Author Topic: disable default account - require custom account  (Read 6466 times)

Offline ajw

disable default account - require custom account
« on: October 30, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
I greatly prefer having custom accounts for every web site - for one, I tend to make notes to go with the account, and also it diminishes the possibility of losing multiple passwords by an inadvertant change.  For example, all my new accounts will avoid using letters/numbers that can be confused with each other - liike capital I and lower-case L.

If I change the default account's character set, that changes any previously-generated passwords - so I won't be able to get into any site that had already used the default account!  (I consider this probably PM's greatest failure - the ability to lose all your passwords at once.  I tend to think it's not that likely to happen, except I already did it for one account by changing the URL without thinking...)

I'd like to be able to disable generating passwords with the default account - instead, when I press ALT~ (or equivalent) PM would open an new account (and fill in the URLs) and I'd create a custom account for that site.

- Al -

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 07:50:29 PM »
Hi Al,

when I press ALT~ (or equivalent) PM would open an new account (and fill in the URLs) and I'd create a custom account for that site.
I believe there's already a feature request for this, Ability to create a new account for the current URL via context menu while in a password field, although when I implement it, I will generalize it to work from the context-menu anywhere on the page--not just the password field. It currently only has 1 vote.

I'd like to be able to disable generating passwords with the default account
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can't you simply turn off auto-populate for the Default account?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 07:50:57 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline ajw

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 08:52:03 PM »
when I press ALT~ (or equivalent) PM would open an new account (and fill in the URLs) and I'd create a custom account for that site.

I believe there's already a feature request for this, Ability to create a new account for the current URL via context menu while in a password field, although when I implement it, I will generalize it to work from the context-menu anywhere on the page--not just the password field. It currently only has 1 vote.
Ok, I'll vote for it when I get another vote freed up.

I'd generalize it further though - anything that would normally cause PM to fill in fields should bring up the new account's settings.  (I just do ALT~ generally)

I'd like to be able to disable generating passwords with the default account

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can't you simply turn off auto-populate for the Default account?
That won't help with ALT~ though - it'll fill in fields using the default account; I want to disable that.

Just occurred to me that I can set the default account to a fixed password "DEFAULT" - that'll clue me in that I need to create a custom account for wherever I am...  Maybe this isn't needed after all...

(just tried it - set both user name and password to "DEFAULT" - works great!  Now I instantly know if it's using the default account and I can create a custom one.)

- Al -

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 09:14:45 PM »
Now I instantly know if it's using the default account and I can create a custom one
You can also tell instantly if you're using the default account or a custom one by looking at the statusbar icon. If it's horizontal, the default account was used. If it's angled, a custom account was used. Hover over the icon (ring) in the statusbar for even more info.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 09:14:56 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline ajw

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 09:42:15 PM »
You can also tell instantly if you're using the default account or a custom one by looking at the statusbar icon. If it's horizontal, the default account was used. If it's angled, a custom account was used. Hover over the icon (ring) in the statusbar for even more info.
Yeah, but that requires work (looking down at it) - and requires me to *remember* to look.  It'll lose right there - expecting me to remember anything is bound to failure!  :)

Much better to have something that pops up and slaps you in the face...  :)

I do hover over it to see the account (uh, needs a way to *go* to that account...)  but I find it to be very twitchy; invariably I move the mouse slightly and it goes away again.
(is that just me/my machine, or do others find it like that?)

- Al -

Offline Romeo

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 09:47:43 PM »
Code: [Select]
is that just me/my machine, or do others find it like that?Al, I do not have that problem.  When I move my mouse over it, it stays until I move it away.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline ajw

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 05:42:26 AM »
is that just me/my machine, or do others find it like that?
Al, I do not have that problem. When I move my mouse over it, it stays until I move it away.
Interesting - when I tried it again, it worked properly.  I dunno what was happening earlier - maybe my mouse going nuts.  (or me...  :)

- Al -

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 05:42:26 AM »