:58:17 PM »
My Previous post was getting too long, so I thought this might be a better way for someone else to get a quick sense of part of the problem and solution. As a summary, PWM changed all my PW's on my desktop system, and appeared to do the same on an imported file for my laptop. However, I have discovered why the laptop was different than the Desktop, and tanstaafl was partially correct that retracing my steps would help.

The sequence for the laptop was that I imported the master PW with the RDF file, but then told the program to only hold it in memory, thereby deleting it from the HD.

Now enter the total panic that I encountered on the Desktop System. I quickly went to the Laptop to see if it was OK. I opened up each select account in the advanced tab, and found it was not only wrong, but did not agree with the desktop.

HOWEVER, I did not enter the master password before looking at each account, because I this was not required  on the desktop(master PW is stored on Disk there).  As experienced users, you will all know that the lack of a master password creates an entirely different PW.  Had I acutally attempted to log onto a site with the laptop, I would probably have seen that it was OK.

So that only leaves the desktop system mystery. There, I definitely could not log onto any site with the correct PW, and the only thing that I changed there was from keeping the master PW in memory to storing on disk. So each site visited did not require Master PW, and it autofilled with the wrong PW.

The loss of access to financial sites caused such a panic that I was not able to see this rather obvious fact until I was encouraged by a good restore on both systems...and of course the patient hand-holding by Eric and tanstaafl

I have used the original RDF file to restore the desktop, and have stored and unstored the Master PW, rebooted a couple of times, and so far can not duplicate the problem. I will start to use PWM again and see if this ever happens again.

Clint

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »
Hi Clint,

Glad you were able to figure this out, and now that you explained what happened, it does indeed make sense.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 02:32:38 AM »
Clint, if you have any advice on how PasswordMaker could be changed so others don't have the same problem in the future, please let us know.

-Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 02:32:38 AM »