Author Topic: Edits for the HELP Books . . . .  (Read 8349 times)

LkonKbd

Edits for the HELP Books . . . .
« on: October 11, 2005, 08:04:19 PM »
Greetings from LeonSprings, Texas USofA,

" Plus there are several areas that could do with some clearing-up and maybe adding some missing letters. I am not one that should attempt that, because; Webster's UnAbridged Dictionary is required."

That said, here is one example taken from:

http://www.passwordmaker.org/help/introduction.xhtml

"Installation and Start
Once you have successfully installed PASSWORDMAKER, there are three ways to open it:

* the PASSWORDMAKER option in the Tools menu
    * the <ctrl> ~ shortcut key"

That is NOT the 'tilde' key to do that, it is `, whatever it is called.  It is on the same key but is the lower case.  The 'tilde' is the upper case on that key.

More later CU L8R,

Offline Romeo

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 08:43:21 PM »
That is fixed.  Thanks LkonKbd   :)
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

LkonKbd

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »
That is fixed.  Thanks LkonKbd   :)
OK!

Now I know which is responsible for this part.  Do you want them one at a time or would you like a list.  At this time it is a short list, about seven (7), of different areas of needed improvements and corrections.  Just starting into the "Advanced Options" window instructions.

Would you accept some suggestions?  Or do you want to evaluate them for yourself and either make some changes or not?  Personally I feel there are some needed changes that you may not see as you are more familiar with the operation and I am not.  I can see some thingys that may miss-lead or confuse a new user, especially such as myself as non-technical.  Some times when you are too close to a problem the miss-leadings cannot be seen too well.

As you can tell from my messages there is alot to be desired with my wording of info.  I will make some attempts to assist if you want.

I await your return, CU L8R,

Offline Romeo

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:50:06 PM »
I can see some thingys that may miss-lead or confuse a new user, especially such as myself as non-technical. Some times when you are too close to a problem the miss-leadings cannot be seen too well.
Please, if you have any suggestions, send them along.  You could do it either way, send them all at once, or a list.

You are correct, I have been working on those documents so long that I don't even see the problems anymore.  And yes, I am fairly familiar with PM and it is tough to think back to what it was like, when I started using it.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:51:43 PM »
I think tanstaafl also had some changes/suggestions, no?

LkonKbd

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 10:35:39 PM »
Please, if you have any suggestions, send them along.  You could do it either way, send them all at once, or a list.

You are correct, I have been working on those documents so long that I don't even see the problems anymore.  And yes, I am fairly familiar with PM and it is tough to think back to what it was like, when I started using it.
Thank you "Romeo,"

It may take me a little while to get thingys ready for you.  Any suggestions made can be modified to fit what you, and ERIC, feel should be acceptable.

Well maybe all of the others should review them if you feel they ahould have input.

Supper time here and have to assist the Cook,

CU L8R,
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 10:37:41 PM by LkonKbd »

LkonKbd

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 02:48:32 AM »
"Romeo,"

This may not fit your requiements for these instructions.  For the Getting Started I am re-writing this opeing.  So this may take a little longer than I had first expected.  I am also going to include here part of my re-write.  So I can see how you are going to receive this.   Also would suggest the features you are using farther into the instructions like where you use the Black triangle and just hover the mouse over it to have a display of a portion of the 'Settings' window be used more so instead of sending us to links that either open in our present window or having to open a 'Tab'.

This is not finished there will be more added:

">Getting Started<
When a password is needed there are three (3) items you will need to know, #1. What characters are acceptable, alphabetical, numerical, and/or special characters (`~!@#$%^&*()_+=-';":/?><), #2. Lengh of or number of characters allowed and #3. How often the password will be required to be changed (most very secure sites will require this done at least twice a year or every 6 months, then there are some that do not require this operation).  Those three (3) items are not difficult to acquire nor understand.  When a password is required PasswordMaker will assist you with one that is created using very difficult to decipher algorithms, additional site specific and user specific entries to further encode your password.  Neither is this difficult to understand especially after we help you to learn and understand what is being done.  The explanations farther into these HELP files on 'how to' do things will keep you informed.  If you have questions there is our FAQ area and our Forum to answer any questions not covered in our FAQ area.

You may use the 'Basic Options' with little worry or choose the 'Advanced Options' still with little worry as we will teach you how to set things for use now and in the future.  PasswordMaker can be set to populate the required fields automatically or on demand through your use of your browser and PasswordMaker.  After download and install of the plugin, for Netscape and Mozilla the icon is automatically installed in the 'Tool Bar'.  In Mozilla FireFox you will have to place it there using 'Menu', 'View', 'Tool Bar', 'Customize' select the Gold Ring icon and drag it to the point you want it installed.  After closing the 'Customize' of your tool bar you may click on the ICON for PasswordMaker, when first open the 'Basic Options' window is displayed."

For those items within the single quotes (') if you so desire can be trigger points to open one of the small windows to show what that will look like.  Including the 'Basic Options' and show the window with the two (2) password boxes for the Master Password because this is when they first open PasswordMaker.

More later also CU L8R,
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:54:07 AM by LkonKbd »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:13:30 PM »
CU L8R, thank you very much for this re write.  I will try to incorporate it into the current intro, with some minor modifications.

LkonKbd (guest)

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »
CU L8R, thank you very much for this re write.  I will try to incorporate it into the current intro, with some minor modifications.
I did it again, skip that, do not rush to using that sample.  I have already made many changes to that one and attempting to incorporate some of your present instructions.

Give me some more time to finish this first bit of work.  Do you want it in here or like PM it to you?

CU L8R,

'LkonKbd'

Offline Romeo

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »
Do you want it in here or like PM it to you?
Before I read this post, I had already sent a PM in regards to this question to you.

LkonKbd

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 01:32:08 PM »
Have not recieved any PM yet.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »
I just sent you another one.  I am sure you looked at the top:
Code: [Select]
Logged in as: LkonKbdThen, as you move over to the right, you will see
My Controls · Inbox (2)

LkonKbd

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 02:00:10 PM »
I just sent you another one.  I am sure you looked at the top:
Logged in as: LkonKbdThen, as you move over to the right, you will see
My Controls · Inbox (2)
Yes sir that is there here is a copy paste of that area:

My Controls · Inbox (0)  Â·

just taken.  Do not know what is wrong.

You have my e-mail addy and that will do until this is worked out.

CU L8R,

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 02:00:10 PM »