Author Topic: Hotkey change  (Read 6494 times)

Offline koreth

Hotkey change
« on: June 21, 2005, 10:34:43 PM »
It would be swell if there were a hotkey to populate any empty password fields on the page. Actually I'd much rather have a hotkey for that than for bringing up the PasswordMaker dialog box; other than bringing it up to copy-and-paste a password, I look at the dialog infrequently enough that it'd be no big deal if I had to get at it via the options button on the Extensions dialog.

Someday I'll turn on auto-populate, but I still have enough legacy passwords on various sites that I leave it turned off most of the time.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Hotkey change
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:48:25 PM »
It would be swell if there were a hotkey to populate any empty password fields on the page.
Sure, I can do this no problem. Let me make sure I have it right, though: you want to populate only empty password fields on a page? Do you actually have a lot of websites with multiple password fields on a single page? The reason I ask is because I'm curious why the context-menu item doesn't fulfil your needs. Also, would you prefer it as a context-menu item (global--that is, it would always appear, not just when you right-click on a password field), a hotkey, a button on the Options dialog, or some combination?

Someday I'll turn on auto-populate, but I still have enough legacy passwords on various sites that I leave it turned off most of the time.
Heh, I hear ya. I don't leave it turned on myself--yet.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:48:40 PM by grimholtz »

Offline koreth

Hotkey change
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:58:59 AM »
The right-click menu item is okay most of the time, but when I hit a site that asks me for a login name and password, I take my hand off the mouse to enter the login name, at which point it's faster to hit a hotkey. I guess I can get into the habit of always filling in the password first, though.

As for "empty" -- I say that because last time I had autopopulate turned on, I was annoyed that it filled in both the old and new password fields on a "change your password" page without me realizing it (since the old password was the same length.) I was picturing the hotkey doing the same thing to someone. But I guess in those cases we should really be right-clicking instead of hitting the hotkey, so maybe that's not an important feature.

Romeo

Hotkey change
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:21:43 PM »
Koreth,

If you use Windows and have a windows keyboard, the one with the funky keys between the ALT and XTRL keys, you can just use the context menu key to emulate the right click.  I've been doing that for a while and it works quite well for me.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Hotkey change
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 02:45:46 PM »
I've been doing that for a while and it works quite well for me.
If you're doing that, clearly there is a usability issue. I'll add another hotkey--it's really no big deal.

-Eric

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Hotkey change
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »
Hi Koreth and Romeo,
This has been added to beta 4 as the ALT-` shortcut. It is turned on by default, but can be disabled in the Advanced Settings->Global Settings dialog.

Hope you like it,
Eric
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 10:03:28 PM by grimholtz »

PasswordMaker Forums

Hotkey change
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »