Author Topic: Fill in Password  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Romeo

Fill in Password
« on: October 14, 2005, 08:52:38 PM »
Hey guys, I have W2k and a 101, give or take, keyboard.  On my keyboard the ` and the ~ are on the same key.  I was just wondering if that is the case on all available computer keyboards.

The reason I am asking is because referring to <ctrl>` is not as easily understood as referring to <ctrl>~.  The ` could easily be mistaken for the '.  This is why I would, in the fuure, like to refer to it as <ctrl>~, and <alt>~, respectively.  Do you guys see anything wrong with that?

edit:  Or may be someone has a picture of this key ????
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:53:43 PM by Romeo »
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline quixin

Fill in Password
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:32:01 PM »
Its the same on mine Romeo.  You make a good point.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Fill in Password
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:27:59 PM »
Or may be someone has a picture of this key ????
Google Images...

I like the first one more.If you refer to it as ctrl~, won't newbies be confused unless PasswordMaker responds to that shortcut? Are you saying the shortcut should be changed?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 11:28:44 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

Fill in Password
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:44:31 AM »
Google Images...

I like the first one more.If you refer to it as ctrl~, won't newbies be confused unless PasswordMaker responds to that shortcut? Are you saying the shortcut should be changed?
You are correct, it doesn't respond to <ctrl>~, to <ctrl><shit>`.  I hadn't thought about it that way.  It's just that I went thru getting my dad used to using PM and always said: "press the <alt> and the key with the wave on it" and he knew what I was talking about.

And no, I am absolutely not wanting you to change the shortcut, because when you say <ctrl>~, you would have to press three keys and for people like me, who always fat finger the keyboard, that's not good - just joking.   :lol:   But no, don't change it on my account.

And thanks for the pics, I'll try to get them into the manual somehow, to make it more clear.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Fill in Password
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:48:26 AM »
If you wanted, I could have PasswordMaker respond to BOTH cntrl-` and cntrl-~

Offline Romeo

Fill in Password
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 12:52:02 AM »
No, that won't be neccessary.  I was just trying to think of a way to make it clearer in the help manual, but I think the images will do that very well.

PasswordMaker Forums

Fill in Password
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 12:52:02 AM »